Butterfly

Dive in

Taehyung's legs are shaky as he enters the marshalling area, taking a seat behind lane 2. His heart is still beating fast, and he's not sure if it's nerves or because of Jungkook. 

So many thoughts run through the boys head, his cheeks tinted red when he thinks about the previous events. 

And how careless he was. He let Jungkook... jack him off...where anyone could have walked off to and saw. He'll have to yell at the boy later but right now he's thankful the boy distracted him before the race.

But now, Taehyung sits in his chair, Yoongi sitting in a chair two lanes away. 

Sure Taehyung beat Yoongi in free last competition. But butterfly is different. Yoongi has always been good at it. Better at it.

"Boys butterfly, heat 1." The announcer calls out and Taehyung watches the boy in front of him head to the block. Taehyung is in heat 2, luckily. If he was in heat 3, he would for sure lose against everyone. 

Instead of sitting, Taehyung gets up from the chair and decides to stretch. 

First he stretches his arms, his shoulders and neck. Then he does his legs, calves and rolls his ankles just to get extra warmed up.

His eyes wander around the pool, to the bleachers where many people sit. 

Including his coach, who stands out more than anyone else in the crowd.

Jungkook isn't on the bleachers, but rather crouching in front of them, closer to the pool than everyone else. He has the best view of the race, which makes Taehyung a little nervous.

As Taehyung continues to look at the lifeguard, they're eyes suddenly meet. Taehyung gulps, noticing Jungkook suddenly staring at him with a warm smile. 

It's not his coach. Now, it's just the boy that he likes.

Jungkook gives him a thumbs up, nodding his head as if telling Taehyung it's going to be okay. Taehyung smiles.

"Boys butterfly, heat 2." 

Taehyung breaks eye contact with Jungkook, only to make his way to the block, trying to forget about his shaky legs and dry throat.

He puts on his goggles, struggling a little when his hands also begin to shake. And Taehyung knows that he has to clam down. Because no one ever swims well when they're this nervous.

So as Taehyung lined up with the rest of the swimmers, waiting for the whistle, he closes his eyes and takes deep breaths.

It's just a race. You've been racing every week, no one will judge you. But Kim Taehyung, you better win against that grumpy . 

The whistle goes, signaling for the boys to get onto the block. Taehyung gets on securely, standing up once he's balanced and positioning his body for a dive.

"Swimmers take your marks..." 

Remember all that Jungkook taught you. About breathing and body formation.

"Pow." 

Taehyung's instincts kick in as he's the first to push off the block, landing in the water a mili-second faster than everyone else. 

The cold water hits his body like a wake up call. Taehyung starts his stream line, moving his body smoothly like he'd shown Jungkook outside of the water.

"Remember to go even faster during the race."

Taehyung remembers everything Jungkook had told him, kicking even faster until he reaches the surface. Now, onto the first pull.

Taehyung takes his first breath, not seeing anyone else too close to him except for one, two lanes down. Yoongi.

Taehyung decides not to take anymore breaths for the whole first lap, sacrificing his lungs for speed. His touch turn is quick, gaining more of a lead.

Yoongi turns a whole second after Taehyung, causing the boy to gain confidence.

He glides again on his next stream line, kicking as hard as he can while keeping his head down. 


 However when Taehyung comes up to do his first pull, he realizes how warn out his arms feel.

Since he didn't take any breaths, his arms had been working so hard and his lungs had been dying for air.

And now, Taehyung feels himself gasping. His arms flop as he lifts his head up, up as much air as he can before his head goes back under. It's still not enough.

 With another pull, Taehyung tries again for air, slowing his pace a little in the process. 

While slowing down, Yoongi catches up, causing both boys to be in the same position.

"GO TAE." Taehyung hears many yells when he lifts his head for another breath, reminding him what he's suppose to be doing. He's suppose to be winning.

No matter how much his arms hurt, or how much he's gasping for air. It's less than a minute, he can survive. 

Taehyung holds his breath, shoving his head back in the water and lifting his heavy arms out of the water once more. It's strained, however his kick saves him, pushing him farther ahead. 

Taehyung decides not to take anymore breaths, seeing the wall only three pulls away. Same for Yoongi.

Taehyung intensifies his kick, rolling his whole body with the motion of the water as it brings him forewords. 

He accidentally opens his mouth while underwater- inhaling a good amount of water when he does his next pull.

Taehyung begins to cough, feeling as if he's suddenly suffocating from all the water accumulating in his lungs. He has two more pulls, Yoongi just at his side.

So instead of taking a breath for air and coughing up the water that's drowning the boy, Taehyung quickly pushes himself to do his last pull, pushing his arms out of the water aggressively and reaching for the wall. 

His two hands slam into the wall abruptly, stopping his whole body.

Taehyung doesn't even look where the other swimmers are, instead, he clutches onto the wall and begins to cough aggressively. Water suffocates him, rising in his chest and throat.

He coughs and gasps, causing the timer above him to look down with worry. 

"Are you alright!?" She asks when she notices the boy choking on water. 

Taehyung can't speak but he nods his head, his hand clutching onto the wall before he lets himself go accidentally.

"Excuse me, sorry, please move!" Taehyung hears a voice nearing, a familiar voice that sounds too close. 

When he looks up again, he sees Jungkook, pushing through other swimmers, making his way over to lane 2. He's quick to reach the block, looking once at the timer before looking down at Taehyung.

He doesn't even speak a word to Taehyung, instead, reaching his hand out to the boy and helping Taehyung out of the water. 

This motion only makes Taehyung cough even more, feeling so much water moving around in his lungs.

"It's okay Taehyung, just breath." 

The lifeguards voice is calm, and Taehyung closes his eyes as he feels Jungkook suddenly picking his shaking body up, carrying him bridal style. 

He feels embarrassed, making a scene in front of so many people who must now be watching him. Yoongi too.

However Jungkook is quick to carry Taehyung out of the pool area, hurrying away from the watchful eyes.

"You're okay." Jungkook says.

He carries the coughing boy to the tent area, looking down at the Taehyung who's still having trouble breathing after so much water is clouding his esophagus.

"Taehyung how do you feel?" Jungkook reaches their tent, bending down to lay Taehyung onto the grass.

Taehyung rips his goggles off his head, throwing them aside before he feels the water crawling up his throat.

"Better..I'm-" before finishing his sentence, Taehyung's eyes suddenly widen as he pushes himself to the side, water suddenly coming out his throat.

He throws up a bunch of water, coughing it out as Jungkook watches with worry. 

".. Tae-" Jungkook is about to get up and find someone to help when Taehyung grabs his hand.

The boy doesn't want Jungkook to leave, he wants-needs his comfort. 

"No..Jungkook I'm.. fine now." Taehyung says once the water is completely out of his system. He leans over, laying on his back once all the bad is over. His chest rises up and down and his eyes are loopy.

"A..are you sure?" Jungkook asks, crouching on his knees in front of the swimmer.

"Yeah.. I just.. choked on some water." Taehyung says, remembering inhaling so much water throughout the race. 

Jungkook watches the boy carefully, his breathing calming down a little. Jungkook sighs in relief, changing his poisition into a sitting one and scooting closer to the boy.

"You always push yourself too hard." Jungkook mumbles.

He runs his hand through Taehyung's wet locks, glad that his swimmer is feeling better.

"Taehyung-ah... you know you got first." Jungkook says, a smile growing on his face.

Taehyung opens his eyes, looking at Jungkook with hopeful puppy eyes. 

"R..really!" Taehyung says excitedly.

"Yep. I knew you could do it." Jungkook continues to run his hands through the younger's-now drying locks. He rolls his eyes but his smile stays.

"It was kind of embarrassing though." Taehyung's face drops, remembering making a scene just because he swallowed water instead of taking a breath of air.

"Hey... it happens. At least you had a y lifeguard come to save you." Jungkook smirks jokingly, causing Taehyung to sit up and smack the boy. 

"No but really Taehyung-ah. I'm proud of you." Jungkook smiles warmly.

Taehyung's cheeks go red, looking at his sincere lifeguard with many new emotions.

"T..thank you Jungkook." Taehyung smiles down at the ground, remembering something in the back of his head.

"Wait... does that mean you'll take me on a date now?" Taehyung looks back up at Jungkook, his face growing in confidence.

"Yep. Anything for my princess." Jungkook squeezes the younger boys cheeks, Taehyung scowling as he does so.

Both boys laugh together, happy about the turnout of the race. However as they're lost in their own world, they don't notices Yoongi, angrily walking over to his bag and throwing his goggles down in defeat.

He lost.