Promise

Life Goes On With or Without us

The Next Day

BaoMing and EunMi were at Lisa place getting ready for the party. BaoMing had a on some white shorts with a large blue and white striped sweater on. EunMi was sitting on the bed, she had her long brown hair down with a pink head band on.

“Umma where are we going?” EunMi asked

“Do you remember DongHyun ajussi?” EunMi nods, “Well, we’re are going to go to his son’s birthday?”

“Ajussi has a son! But ajussi looks so young.”

“Hey, what are you trying to say about umma?” EunMi looks away with a smirk, “Anyway, his name is DongWon, and he is your oppa.”

“Oppa? But I don’t know him umma.”

“It is okay, you’ll like him. He is just as fun as you.”

 

Minah was setting up the table with a couple of her modeling friends. Julia was at the stove stirring the pot. Minah had a bright red short dress that cling to her body.

“Minah, where is DongHyun oppa?” asked Minji

“He getting that brat ready for his birthday party.” She sighs, “I really wish he’ll just look at me for once and not worry about that bastard of his.”

“Oh,Minah ah I heard that ‘she’ was coming back?” Minah slams her hands on the table

“I thought we talked about this. Don’t ever mention her to me.”

“I’m sorry Minah.”

DING DONG

Julia walks out of the kitchen and goes and opens the door. Boyfriend were at the front door with gifts in their hands.

“Hello, please come in.” The guys walk into the house dressed in suit and tie. Minwoo stares at Julia. She gives him a smirk.

“Oh where is DongHyun hyung?” asked YoungMin. Julia broke from her concentration.

“Umm…Young master is getting DongWon ready. But please enjoy yourselves.” Julia gave one last look at Minwoo and left them in the living room. Minwoo almost seen disappointed.

“So tell me why we are all dressed up again?” ask Hyunseong, fixing his bow tie.

“I don’t know hyung just said to dress up nice.” Reply Jeongmin, “Plus it is his son 8th birthday we shouldn’t worry about that and just enjoy the party.” Just then JeongMin hears somebody scream his name

“JeongMin oppa!” Minji runs to and clings onto his arm, “I miss you oppa.” All the guys had a smile on the face looking at the awkward couple.

JeongMin removes her arm from his, “Minji, it nice to see you too.” Minji just grabs holf of him again and leans on his arm.

“Jeongmin ssi.” Minah walks from the kitchen

“Hello noona.” He bow

“I see Minji found you.” Minah smiles, “She really likes you.”

“Unnie!” Minji lets go of Jeongmin’;s arm and pouts

“I am correct. Who was the one that ran over here just to meet her, oppa.” She crosses her arm, “Now hurry up, we need to finish up the food.” She looks at the guys, “The gift table is in the kitchen, come help if you guys aren’t doing anything.”

Everyone walks follows into the kitchen. There was still decoration that needed to be put up and food that weren’t put on the table. Minwoo spots Julia decorating the doorway.

“Umm…I’ll go and help Julia decorate.” He had a suspicious look, “I’m not too good with food.”

“I’ll come and help you too.” said Kwangmin. They both walk over to help Julia decorate the doorway. JeongMin and the rest of the guys help out Minji and Minah with the rest of the food.

DongHyun walks in with a white dress and a black tie holding DongWon’s hand. DongWon had the samething one except he had a bowtie and a blazer on. Minah walks over and kisses DongHyun on the cheek.

“Looking good there Hyunnie.” She looks as DongWon, “DongWon ah, you look very cute today.”

“Thank you.” He says with an expressionless face. He lets go of DongHyun’s hand and walks over to Minwoo and Julia.

 

 

“Happy birthday to DongWonnie~.” They sang, “Happy birthday to you.” Everyone clapped.

“Make a wish DongWon.” DongWon nods at his ajussi. He closes his eyes and makes wish before blowing out the candles. DongHyun keeps looking at his watch and towards the door.

“DongHyun.” DongHyun jumps and looks at Minah, “What are you doing over here? DongWon is waiting for you.” Minah drags DongWon back to the dining room. DongWon sits at the dining table playing with his food. DongHyun walks over to him.

“DongWon ah,  do you not like your birthday?”

“No appa, it great.” DongWon puts his fork down and leans on the chair.

“What is wrong then?” DongWon sighs

“I don’t know appa.” DongHyun looks at his son.

“How about we open your presents?” DongWon nods. DongHyun goes and grabs a gifts from the table and sets it in front of DongWon.

“Sorry for being late.” Everyone attention was set on the familiar voice, “We knock on the door but no one came to open the door so I let myself in.”

“Noona.” Says Youngmin.

BaoMing had a casual dark blue dress on that was right above her knee. EunMi was holding her hand with a small gift bag in her other hand.

“Hello everyone.” BaoMing smiles as she saw all the familiar faces of her friends, but there was one face she wanted to see the most.

“BaoMing umma!” DongWon hops off his chair and ran to hug her. BaoMing bends down to hug him too. “BaoMing umma.” His voice broke, “I missed you so much.”

“I missed you too DongWon ah.” She pulls DongWon away, “DongWon ah, I want you to meet somebody.” She pulls EunMi closer to her side, “This is EunMi. EunMi this is DongWon, your oppa.”

“Happy birthday, DongWon oppa.” She hugs DongWon

Minwoo and the twins were surprised, DongWon had a dongsae.

“Noona,” says Minwoo, “Did you just say that DongWon was her oppa?”

BaoMing stands up, “Ne, EunMi is DongWon’s dongsae.”

“So that means that.” KwangMin had a puzzled look. He looks over at DongHyun, “Hyung you been messing around again haven’t you?” Jeongmin hits Kwangmin on the back of his head. Some laughed some was surprise at his action.

“Babo. Looks closely.” Yells Jeongmin, “Who does that child look like to you?”

Minwoo and the twins took another look at EunMi, who was hiding behind BaoMing because of her crazy ajussi.

“Noona is she.” YoungMin points at BaoMing

“Yes, she is DongHyun and my child. She is DongWon’s half sister.”

“WHAT!!”

 

Everyone was sitting down in the living room. Julia and Minwoo set some drinks on the coffee table. DongHyun Minah, and YoungMin sat on one couch, JeongMin, Minji, and Hyunseong sat on another, and BaoMing and Kwangmin sat on the last couch. EunMi and DongWon were playing with his new toys. Minji and Minah cling onto the arm of their man. But everyone kept their eye on BaoMing. BaoMing takes a sip of her water acting like she didn’t notice.

“Noona,” KwangMin spoke up, “where have you been these last few years? Didn’t you know how worried we were?”

“First off I’m going to say sorry for anything that I did wrong to you guys.” She wipes her hand on her skirt. “But to answer your first question, I’ve been in Ilsan since I left. I have been staying with Yoona unnie and Joon ajussi. After having EunMi I became head security at Mr. Im’s company.”

“Why did you come back?” Jeongmin says sadly. Everyone’s eyes were focused on Jeongmin.

“Jeongmin!” Minwoo says with a stern voice

“There has to be a reason why she is here.” He looks at Minwoo, “ Nobody just come back because they want to.” BaoMing chuckles

“You’re right Jeongmin, you’re sharp as always. I did come back for a reason.” She looks at DongHyun, “I came back to finish my job.”

“Job?” says Minji annoyed, “What job do you have here?” BaoMing gave Minji the F*** off look.

“Outsiders should remain as an outsider.” BaoMing takes a deep breath, “We’ll talk more about this when there aren’t too many ears listening.” BaoMing stands up, “EunMi and I will be leaving.”

“Leaving?” say DongHyun, “You guys just got here.” He stood up quickly

“We have to go, don’t worry I’ll come meet you at your office tomorrow.” She looks at Jeongmin, “Can I trust EunMi with you guys tomorrow?”

“Yes.” BaoMing gives a smile and walks in towards the kitchen to find EunMi. DongWon and EunMi were making origami with Julia. The other followed her to the kitchen.

“BaoMing,” says Julia, “Are you guys leaving already?”

“Yes,” BaoMing gave a small smile, “EunMi ah, c’mon dear we have to go home.” EunMi got off her seat and walked towards her.

“BaoMing umma.” DongWon ran and got a hold of BaoMing’s other hand, “Where are you guys going?”

“We’re going home.”

“But this is your home.” BaoMing squat down and pat DongWon’ head

“DongWon ah, are you scared that you won’t see us again?” he nods. BaoMing chuckles, “BaoMing umma promise that you’ll see EunMi and me tomorrow okay. I’ll bring EunMi to the ajussi house and you guys can play.” DongWon still had his head down. BaoMing pulls his chin up and saw that he was crying. “DongWon, why are you crying?” DongWon looks up at DongHyun then back at BaoMing.

“I don’t want to stay with appa.” His voice broke, “I don’t want to stay with him or her.” BaoMing looks back and saw Minah holding onto DongHyun’s arm. “She is the reason why umma died.”

“Kim DongWon!” yells DongHyun, “We already went over this.”

“She did she killed umma!” his tears were streaming down his face, “If you didn’t stay with her so much while umma was alive, maybe umma wouldn’t have died.” EunMi and BaoMing stood there in the middle of the argument not knowing what to say or do. BaoMing took one look at DongHyun. He looks lost and didn’t know what to do; he knew in his heart his son hated him for the lost of his mother but what could he do. He couldn’t just bring her back. BaoMing turns to EunMi.

“EunMi ah, why don’t you go and stay with Julia ajumma while I talk to your oppa.” BaoMing looks at Julia and she took EunMi back to the table. BaoMing refocus back onto DongWon and wipes his tears away. “I’m going to take DongWon for a walk I’ll be back with him.” She grabs a hold of DongWon’s hand and walk towards the door.

“Ming.” They stop in their track.

“Oppa!” Minah grip became tighter on DongHyun

“Let me go with you.”

“No, I think it is for the best if you stay here.” She looks back at him, “Why don’t you get to know EunMi a little bit. I’m just taking him around the block.” BaoMing they exit the door.

 

 

BaoMing is slightly pushing DongWon on the swings.

“DongWon, let go home now.” He shook his head. BaoMing stops the swing and stood in front of DongWon. “Why? Your appa is waiting for you.”

“Appa doesn’t care about DongWon, he only cares about her.” She squats down.

“What if your appa really loves her? Did you want appa to be sad?”

“No, but why does it have to be her?”

“DongWon ah, sometimes in life we can’t pick and choose who we want in our lives. They just come.” She smiles, “Like you for example, I met you and your umma on the street. I didn’t choose to meet you guys but it just happens. That is life DongWon ah, you just have to get used to Minah. Your appa really loves her.”

“What about you BaoMing umma?” he looks into her eyes, “Don’t you love appa?”

She didn’t know how to reply. “Umm…I don’t love your appa. Your appa has already moved on. BaoMing umma doesn’t matter anymore.” She takes his hands, “But BaoMing umma will always be your umma and whenever you need me I’ll be there.”

“Promise?” he takes out his pinky

“I promise.” she wraps her pinky around his, “Why don’t we go back now?  EunMi might be waiting for us.” DongWon grabs her hand and they walk back to the house.

 

 

EunMi had cried herself to sleep in DongHyun’s arms. Everyone else seems tried and exhausted after trying to quiet EunMi down. The only person she let hold her was DongHyun. The girls left home after cleaning.

“Hyung how did you do that?” said YoungMin

“I don’t know. She just kind of slept.”

“So hyung, is she really yours?” ask Minwoo, Everyone stared at him, “I mean how do you know she really is yours?”

“I don’t.” everyone was surprised, “But I trust Ming.”

There is a knock on the door. Julia goes and opens the door. BaoMing walks into the living room carrying a sleeping DongWon.

“Noona,” KwangMin gets up, “Let me carry him.”

“No it is fine. I’ll just take him to his room.” Julia showed BaoMing to DongWon’s bedroom, her old room, and leaves back to the kitchen. She sets him down on his bed. She caresses his face and then went down and kisses his cheek. “I’m sorry DongWon ah.” She walks out of the room and slowly closes the door.

She leans on the door for a bit, her attention was taken by the slightly open door to the baby room. She slowly opens the door and enters the room, nothings change, not even the furniture in the room changed around. She slowly glides her hand over the crib, a small smile appears on her face.

“I couldn’t do it.” She quickly turns around. DongHyun was standing with his hands in his pocket. She gave him a confused look, “I couldn’t take down things in this room, it reminded me too much of you.”

“Why?” he sighs and walks towards her.

 “For some reason I knew you would come back to me with our daughter. I didn’t know when but I knew someday.” He takes a looks around the room, his focus at the diaper changing station, “Give me a sec.” he walks and opens the tops drawer. He pulls out a brown journal. BaoMing was is shocked

“Is that…?”