2014 September 12 (Fall) 02

First Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Our play starts in less than five minutes, and we were still busy rearranging our props at the stage in our mini auditorium. Parents are already seated at the audience, gadgets ready to record their child’s performance. Suho was also there, seated beside our principal, Mister Kang. He’s doing the old man a huge favor by documenting this school activity for free, but before he was positioned there, he went backstage one last time.

“Okay children, as what performers say, break a leg!” Jongin’s face looked skeptical, the others were also confused, “Not literally! I meant enjoy yourselves.”

While I was encouraging them, Suho was busy taking pictures.

“I thought you were here backstage to help me out.”

“They’ll be fine,” he assured me as well. Afterwards he went closer to whisper, “If they win, I’ll grant you a wish.”

I was left standing at the side of the stage, watching their performance, while observing the reaction of the audience, especially Mister Kang. He left good reviews to the plays before us, but I was still confident we will win. After all, ‘The Little Mermaid’ has a special place in his heart. During the part where the Prince was reunited with his mermaid, Mister Kang’s eyes looked wet.

When the play ended, everyone applauded. Parents were calling each of their child’s names out loud. I looked at the crowd and saw Kyungsoo, talking with the woman who took her home after our almost kidnapping incident. I assume she’s one of the secretaries. It seems his father couldn’t make it, again. Suho was busy taking pictures to even notice.

As expected, mister Kang awarded the best musical play to our section. I had to go onstage to receive our trophy in behalf of the kids. Everyone jumped to joy to our win, except Kyungsoo who was sulking at the corner.

“Is he alone, again?” Suho suddenly appeared at my side. We were both watching Kyungsoo, who the lady secretary was trying to console.

“Kyungsoo reminds me of you Suho ya,” I sighed. Poor kid. “I’ll talk to him later, and by him I meant the Prime Minister.”

The second part of the festival will happen in the respective classrooms of the kids, where the family battle will commence. In this part of the celebration, even the parents are competitive for their kids. I saw Kyungsoo sitting along in his chair, alone this time, still looking sad. A few meters behind him, the lady secretary was waiting. Instead of heading to Kyungsoo, I walked straight to her.

“May I speak to Kyungsoo’s father?” I extended my hand, ready to take her phone.

“Teacher Seo,” she greeted me, “The Prime Minister—,”

“Inside the halls of this school building, he is Kyungsoo’s dad,” I moved my extended hand, implying that it’s still waiting for her phone. “I would like to conduct Kyungsoo’s first parent consultation right now.”

She was in a deep thought about it for a while, eventually she gave in. She took out her phone out of her pocket and began the call.

“Prime Minister, I’m sorry to interrupt but Kyungsoo’s teacher wants to talk to you,” she was silent for a while, “She insists on having a word with you right now.”

She gave me her phone. After clearing my throat, I spoke in a calm voice, “Good afternoon Kyungsoo’s dad.”

“Teacher Seo,” he greeted back. The Prime Minister’s voice was low, but not stiff.

“Sir, do you know what we’re celebrating right now in school?” Keep calm Seo Jaehee, no pressure.

“Of course, Kyungsoo informed me about the Family Day today,” he stopped talking. It seemed like he was talking to another man before this phone call. “I’m sorry but I’m a very busy man—”

“I know that fully well Mister Do,” I wasn’t gonna act inferior for Kyungsoo’s sake, “But this family event only happens once a year. Couldn’t you make an exception, maybe just an hour or two

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter