2014 September 21 (Fall)

First Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Our boat was scheduled to leave the island in thirty minutes and Joowon decided to come with us back to Seoul. Suho persuaded him despite all his protests. He wanted to, but he couldn’t bring upon himself the thought of leaving his father alone here in Cheongsando. When Mister Park told him to go, that he had a better future in Seoul than in this island, Joowon had no other choice but to agree.

At the pier, we all said our goodbyes to Joowon’s father. Suho thanked him, I wished him good health, and Joowon hugged his father as his parting gift.

In a matter of minutes, Joowon was already fast asleep in his seat. Suho and I went to hang around at the back of the boat looking back to the disappearing island behind it. As the silence between us remained, I became easily consumed by my thoughts.

Suho assured me yesterday that nothing has changed between us, that I was still his Seo Jaehee. What made me so scared right now is that what if, when we finally get to meet my dad, he’ll realize the depth of his hatred towards him and he’ll be reminded again of the scars he carried for the past twenty-two years. And what if, when I’m finally reunited with my dad, I will not despise him much, that I will become this pathetic girl who will start to care for his father the way other daughters do? I’m pretty sure I hate my dad right now, but what if I’ll become too forgiving? What will Suho feel then?

All these what ifs, this uncertainty, made my heart feel heavier. I can’t handle these problems all at once. I don’t want to explode and wake up in a hospital again.

Jaehee ya,” Suho interrupted my inner conversation with myself. I looked at him and saw his worried face again. He’s as troubled as I was, “Why didn’t you tell me about your illness back when I still had my amnesia?”

“My illness wasn’t the issue that time, yours was,” I inhaled and exhaled, thankful that my heart I doing well today. I can go home, see my mom and Taewoo oppa, and act like nothing bad happened.

“Are you okay now? Did you take your medicine already—?”

“Jeez…” I sighed loudly and gave him a smirk, “This is why I didn’t tell you… Don’t worry, as I’m still alive and well, that means the surgery five years ago was a success.”

“But you are still… not well,” he must be remembering the times when I’m hyperventilating or when I passed out.

“There is no definite cure to my illness Suho ya, you know that.”

When we arrived at our house, mom was already outside ready to greet us. She was smiling, tying to hide the all the worries she experienced for days. And she does not know that Suho finally regained his memories.

“Jaehee ya… at last you’re home,” she towards me and gave me a very tight hug, then she moved to Suho, “How was your trip Suho ya?”

“It was fine Miss Seo,” there he is again, addressing my mom like that. She was stunned for a while. The way Suho said it, she must’ve deduced already that our trip was a successful one. When she regained herself, she turned to Joowon next.

“Is this the help that you’ve been wanting me to hire Jaehee ya, a waiter for our café?”

“No mom,” even Joowon looked shocked, “This is Park Joowon, our schoolmate back in high school. Suho’s friend remember?”

Mom was in a deep thought for a while, then her eyes lit up, “Right, I remember! You were the president who went looking looking for Jaehee when she was ill before.”

“Yes aunt that was me,” Joowon greeted my mom, “My name’s Park Joowon, nice to meet you again.”

Mom patted Joowon’s shoulder, locked arms with him and looked to us, “You three must be hungry. Come inside, I have the food already prepared.”

As we were about to go inside, I noticed someone hovering from my peripheral view. I turned to look and saw Taewoo oppa, who also looked relieved that I came back safely, no ambulance needed.

“You’ve returned?” he smiled back at me. I gave him a slight nod.

“Oh, Taewoo ya… you’ve come,” they all looked at Taewoo oppa as well, “Come inside, they just returned from Cheongsando.”

“I’m fine aunt,” he gave me a serious look, then back to my mom, “Actually I was wondering f I could go talk to Jaehee in private.”

In private. That’s new… and Taewoo oppa looks like he’s on serious mode right now. Maybe it’s scolding time again. B

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter