2014 August 30 (Fall) 1

First Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I found it hard to sleep last night. My mind was preoccupied with a lot of things, like what happened yesterday in the rain, and the letter that came from the police. Maybe it's about my father's scheduled hearing. When we found out that kidnapping a child and killing the child's mother were just one of his crimes, we immediately cut off our ties with him, I thought I knew my dad. Yes he was distant, and full of secrets, but it never occured to me that he was a delinquent man who causes harm to others underneath all his fatherly love for me.

"Jaehee ya, " my mother tried persuading me again to go at least once to my father's prison. She was holding the letter on her right hand.

"For the last time mom, no," I become so easily annoyed whenever me and my mom talk about things that involve my dad, "I don't want to go there and see my crime loving father, so I see no reason why you should. He never saw you as his wife mom, so please let us stop acting like he's still part of our family."

Mom got up, put the letter down the table, and hurriedly went to the kitchen, maybe to absorb all the harsh things I just said. I slightly bent my head to read it.

It was a bar brawl this time. It happened two years ago, but because it was ruled out to be a gang fight, no one dared to press charges. But now they apprehended my dad, they're brave enough to accuse him of killing a waiter there.

I've had enough of his inhuman acts. I took the paper, tore it into many pieces and  crumpled it before I stood up to throw it to the nearby trash can. I hear the door or our store open, we were not open until 8am every Saturdays and Sundays, and saw Taewoo oppa to do his usual morning routine.

"Jaehee ya, you're up!" he waved his left hand as he walked closer to our table, "That's a first."

"You wound your mother everytime you come here every morning to eat," I walked back to my chair and sat.

"It's an ahjumma that cooks our breakfast, not my mom," he took a bite from my rice wrap. "And you know... that she... understands..."

Mom went out the kitchen to carrying more food, and by the looks of her eyes, she was crying. I let out a huge sigh, thankful that Taewoo oppa will just see it as an exhausted face, and worried that I really hurt my mom with my words.

"Taewoo ya," she gave him an encouraging smile, "You're here already." He was still chewing, but he nodded.

Mom placed the food on the table and joined us. She did not look at my direction but acted as ifnothing's wrong in front of Taewoo oppa.

"When is Jaehee scheduled for her check-up this month Taewoo ya?"

Taewoo oppa gulped, so eager to have this conversation already. 

"In two days aunt," he answered quickly, then he sat up straight, like he's on a professional mode right now. "Because of Jaehee's persistent demand, we are left to continue monitoring her illness like before. Her cardiac activity remains consistent, but we can't be sure when it will alter again."

I insisted on not putting a pacemaker, or the ICD yet. I was still not rea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter