2014 August 26 (Fall)

First Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Are you still asleep Seo Jaehee?!"

I hear my mom's yells every morning better than the alarm I set on my phone. I looked at the clock and figured out that I'm going to be late for work, again. I broke my record yesterday for taking my fastest bath ever today, went to the closet to change, and hurried down the stairs afterwards. Seo Miyoung, my mom, is now a barista slash diner ahjumma here in Seoul. The first floor of our two storey house was remodeled two years ago and is now a café slash diner. Mom kept the Cheongsando vibe and incorporated it with our new Seoul business to earn more money.

"Mom, where's my breakfast?" I asked as I looked for her. There were many customers already, our house was just two blocks away from a school that caters elementary, middle school, and high school students. Some of those students are now eating their meal and are busy chatting at each other. Mom was positioned at the cashier, already working hard. 

She didn't hear me at all so I decided to approach her to say goodbye, and maybe grab some over-the-counter snacks before leaving. On the verge of doing my sneaky act I heard someone calling my name.

"Jaehee ya, your breakfast is with me!" the voice belonged to Han Taewoo, my childhood friend and now my cardiologist. He is now licensed to order me around, but only things that concerns my health. He lives just in front of my house, meaning he is our most loyal customer for almost always eating in our place. 

Mom finally noticed me, and if not because of the customer she was entertaining at the counter, she would've yelled at me.

I gave her a quick kiss on her cheeks and leaped away from her after saying, "I'm going now!"

I hurried my way out of the door where Taewoo oppa was waiting, his left hand on the door while my packed breakfast was hanging on his right. I took my package from him and automatically headed to his car. He drops me off to my workplace, almost everyday, before he heads to the hospital. It was just a five minute drive.

"You used to be early," he commented as he opened his car door for me. I got inside and started eating. Mom's anchovy kimbap never gets old, even if I eat it everyday. Taewoo oppa immediately started the engine and began speeding off in a fast and the furious manner, he too realized I was getting late.

"Being late... is now a... habit of... mine oppa," I answered while eating. It was just a short drive and we arrived earlier than expected. Thankful, I gave oppa a quick hug before getting out the car.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter