Coming Back

Life Goes On With or Without us

“What?” said DongHyun’s appa, “Did you say SM?”

“Yes.” Reply Lisa

“Why?” Lisa looks at DongHyun.

“Me?” says DongHyun, “But I thought that we were finish with this business years ago.”

“Apparently not.” Says Jaejoong, “It seems that they want something and we need to figure that out.”

“How do you know that?”

“Yesterday there was a break in at your house and everything was trashed around and your two employees were tied down in the basement. Since they’re here it seems that they didn’t find what they needed.” Says Junsu

“So what is DongHyun supposed to do?” ask Minah

“He’ll need to go under protect again.” Says Jaejoong

“Wait, you don’t mean?”

“Yes, DongHyun will need somebody with him 24/7.” Jaejoong looks at BaoMing.

“No.” BaoMing quickly rejects the idea, “No, I’m not going through this again.”

“Ming, it is the only way to protect him. If they see one of us with him they’ll know that we’ve caught on. We can’t have Lisa there either because they know who Lisa is.”

“They know who I am too.”

“Actually they don’t.” says Junsu

“What?”

“They think that you’re just his Chinese wife who is a martial arts freak and left after you found out about Jessica.”

 “So, me suddenly coming back after all of this isn’t suspicious.”

“Ming, the important thing is saving somebody.”

“Please BaoMing as a mother to mother, help us once more.” Pleads Mrs. Kim

BaoMing sighs and looks back DongHyun. She didn’t want to get back into that kind of life again. She was happy living with EunMi. But then again she’ll love to see everyone again.

“I’ll have to think about it.” She walks out to the front porch. She leans onto the railings. She hears the door closed behind her. DongHyun was standing by the door.

“Ming, before you say anything I just wanted to say that I’m sorry.”

“For what?”

“For dragging you back into all this.”

“I didn’t say yes.”

“I know.” He walks over to BaoMing, “But I also know that you’ll never say no to family and people you love.”

“At least you finally learned something about me.”

“Ming.” He smiles, “I don’t care if want to go back or not, but you have to remember there is a little boy back in Seoul still waiting for his BaoMing umma.” There was an awkward silence

“How come you never told me that Jessica passed away?”

“You never gave me the time.” He leans against the rails and look towards the street,” She left us almost two years ago. She was in hospitalized and very weak. DongWon would refuse to go to school some days. But the day she left us DongWon was so sad, the only person he would talk to was Minwoo or JeongMin.”

“What about you?”

“Minah.” He sighs, “He didn’t talk to me because of Minah. During Jessica’s fight for her life Minah would come over often and would fight with her. DongWon always protected Jessica even though he was just a child. He hates me because of her you know.”

“And you stayed with her?”

“I had no one else. After you left and Jessica passed she was the only one there.” He takes a hold of her hand, “Ming I would really liked it if you came back with me.”

“It just like I told the others, you’ll have to give me some time to think about this.” She removes his hands, “And you have to stop doing this, I’m not your wife anymore.” She goes back inside the house.

 

Two Days Later

BaoMing walks into the building in her uniform. One of BaoMing’s coworker walks up to her.

“Sunbae nim.”

“Yes?”

“There is a package in your office.”

“Thank you.” BaoMing walks into her office and saw a large box on her desk.

“What is that?” asks DongWook, he walks over to BaoMing

“I don’t know.” She picks up the box, “There is no return address on there.”

“Why don’t you open it up?”

BaoMing sets the box back down and opens it up. There inside the box was the family hoodies that BaoMing and DongHyun bought four years ago. BaoMing picks up the note inside the box.

Remember when you left me this? It was a sign that you’ll come back. Now I’m giving it back to you as a sign that I’m still waiting. The other hoodie is still waiting to be worn as a family.

She quickly puts the note down and takes the hoodies out, an adult size and a kid size.

“What all this?’ asks DongHyun

“Nothing.” She puts the hoodies and quickly closes the box up, “DongWook, I’m going to go and talk to Mr. Im for a bit.”

“Is it about resigning?”

“How did you know about that?” DongWook sighs and puts his hands in his pockets,

“Boss told me yesterday that you might be going back to your old job.” He scratches his head, “I guess there won’t be any more competition.”

“DongWook.” He takes a hold of her face in his palms

“Ming, I just want you to know that you were the best thing that has happen to me.” BaoMing’s face was priceless, “And if that jerk ever, and I mean ever, hurts you just give this oppa a call.” He lets go of her face and walks out of the office.

 

“Ming have you made your decision?” ask Mr. Im

“Yes, sir.”

“And it is?”

“I’m going back to Seoul. I need to finish what was started.”

“Just fill out your resignation letter.”

“Yes sir.”

“Ming, I just want you to know that you’ll always have a home here with us.” BaoMing smiles and leaves the office.

RING RING

“Hello?” answers Mr. Im, “Yes, she on her way back to Seoul now. Yes. Have a good day too.”

DongWon and the guys were playing games on the wii in DongHyun’s living room. There is a knock on the door.

“Julia, door.” Says Minwoo.

Julia rushes to open the door. Minah was at the door with a fruit basket.

“Here.”

She hands the basket to Julia and walks towards the living room and sits right next to DongHyun. She leans on his shoulder. DongWon stares at them then leaves to his room. Minwoo gives the control to Hyunseong and follows him.

“Minah, I told you don’t do that in front of him.”

“He is just going to have to get used to it.”

 

DongWon goes and sit on his bed, with his feet dangling over the side. He grabs his picture frame from his night stand.

“Wonnie,” DongWon lift up his head, “Are you okay?” Minwoo sits next toDongWon.

“Why does appa do that?” he looks down at the picture again, “He cares more about her than he does about me.”

“Wonnie you that isn’t true, your appa cares about you very much.” Minwoo puts his arm around DongWon, “I’ve known your appa for some time now and I can say that he loves you very much.”

“How do you know that?”

“When he found out that you were his son he was so happy. Your appa was very happy because he finally had a child to call his own. And I know that no matter which girl he brings into his life you’ll always be the apple of his eye.”

“DongWon.” Minwoo and DongWon looks at the door. DongHyun walks and squats down in front of him.

“I’ll leave you two alone.” Minwoo gets up and leaves.

“DongWon, I’m sorry about Minah. I know you don’t like her but I promise I’ll never forget about you.” DongWon keeps his focus on the picture in his hands. DongHyun slowly takes it out of his hands and looks at it. It was a picture of Jessica, DongWon and himself.

“I miss umma.”

“I know, I do too.”

“The other day I had a dream about BaoMing umma and a little girl, umma was there too. BaoMing umma said that she was my sister. She was really cute. We played a couple of games then I woke up.”

RING RING

DongHyun picks up his phone and leaves the room, “Hello?”

“DongHyun ajussi?”

“EunMi?” a smile appear on his face, “Why are you calling ajussi?”

“Umma is packing our stuff she said that to call ajussi.”

“Why is your umma packing your stuff?” DongHyun was puzzled

“Umma said something about Seoul and coming to live with grandpa YoonCho and grandma YiSoo. She said it is just for a little while.”

“Can I talk to your umma?” EunMi give the phone to BaoMing.

“Hello?”

“Ming?”

“Yes?”

“EunMi said you were coming to Seoul.”

“Yes, I never leave a job unfinished.”

“So after all this is done you’ll just leave?”

“I don’t know.” BaoMing folds a shirt and puts it into her suitcase, “It DongWon’s birthday tomorrow, what are you planning?” DongHyun stayed quiet, “Don’t tell me you forgot your own son’s birthday?”

“No, it just I’ve been busy.”

“Kim DongHyun what am I going to do with you?”

“Okay how about this, we do it here at my place and you guys can surprise him.” BaoMing smiles and sits on her bed.

“Where are we going to stay? EunMi and I are already ready.”

“Umm…” DongHyun thought, “How about at Lisa noona’s place. I’m pretty sure she wouldn’t mind.”

“Okay…that means I’ll have to call unnie then. DongHyun ah?”

“Yes?”

“Does DongWon still like cars?”

“Yes, he won’t let me get rid of that car you bought him.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, when he first got it he wouldn’t even allow me to put it in the garage. Sometime he even slept in it.” BaoMing giggles

“Ok I’ll see you guys tomorrow. Hurry and go buy his decoration.” BaoMing hangs up.

DongHyun walks back into the room, DongWon was laying down on his bed with his back facing DongHyun. DongHyun walks towards him.

“Hey, let go to the store and go pick out your birthday decoration for tomorrow.” DongWon gets up.

“You remembered?”

“If I don’t remember my own son’s birthday what kind of father am I?” he gives DongWon a smirk.

“I thought maybe you might have forgotten.” He had a smile on his face. DongHyun picks him up.

“Did you want to take all your ajusshis too?” DongWon nods in reponse.