2014 September 22 (Fall) 3

First Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We arrived at a different room, and instead of seeing the man inside, it was empty. An officer told us to just wait there inside while they interrogate the man who has been lying to them for years as well. I wasn’t convinced that they will discover the truth for us, but what else can we do but wait.

Suho and I just sat silently, not talking, neither of us had an idea what to say to the other. Both of us were left to wait until someone can xplain to us what happened today clearly, and what really happened to my father. I wonder what Suho feels right now. Was he relieved that the murderer who killed his mom wasn’t my dad? Or does he think that the authorities imprisoned the wrong guy for years? I was too troubled to even ask these things.

What if my father wasn’t really the murderer? Suho told me earlier that his mom and my dad were lovers before. Dad also told me before that he wanted to leave with her woman, so why does he want to kill her then? Now I feel my dad’s innocent, after all these years. If I didn’t act like a coldhearted daughter towards my own father, I would’ve found out earlier. If I didn’t shun my father out of our lives before, our lives wouldn’t be as complicated as what it is right now.

I don’t know how many minutes or hours have passed, Suho and I just kept on waiting, and just before I lost my patience, an officer came into the room and I realized that now’s the time to know the whole truth.

“We apologize about what happened,” the man sat down to join us. He looked stressed like we are, but he knows how to control his problems better than I do, “This is the first time that we’ve encountered this kind of case. Well, we could’ve avoided it sooner if you came and identified his identity before.”

Again, it was my fault, “I’m sorry too officer, we didn’t know…” How can I say this? “We didn’t know it would come to this.”

He let out a huge exhale, and then let down some papers on the table for us. It was all about Suho’s mother’s case many years ago. There were photos from the crime scene, and I could sense that it was Suho’s first time to see these. And there were also photos of the people present in that scene, before the police arrived. Before I could concentrate and look for my father’s face. He began talking again.

“Do you recall that man face, Mister Lee?” the police interrogated Suho, “was he there when you were abducted?”

Suho nodded, and I felt relieved.

“There were only two survivors in that incident, besides you Mister Lee Suho,” he pointed out to one paper where I saw Suho’s father’s name and mine, “Your father, Mister Lee, and the culprit Mister Park Jaeyeol.”

So my father really was the killer? My knees got weaker ever second.

“So…” Suho spoke for the first time, and I could sense that he was hurt about what he just heard, “If Park Jaeyeol was the one who killed my mother… why is that stranger im

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter