Day 5- evaluation

Dive in

"Ignore me and do what you always do. I won't be here the whole time, only until I feel I've seen enough." Namjoon says with no hint of humour in his tone. 

Jungkook stands outside the, one and only lane 6, Lisa next to him and his swimmers patiently waiting in the water. 

He had prepared himself all night for this evaluation, hoping everything would go well.

Jungkook had filtered out everything in his mind that would affect him like his mother, Jimin and Taehyung.

All that's left is just him and his coaching skills.

So Jungkook starts the swimmers with a 300m warm up, not looking at Taehyung once as he explains it.

Namjoon stands next to him and Lisa, clipboard in hand as he watches Jungkook speak.

It's a little nerve racking when Jungkook see's the older man staring at him and not at the swimmers, not even once. 

 ~

When warmup finishes, Jungkook is all set to start the practise. He's written his ideal practise on the whiteboard and begins to explain it. 

Everyone had told him to set up a hard practise. Jungkook was iffy at first but he knows for the most part that some of his swimmers are capable. Maybe.

"After doing the 4x50 sprints, you'll have 300m of pull." Jungkook says, continuing to avoid eye contact with Taehyung, who seems to be looking up at him. 

However once Taehyung finishes the 4x50 sprints, he slams the wall hard and Jungkook can't help but sneak a glance.

The boy is breathing heavily, chest rising up and down quickly as he pulls his goggles of his eyes. He his lips slowly and Jungkook quickly diverts his eyes back up before he starts to get distracted.

"Alright great job everyone! Now that you've had a 30 second break, let's start the 300m pull." Jungkook says enthusiastically so that his swimmers won't look so tired.

He sits down on the block as they start the pull. Namjoon continues to take notes, scribbling quite a few things on his board. It's impossible to tell what he's thinking as he writes, so Jungkook doesn't even try to assume he's writing good things. 

Halfway through the pull, Jungkook notices something strange. Jackson passes Taehyung and starts to swim in back of Yoongi. Of course Taehyung was never great at pull, but Jackson was never better.

Jungkook keeps a lookout for the boy, who seemingly slows down quite a bit during his laps. He takes a breath almost every , unlike everyone else.

"How many laps do they have left?" Lisa asks the lifeguard, watching Taehyung slow behind. 

"There's still 6 laps left." Jungkook says less confidently causing Namjoon to look up for a second.

Jungkook's eyes squint to the tanned swimmer once more, noticing him going even slower than before. His arms barely bring him anywhere.

The lifeguard stands up from the block he was sitting on, sweat dripping down his face. What's wrong with Taehyung? Why is he slowing down? Why did Hoseok just pass him.

"Jungkook-ah, I think something's wrong with Taehyung." Lisa says quietly so only he can hear. Jungkook turns to face her, seeing a worried expression on her face. 

He turns back to see Taehyung just touching the wall on the other side of the pool. It's deep there so he can't reach the bottom to take a break and that worries Jungkook. 

Instead of staying at the wall for a little longer, Taehyung pushes off, behind everyone, and continues to swim, his cheeks tomato red.

"When he gets to this wall I'll ask him what's wrong." Jungkook says to Lisa. She just nods and continues to watch the boy carefully.

However after a few more slow , Jungkook suddenly notices the young boys face scrunch up in pain when he takes an breath. He stops his immediately and tries to reach for the bottom. 

Taehyung is still in the deep end so when he tries to touch the bottom, he just sinks under water, his pull-boy floating out from between his legs. 

Jungkook watches him sink underwater and suddenly his eyes widen. He looks from Namjoon who's looking at his sheet, to Lisa who's looking back at him with the same expression. 

They stare at the spot Taehyung went under water at for a few seconds, hoping he'll come back up before Jungkook has to go and save him.

He does pop up after 5 seconds, and Jungkook is relived for one second, until he notices the pain on the boys face.

"H..help, my leg..." Taehyung lets out a pained cry, not loud enough for many to hear but Jungkook can hear every strangled word the boy says. 

Something's wrong with him and he needs help. He splashes around in the water, one hand clutching his upper thigh. His eyes dart over to Jungkook and they call for help.

Without any hesitation, Jungkook takes off his sunglasses and runs to the other side of the pool where Taehyung is closest to.

Namjoon looks up from his paper when he spots the lifeguard anxiously running. His eyes widen suddenly when he notices one of Jungkook's swimmer currently splashing aggressively in the water and calling for help. He puts down his clipboard and alerts the other lifeguards surrounding him.

Most of the swimmers in lane 6 have now stopped what their doing as they watch Jungkook reach the other side of the pool and dive into the deeper water.

Taehyung continues to clutch his leg with one hand, trying to hold his body up in the water with the other. 

Jungkook swims quickly over to the boy, reaching him in pure panic. He gets there pretty quickly though, close enough distance to hear Taehyung groan.

"Taehyung what's wrong?" Jungkook asks breathlessly once he reaches the struggling boy.

"My leg... it cramped up and it really hurts for some reason." He says, a few tears leaving his squinting eyes as he talks to Jungkook.

Jungkook quickly nods before pulling the younger boy back first onto Jungkook's chest and doing eggbeater back to the wall he came from.

He holds Taehyung tightly to his chest with his left arm while his right arm pulls through the water to get to the wall.

Many swimmers have now stopped swimming to watch the scene play out, even Namjoon watches with wide eyes as the boy does the procedure. No one is panicked because Taehyung isn't yelling anymore but just crying from the pain of his leg cramp.

Even Jungkook tries to stay calm, when in reality he feels so scared and nervous for the boy. Even though it's just a cramp.

"It's going to be okay Tae." Jungkook says calmly, fighting his grip around the boys body as he continues to make his way to the side. Once he reaches the wall, he calls over another lifeguard to help.

Of course, Lisa is already there, getting ready to help pull the boy out of the water. Once Jungkook gets Taehyung into a better position, him and Lisa count to three before lifting him out of the water and onto the cement surrounding the pool.

"What's going on?" Lisa asks to both Taehyung and Jungkook. Jungkook looks to the boy who's clutching his thigh and crying. He decides to speak for him.

"He has a leg cramp, I can deal with it. Make sure the other swimmers continue the set and keep an eye on them. You can decrease it to kick instead of pull." Jungkook says to Lisa all in one sentence and she nods before standing up and rushing back to the lane.

Jungkook crouches next to Taehyung, who sits with his one leg sticking out, his hand still on the place that hurts.

"Is it just there that hurts?" Jungkook asks the boy who hiccups from crying.

He nods, not looking at Jungkook but rather his leg.

"Hey, look at me." Jungkook says to Taehyung who hiccups again. He slowly looks up at Jungkook with a pained face that makes Jungkook feel sad.

"I'm going to help you." Jungkook says and Taehyung just nods and looks back down.

Jungkook follows procedure and he suddenly takes a seat next to Taehyung and gently takes his hand away from his thigh.

Then he slowly grabs the younger boys leg and sets it down on Jungkook's lap, creating a blush from the younger.

"The only way to get rid of a cramp is to massage it out. Is that okay with you?" Jungkook asks Taehyung, his hands just ghosting over Taehyung's thigh that rests on his lap.

"Yeah." Taehyung says quietly, his eyes still watery. 

With the okay, Jungkook with both hands, begins to massage the boys upper thigh. His thumbs dig deep into Taehyung's muscle and the boy gasps a little when Jungkook finds where the pain is.

"O..ouch that's where the cramp is." Taehyung looks up with pain on his face. Jungkook locks his eyes with Taehyung's while continuing to massage the specific spot.

"Just a little bit longer and it'll be gone." Jungkook says before looking back down at Taehyung's meaty thigh.

Jungkook looks over to lane 6, noticing that his swimmers have continued to swim with Lisa at watch. However he suddenly remember that he was accompanied by Namjoon, who was indeed evaluating him.

And now, Namjoon is no longer in sight. Jungkook worries a little, realizing just now how badly he did during this practise. It was the worst practise they've ever had and it was all his fault. He saw a few of his swimmers skip laps. He pushed his swimmers too hard. Even when he knew some couldn't do it. Taehyung couldn't do it.