2009 April 15 (Spring)

First Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We avoided the beach scenes for now. Joo won said there were more land scenes than the sea scenes so he told us to focus on those scenes first. Jaehee was absent for three straight days in school, including today. Thursday is filming day, so I doubt she'll come. Actually no one saw her ever since that almost drowning incident. I sort of lead Park Joowon into deciding to visit Seo Jaehee's house, to know her condition. I think her heart problem got worse, but since no one knew about it besides me, everyone else seem clueless about her absence.

We stopped by her house after class. It was small, shabby, but enough if there's only two people living in it. I was amazed at how Joo won knew all of our classmates' addresses, and who lives with them. Jaehee's house looked empty though.

Ms. Seo Mi young, Jaehee's mother, runs a diner in this island for a living. Her specialty, as what Joo won said, was anchovy rice wrap. I have never eaten one my entire life. We headed to their diner afterwards, because there was a higher probability that the both of them will be there, if not at their home. I let Joowon do all the talking.

"Good afternoon Seo Jaehee's mom," he bowed in a ninety degree manner. what an attentive weirdo. I slightly bowed at Jaehee's mother.

Jaehee's mother was like any other Seoul lady, decent and pretty. She reminded me a lot of my mother. It made me miss her. She gave us a slight smile. "Hello, I'm Seo Jaehee's mom, Seo Miyoung."

"We came by to ask about Seo Jaehee. She's been absent for three days, she wasn't able to attend yesterday's filming as well."

I noticed her face fall, but she still kept her composure."My Jaehee has a fever, maybe because of the accident last Saturday. She wouldn't quit your play even if I beg," she noticed Joowon's suddenly saddened face, "Not that I dislike it, but Jaehee... she's a fragile child," she looked directly at me, "I would appreciate if you lessen her burdens for her. Jaehee's so stubborn, but that doesn't mean she's always strong."

She knows. She knew that I know about Jaehee's condition. Park Joowon looked confused, but let it pass.

"We will lessen her burden, we promise. Sorry for all the trouble and about the accident," Joowon smiled, "I hope that she'll be back tomorrow."

We decided that it was best for us to leave. Joowon still felt strange about why Jaehee's mother kept implying that she's weak. I acted passive about it. We were about to turn at the corner when we heard Jaehee's mother calling my name.

"Wait here," I tell Joowon, and ran back to Jaehee's mother.

"She wanted me to give you this," she handed me a note, I looked back at the diner, making a conclusion that Seo Jaehee is inside, her mother nodded, as if answering me, "Keep an eye out for her for me."

I nodded and went back to Joowon, who looked even more confused. "What was that all about?"

"Nothing... She just told me that we should eat there next time," I put Jaehee's note on my chestpocket and we head home.

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter