Unfinished Business

Life Goes On With or Without us

“What am I to you then?” BaoMing and everyone look towards the living room door. BaoMing stood up in disbelief. “Am I just something you can throw away now?” BaoMing shook her head.

“Unnie. Jae oppa, Junsu oppa, YooChun oppaa,” They all stood at the door way. Lisa looked like she was about to cry and was out of breathe.

“Don’t forget about me.”YooHwan comes out from behind his brother. BaoMing was on the verge of tears and didn’t know what to do or say.

“Unnie what are you guys doing here?” she asks Lisa. Lisa walks over and flicks BaoMing in the head.

“What do you mean what are we doing here?” Lisa raises her voice, “We’re here because of you. DongHyun’s parent told us that you were here so we drove here as fast as we could. I don’t even know how many car I almost ran into.” Lisa looks behind BaoMing, “Is she-?” BaoMing looks behind her.

“Yes.” BaoMing nods.

“You’re horrible did you know that.” She pinches BaoMing’s cheek. “Leaving me and taking my niece without telling me.”

 

(Next Day)

DongHyun pulls up into the drive way of the Im’s house. He saw his father, Mr. Kim, and Mr. Im sitting on the front porch.

“Appa. Mr. Im.”

“Morning son.” Says Mr. Kim, “Where is your friend?”

“Oh…she is in the car.” Minah gets out of the car, “Where is everybody? And why are there so many cars here?”

“Ming’s oppa and unnie came. They’re all in the backyard. Mr. Im is having a BBQ for Taecyeon and Yoona today.”

Minah grabs hold of DongHyun’s arm, “Morning ajussi.”

“C’mon lets go to the backyard. Everyone else is over there.” DongHyun hold onto Minah’s hand and walks to the back of the house.

Yoona, BaoMing, and Lisa were setting the table with Yoona’s mom. YooChun, Junsu, Taecyeon, and Jaejoong were setting up the grill. EunMi and DongHyun’s mom were putting the flowers in to the vases. Everyone was having fun and catching up.

“Yoona unnie, I’m really sorry for what happened yesterday.” Says BaoMing

“Ming, it is fine.” Said Yoona,“DongHyun told me everything yesterday.” BaoMing looks at Yoona, “Why did you tell me that you were married to my friend.”

“It was complicated and plus I was already leaving him.” She smirks and laid the napkins on top of the plates. “Plus he already has somebody else.”

“Are you talking about Minah?”

“I’m talking about Jessica.”

“Ming,” BaoMing looks at Yoona

“What I wrong?”

“Jessica is dead.”

BaoMing had shock expression on her face. She was speechless and didn’t know what to say. She slowly puts the napkin down.

“DongHyun said that after you left she fought the cancer for almost two years and she finally left them.” Yoona sighs, “But that Minah girl is something else.”

“Hello everyone.” Says DongHyun. His eyes wander but caught right unto BaoMing’s. Minah smiles at everybody until she saw DongHyun gazing at BaoMing. She rolled her eyes at BaoMing.

“DongHyun.” She tightens her hold on DongHyun’s arm, “I’m going to go and ask your mom if she needs help with anything else.” She pecks him on the cheek. BaoMing looks away. “You can go hang out with the guys over there.” Minah walks towards DongHyun’s mom.

DongHyun walks to Taecyeon, “Morning Jae, Chun, Hwan, and Su. Morning Taecyeon.”

“YooHwan ajussi.” EunMi ran to YooHwan with a bunch of daisies in her hand. YooHwan picks her up. “I want to give these pretty flowers to you.”

“What about your umma and ajummas?” ask Jaejoong, “Are you sure they don’t want the flowers?”

“No, umma and ajummas are already pretty. The ajussis are the ones that needs flowers.” She put a daisy behind Jaejoong’s ear and then everybody else except DongHyun.

“What about DongHyun ajussi?” asks Taecyeon, “Don’t you want him to look pretty?” EunMi shakes her head and looks at YooHwan.

“I don’t like this ajussi.” DongHyun smile fades. Everyone looks at EunMi then back at DongHyun.

“Eunmi, why don’t like this ajussi?” Taecyeon points at DongHyun

“Ajussi was being mean to umma yesterday. He made umma cry.” She looks at YooHwan, “And umma never cries, even if she is hurt.” She plays with the last daisy in her hand.

DongHyun puts on a fake smile, “EunMi ah, ajussi is sorry. Ajussi just haven’t seen your umma in a long time and was mad at her for leaving without telling us. So will you forgive this bad ajussi of yours?” DongHyun made a sad face. EunMi thought about it and then nods.

 

Minah walks over to the table and says hi to everyone. She stops by BaoMing.

“Ming,” she said obnoxiously, “How have you been?” BaoMing turns and give Minah a fake smile.

“I’ve been great, thanks for asking.” BaoMing crosses her arms, “So how is your modeling job going?”

“Fine, thanks you. I’m on a two month break; our next photo shoot is going to be in Jeju. I would have liked it if you come. But you have a kid now so I guess you can’t.”

“Sorry Minah I have to finish setting up the table.  So let’s talk later.”

Minah scoffs and walks to DongHyun’s umma and ask her if she needed any help.

Yoona counts how many people there were.

“BaoMing,” says Yoona, “can you go and get another folding table from the house. I don’t think this is going to be enough room.”

“Yes.” BaoMing walks in to the house and comes back out with a white folding table. DongHyun saw her and went to help her.

“Ming let me get that.” He grabs the table’s handle right out from her hand and carries it to Yoona. “Yoona if you need any heavy lifting just ask me.”

“I was it just that you looked like you were having a conversation with EunMi so I didn’t say anything. Plus we weren’t doing much anyways.”

BaoMing walks to DongHyun. He looks at her with a smile.

“I need to talk to you later.” She turns around and walks into the house to get the meat ready for grilling. Minah looks from afar and saw DongHyun’s stupid smirk.

“Don’t think I’m letting him go without a fight, Han BaoMing.” She snaps the stem of a daisy.

 

Pretty soon everyone gather at the back porch for a delicious Korean BBQ. YooHwa notices that EunMi wasn’t eating her onion.

“EunMi ah” She looks up at YooHwan, “Why aren’t you eating the onion?”

“I can’t.”

“Why?”

“I’m allergic to onions.” DongHyun’s head suddenly shoots up. His gaze went from EunMi to BaoMing who was trying very hard not to look back, “Whenever EunMi eats them EunMi feel like EunMi can’t breathe. Umma said it is because EunMi’s appa was allergic to onions too.”

“EunMi ah,” says BaoMing, “Here eat this.” BaoMing puts two pieces of cook steak on her plate.” EunMi looks at her, “Don’t worry umma made some special steak without onion for you and…” BaoMing pauses before she could finish her sentence.

“Thanks BaoMing.” Says DongHyun.

Minah looked like she was disgusted with the scene. She quickly picks up a piece of steak and put it into her lettuce wrap.

“DongHyun, here I made this for you.” She puts the wrap close to DongHyun’s mouth. He opens his mouth and at the wrap.

“Thanks Minah.” Minah smile at him and give BaoMing an ugly stare. BaoMing stands up.

“Please excuse me for a bit.” BaoMing walks into the house. YooHwan gets up and follows BaoMing into the house.

“What up with those two?” says Minah

 

BaoMing walks into the kitchen and leans on the counter. She exhale sharply and pats her face.

“What is wrong with you Han BaoMing?” she says to herself.

“Ming?” she quickly stood up, “Ming, are you okay?” asks YooHwan

“No, I’m alright.” She lied, “It was just getting a hot out there for me.”

“Ming, how many times do we have to tell you,” he lean in, “you at lying.” YooHwan crosses his arms over his chest, “Now what is the real problem?”

BaoMing crosses her arms too, “If you know me so well, shouldn’t you know what wrong with me?”

“Minah.” BaoMing nods, “Ming, why are you letting that bother you.”

“I don’t know.” She turns so that her back was facing YooHwan.

“It is because DongHyun is it?” BaoMing’s body went stiff, “You still have feelings for him.”

“Is it that obvious?”

“Only to those who knows you well enough.” YooHwan turns BaoMing around, “You should give him another chance.” BaoMing gave him a surprised look, “I know, I know, but you should’ve seen him the last four years, I think if it wasn’t for DongWon he would have broken down already.”

“Hwan”

“Ming, I know I shouldn’t say this but you know how much I liked you.” BaoMing nods, “Well he loves you more. I don’t know what you did to that poor boy but let just say he did a 360.” BaoMing scoffs, “Fine a 270. But he has changed a lot since you left. He has been the best father he could be for DongWon.”

“You really think so?”

“I’m not forcing anything. But just think it over.” He pats BaoMing’s head and walks back out.

 

After lunch the girls cleaned up and the boys put everything else away. EunMi and Jaejoong ended up playing on the swings. When all the work was done everyone relaxed in the backyard. BaoMing sat on the stairs of the porch, DongHyun sits right next to her. BaoMing stared at him like he was going to get her into trouble.

“Didn’t you say you wanted to talk to me?”

“Yes,” she nods her head.

“We’ll lets go.” He grabs her hand and walks to the front yard, “So what did you want to talk about?”

“Umm…,” BaoMing play around with her shirt, “I did a lot of thinking and…”

“And what?”

“I think we ended things pretty badly and-.”

BANG!

DongHyun grabs BaoMing and hugs her.

“What was that?” he asks.

“A gunshot.” She pushes away from the hug and grabs his wrist and ran towards the backyard. Several more gunshot could be heard and everyone started to scream in the back. DongHyun flinches each time he hears a gunshot.

When they made it to the backyard, Jaejoong had, a scared, EunMi in his arm running for cover behind a bush near the swing. Lisa and YooChun were getting the parents inside the house while YooHwan and Junsu were trying to get the Taecyeon, Yoona and Minah back towards the house safely. All of Mr. Im’s guards were armed with their guns out pointing towards the backyard.

“DongHyun I need you to run towards Jae oppa and grab EunMi and run towards the house.”

“What about you?”

BaoMing pulls a hand gun from her boot, “I’m going to cover you while you do it.”

“No,” he grabs her arm and turns her to face him, “I’m not gonna let you protect me again and put your life in danger.”

“I’m not protecting you.” She looks at DongHyun in the eyes, “I’m protecting my daughter, our daughter. So when I count to three I want you to run over to Jae oppa, grab her and run into the house without looking back.”

DongHyun took one look at BaoMing and nods. When BaoMing counted to three DongHyun ran towards Jaejoong with BaoMing right behind him ready to shoot. When DongHyun got to Jaejoong EunMi was already crying and covering her ears.

“DongHyun, why are you still out here?” asks Jaejoong

“Ming wants me to bring her to safety.” DongHyun takes a hold of EunMi, “EunMi, ajussi is going to take you to somewhere safe okay?”

“What about umma?”

“Umma is going to be alright. But ajussi has to take you to somewhere safe okay? I promise I’ll protect you.” EunMi nods, “Jae.” Jaejoong turns around, “I need you to cover me as I run into the house.” Jaejoong nods and runs right behind DongHyun as he ran into the house with EunMi.

When DongHyun got into the house everyone was sitting in the living room holding each other. As soon as Minah saw DongHyun she ran to him.

“DongHyun.” DongHyun put EunMi down, “I was so scared.” EunMi ran and sat next to Yoona and Taecyeon. Minah holds onto DongHyun’s arm.

“DongHyun,” says Yoona, “Where is Ming?”

“She is still out there. Don’t worry; she is great at what she does.”

The shoot out went on for a while before the police finally came. BaoMing and the rest of the crew came in. EunMi jump off the couch as soon as she saw her mom.

“Umma!” she ran

“EunMi.” BaoMing picks up her daughter, “Were you scared?”

“Yes, but ajussi said that he’ll keep me safe.” BaoMing looks at DongHyun stands up from the couch and notice Minah clinging onto his arm. She recognizes the same look that she saw four years ago, when she got injured and everyone found out about EunMi, his relieved expression.

“Thanks DongHyun.”

“It was no problem.”

“BaoMing dear,” says Mr. Im, “Who was that out there?”

“We don’t know yet sir. Lisa is getting on that.” BaoMing puts EunMi down and walks over to Mr. Im, “I’m sorry Mr. Im.” She bows, “It my fault that the intruders got onto your property.”

“No need to apologize now. We’ll see how bad the damage was first. Was anyone hurt?”

“A couple of flesh wounds, nothing serious.”

Lisa walks in with Jaejoong and Junsu right behind her. She looked troubled.

“What wrong unnie?”

“They’re back.” She replies

“Who?”

“SM”