2014 September 12 (Fall) 03

First Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Kyungsoo’s not my child, but my wife’s son from another man.”

Suho and I exchanged looks. That wasn’t the answer we were expecting.

“Mister Do—”

“Kyungsoo is not my biological son,” he added. His face tells me he was unsure whether to tell us the truth or not, but he continued talking, “I had to marry her into the family, for political reasons… even if she was already pregnant before our marriage. I had to agree… I have lived a complicated life you see. Our marriage was just another business deal to her, and a political solution for me as well. We never loved each other, but I’ve grown to love her son. She didn’t want me to get too attached to Kyungsoo, because as soon as my term ends, our marriage ends as well.”

“Don’t you think the boy needs to know these things as well?” Suho asked. He kind of relates to what Kyungsoo is feeling right now, completely clueless.

“He’s too young to understand these things,” he answered the way Hyejoo defended their decision to keep Suho in the dark. “A child like him should continue living happily, the way a child should.”

“But you don’t get to say what makes Kyungsoo happy Prime Minister,” Suho’s predicament was the same as mine. It felt as if he was indirectly addressing it to me. He would rather get hurt by the truth, than live a life full of lies.

“I will tell him the truth one day young man,” he assured Suho, “When he’s old enough to think about serious matters like this, I will."

Suho just nodded. With the way he was handling Kyungsoo’s case, he’d be better off knowing the truth as well.

“Thank you for telling this to us Mister Do, I promise you like any other parent consultation I’ve conducted, this will be kept between us,” he smiled, feeling relieved, “I advise you though to stop restraining yourself and care for Kyungsoo like fathers should to their children. You’re his only father now, and he needs the role now more than ever. I’ve seen the efforts of the boy, it’s better to approach him sooner, before he ends up heartbroken.”

We stood up and shook hands, “Thank you Teacher Seo, but I should get going now. Kyungsoo’s not the only person waiting for me. I was at the Blue House earlier you see.”

Blue House? Could it be? “I’m very sorry if I interrupted your meeting with the President, Prime Minister.”

He laughed, “The reprimanding didn’t stop when you ended the call. Even the President was displeased at my parenting skills.”

We walked the Prime Minister to their car and w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter