Last meet

Dive in

"If you have been to 3 or more swim meets, you have the chance to qualify in finals. Your coaches will decide if they want you to swim at finals or not. The competition will be on Saturday at Blue Bee pool. Competition starts at 8 am, warmup at 7:30. See you there!" 

Jungkook annonces to all the swimmers huddled around him. Lisa had given him the responsibility of announcing finals after practise. 

After he's done speaking, all the swimmers begin to leave, excluding a few of his that stay behind.

"Jungkookiee! Am I swimming at finals?" Hoseok beams, approaching the boy with a bright smile.

When Jungkook sees the boys face, he doesn't want to let him down. He feels bad however Lisa already picked the three swimmers that she wanted to swim and Hoseok isn't one f them.

"Uhh, well Hoseok.. I was having a hard time choosing and.." Jungkook has trouble with saying no to people, especially one with so much spirit.

"That's a no." Yoongi says from beside Hoseok. The boys face drops all of a sudden and Jungkook feels awful.

"I.. you're swimming in finals next year! I just wanted to see Taehyung and Yoongi swim this year but next year it'll be you." Jungkook says, watching Yoongi and Taehyung light up.

"Don't three swimmers usually swim from each group? Who's the third?" Hoseok asks with confusion on his face. 

"Well... Lisa made that decision and she... chose me." Jungkook says with guilt. Hoseok just nods, a smile re-appearing on his face.

"That's okay! I believe in you, in all of you. Fighting!" Hoseok says with a joyful smile before walking away from the small group. 

Yoongi looks from Jungkook to Hoseok, deciding to follow the boy.

That leaves Jungkook and Taehyung. Jackson and Jisoo had left earlier.

"So I'm swimming in finals?" Taehyung asks once the two boys have left.

"Yep. I put you in fly, is that okay?" Jungkook asks the younger. 

"Yeah.. is Yoongi swimming free or fly though?" 

"Fly. I'll be swimming the free." Jungkook says, noticing a sudden hesitation in the younger boys face.

"But.. I've never beat Yoongi in-"

"You'll beat him on Saturday. I know you will." Jungkook says with complete confidence. The younger boy just smiles a little, however he still doesn't show the confidence that Jungkook wants to see.

"Let's make a deal. How about if you win against Yoongi on Saturday..." Jungkook slowly leans in to the boys ear to whisper the next few words. 

"I'll take you on a date." 

Taehyung feels himself shiver, and it's not from being cold. He's taken aback from the lifeguards words and doesn't know what to say.

"But..what if.." 

"Taehyung." Jungkook interupts, backing away from Taehyung slightly, only to look sternly at the younger boy with something Taehyung has never seen. 

"I believe in you." Jungkook says, his voice deep. Taehyung nods, starting to let the lifeguards words sink in. 

He can do it. He can win.

~

"Hoseok stop walking so fast." Yoongi groans for the millionth time as he watches the light haired boy trot in front of him.

Hoseok stops walking and waits for Yoongi to catch up before continuing to walk fast again. This time Yoongi decides to stop him though by grabbing the boys wrist.

"Seriously Hoseok. Is something wrong? I'm bored of walking in silence." Yoongi rolls his eyes while Hoseok just looks at the ground, totally not focused on Yoongi's hand on his wrist. 

"No. Everything's fine." He says but Yoongi just laughs. 

"Why are you laughing!" Hoseok raises his voice suddenly, looking up to see Yoongi just staring right at him, smile fading.

"I know you want to swim in finals. I'd give up my spot for you if you really wanted but I want to face Taehyung one final time." Yoongi spills out, regretting his words suddenly when he sees Hoseoks eyes widen.

"You'd... what?" The younger boy asks suddenly, trying to remember the grouchy boys sweet words.

"Nothing." Yoongi mutters, letting go of the blonde boys wrists and continuing to walk. 

"Yoongi-ah, you said you'd give up your spot... for me? You'd give up finals for me!?" Hoseok starts, making Yoongi suddenly really regret not controlling his own words from coming out.

"Whatever Hobi. Just shut up." Yoongi says and Hoseok shuts his mouth instantly. However he quicks his walking pace to catch up to Yoongi, smiling brightly as they walk home together. 

~

"Mom, are you coming to my finals competition? It's this Saturday." Jungkook says with no effort as he comes home from his later lifeguarding duty. 

His mother was late too, just getting in from work a few minutes ago. Now she's making supper, for both of them. It's been a while.

"Jungkook-ah I don't know. I'm busy as I've told you before. I probably won't have time, new shipments are coming in that morning and I have to be there to help organize." His mother says while boiling noodles on the stove.

"Alright mom." Jungkook says, making no effort to beg his mother to come. He doesn't need her to come. He doesn't need her support. He can swim by himself if that's what she wants. 

He doesn't need her to be proud of her for once.