2017 April 01 (Spring)

First Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Jagiya, do you want me to help you make those?" I was referring to the little stars which she's still addicted to make. Our house has lots of jars full of those things. Sometimes I see them under the bed, inside the closet, even in the bathroom.

"No, you'll just destroy it," she thinks I have no talent when it comes to art. I’m a photographer for crying out loud.

I just observe her from afar. She has these paper strips kept inside a box then folds them in a way that it ends up a star in the end. She gathers them, then put it in a jar to display somewhere else. If she doesn't realize when to stop, our house will contain more stars than the entire sky for sure. Well, I hope I was just exaggerating.

"You know I have to go Seoul tomorrow morning right? I have to take care of the papers for the operation next week, plus I have to get your meds," Jaehee's finally has a date set for her operation, "Do you want to stay in Seoul longer before the operation or just the day before?"

"I want to stay here, on the island, longer..." she stopped what she was doing and turned to me, "Jagiya... remember the cottage where we agreed to meet on our first date? I want to go there."

I looked puzzled, "Now?"

She nodded, grabbed the newly filled jar of stars and walked towards me, "Now."

"Do you want me to carry you behind my back?" I offered once we were out of the gate. She gets tired easily nowadays, and she rarely leaves the house.

Jaehee scoffed, "What am I, 80? It's just a few meters away from the house Lee Suho."

We walked together slowly, and silently. Jaehee's usually the one who talks a lot whenever we're alone together, maybe her mind is too busy nowadays. Finally her D-day is coming soon, and finally, after all these years, she will be relieved from her illness.

I tried to convince myself to not be stressed out by all the negativity that comes with Jaehee's operation. There may be complications, but I believe Jaehee can overcome it all. I know she can.

"Suho ya," Jaehee rarely calls me by name.

"Mmm?" I didn't realize we arrived on our destination already.

"I want to bury this underground," she gestured to the jar of stars, "Is there a shovel here or something?"

Why didn't she say so in the first place? We had a shovel back at home. Thankfully, I found one behind the cottage. It looked old and rusty, but it will do, "Where do you want me to dig?"

I tried to pose as a model for a gardening company, and it made her laugh.

"Stop that," she approached me, gave me a tight hug, and then tried to take the shovel from me, "I want to dig it myself."

Jaehee ya you'll get tired, "Jagiya just let me-"

"I want to hide this jar from you," she answered in a low and serious tone, seconds after she smiled at me, "I want you to close your eyes for a few minutes, while I hide this and then in a few years, I want you to find it for me."

I snorted, "Why bother hiding it if we're going to dig it up again?"

"You're going to dig it up, in a few years," Jaehee sounded firm, and there's no arguing after that, "Promise me Lee Suho."

"Yeah sure," I wonder why she had to bury the jar in the first place.

As we were about to head back, Jaehee made another request. I suggested it earlier, but she wanted to avail it right now.

"Jagiya, I want a piggyback ride right now."

I walked in a slower pace, not because of Jaehee's weight, but because I want us to stay like this longer.

"I wish I brought my camera along," I told her.

"I have my phone with me," she reached for her back pocket and afterwards she began recording on her phone.

"Jagiya, say hi..."

I'm a photographer and I still find it awkward to talk to the camera, it reminded me of the cheesy recording I did for my proposal to her.

I laughed before I said, "Hi..."

"Hey, focus. Just pretend that you're talking to me," she's now on director mode, "Lee Suho ssi, how's your married life so far?"

I laughed again. Right now I'm talking to Reporter Seo Jaehee, "Do you want an honest reply?"

"Aish," Jaehee tried to stand up but I didn't let her.

"Just kidding Jagiya..."

"Are you a battered husband or something huh?" She playfully smacked my head as I said my apologies.

When she calmed down, she asked me again, "Seriously Jagiya," she sort of strangle hugged me from behind, "What's it like getting married to the love of your life?"

I pondered for a while. Of course, I felt no sadness or regrets getting married to Jaehee. In fact I couldn't picture falling in love or getting married to someone else but her, "If given a chance, I would like to get married to you again in my next life."

She didn't expect my response, but she acknowledged it, "Really? You will fall in love with me again in my next life?" she scoffed at my unusual response.

"What's wrong about that? Why? Do you want to fall in love with someone else? A doctor maybe?" I added the last part as a joke.

She smacked my head again.

She went silent for a few minutes. We heard nothing but the sound of the sea bre

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter