From Beginning to End

Life Goes On With or Without us

Italic = flashback

“I don’t understand you.”

BaoMing cries while driving, his last couple of words rings in her ear.

“I don’t understand why you have so many secrets and decide to tell me them all at once. You know how broken you left me.”

Her heart ache, but she knew she couldn’t turn back.

“ I felt like dying when I found your box, you telling me that you love me and that you were still pregnant, then you tell me to stay with Jessica and love her, you know how hard that was.” DongHyun’s eyes were starting to tear up,

“I hate you Kim DongHyun.” She whispers to herself.

 “Did you know how hard it was to live those four years knowing that you and my daughter were still out here? I didn’t know if you were alive or dead. When I went to ask Lisa and the hyungs about you they ignore me like I was some stranger.”

She came to a stop at a red light and takes a look at EunMi, who was sleeping, and smiles. “I’m sorry baby.”

 

DongHyun walks back to the building where everyone else was leaving. Yoona and Taecyeon were apologizing and thanking the entire guest. His parents including Minah were standing at a corner waiting for him.

“Umma,” Mrs. Kim had a troubled expression, “Appa.”

“DongHyun, what were you thinking acting like that?” Mr. Kim scolds him, “This was an important day for Yoona and Taecyeon and you and your,” he looks at Minah, “friend ruin everything.” He points his finger at DongHyun, “You and your friend over here needs to go and apologize for this childish behavior.”

“Yes appa.” He grabs Minah’s arm and walks towards Yoona and Taecyeon.

“DongHyun ssi.” Said Yoona in a very anxious voice

“We’re very sorry Yoona for ruining your big day today.” Minah and he bows

“DongHyun ssi, I need to talk to you later,” Yoona looks around, “Just us three.”

 

Yoona, Taecyeon, and DongHyun walks into a room down the hall, Taecyeon looks around before closing the door. They all take a seat.

DongHyun looked kind of nervous.

“DongHyun.” He looks up at Yoona, “Why don’t you explain the situation to us?”

He looks at Taecyeon who was standing behind Yoona and sighs, “She is –.” He leans forward, “BaoMing is my ex-wife.” Yoona was taken aback. “About four and a half year ago BaoMing and I were arranged to be wed, by my parents, after the whole Jessica incident. After Jessica I just thought that women were leeches and who wanted money. So I treated her like trash, I cheated on her with Minah right in front of her, and I beat her until she bruise but she did nothing; and I didn’t understand why. And about a month and a half into our marriage I found out the reason why she never did anything.” DongHyun felt a lump in his throat as those memories came back to him; the way BaoMing groan in pain every time she got slapped or punched and yet she held back. Tears started to fill up in his eyes

“What was the reason?” ask Yoona. DongHyun looks up at the two.

“She was paid by my parents to protect me from a thug who was related with Jessica; and she was pregnant.” He pauses, “I took her innocence, without her permission.”

“You r- her?” she stutter from the disbelief. DongHyun nods his head and look the other way.

“I found out after she was injured form protecting me the night of my appa’s get well party. I felt guilty so I made a contract with her, that as soon as the child was born and she finished her job she could leave. I could tell how heartbroken she was to leave her child. Within that week her agency decided that she needed help with the mission and send in her team to protect me while she recovered. Umma told me to take her baby shopping and I could tell she was really happy; we bought a crib and a family outfit for the little guy. One night we had a party so that she’ll get to know the guys a little better and two of her team members were there. She went into the closet to grab extra pillows and blankets for the guys and slipped, but her friend caught her. I happen to walk in and got the wrong idea. So I went to my room and called Minah out of anger and said I told her that I didn’t want the child that BaoMing was carrying and that I didn’t care if she left of stayed. We talked for a while before I heard the boys start to talk in the living room. I went out of my room and saw all the guys in a state of panic. (This is him telling his story Chp 12)

“What are you guys all doing up?” DongHyun final comes out of his room with his cell in his hand.

“Hyung, noona’s stomach hurts. What should we do?” asks Minwoo.

“As soon as Minwoo said that I notice her sitting on the sofa sweating. I drop my cell and ran down the stairs to her side. Everyone was running and panicking but all that went through my mind at the time was her.”

“They said they’ll be here in 30 minutes or so.” Youngmin says. DongHyun squats in front of BaoMing.

“That is too late.” Jeongmin says, “We’ll have to take her.”

“Are you okay?”

“I remember when I ask her if she was okay, I look into her eyes and all I seen was hate and sorrow. Like if she wanted to kill me she would have.”

“Don’t touch me.” She moves her hand from his hold. Her breathing was getting heavier.

“I’ll carry her to the car Hyung.” Jeongmin carefully carries BaoMing bridal style, but the pain was already too much for her.

“Noona!” yells Youngmin. BaoMing blacks out from the pain.

“My heart dropped when I saw her limp in Jeongmin’s arms. I wanted to run and carry her in my arms but I was frozen and I didn’t know why.”

“We have to hurry.” Jeongmin hurries towards the door with Hyunseong behind him. DongHyun didn’t know what was going on. He has never seen or heard BaoMing use that tone before.

“Hyung is that blood?” Minwoo points at the couch. DongHyun quickly goes over and there was a bloodstain on the spot BaoMing was sitting on.

“BaoMing.”

“I ran out the door chasing after the car knowing that I might lose my child because I thought that I did something stupid.”

“DongHyun ssi, what happen to BaoMing afterwards?” ask Taecyeon. DongHyun rubs his face with his hands

“When I got to the hospital the doctor came out and told me that she had a miscarriage, when she was conscious she asked for a divorce and I couldn’t say no after what happened. For the next couples days after that she became different. She ignored me and was only there when I went out in public to protect me. One day she brought home this little boy named DongWon, he was adorable. She told me that his mom left him in her care. He enjoyed Minwoo’s company and adored the guys but when it came to me I felt like we had a bond. The coming week I found I noticed that BaoMing kept throwing up and had become paler, but that didn’t stop her from doing her job. The day of out concert Minah and BaoMing got into an argument and I took Minah’s side without hearing both side of the story. It was like they predicted that I was being targeted, I twisted my ankle while trying to escape.”

“DongHyun, can you just skip to the part about why BaoMing left?” said Yoona

“After we went to Jeju a lot of things happen. I notice that I started to fall in love with her and DongWon. I felt like we were a family. But who would have thought that having Minah around would ruin things, I remember she looked at me in the eyes and said ‘I hate you’. She left that morning with DongWon back to Seoul. No too longer after I left on tour and we were supposed to meet up in Taiwan where the next attack was going to happen. A couple days before leaving to Taiwan I was getting photos sent to me, by an unknown number, of BaoMing leaving a clinic. I ignored at first but then I decided to call her. She said everything was fine so I let it go. She came to Taiwan a couple days later and I meet DongWon’s umma, she had a face mask because she was sick. I tried to tell her I like her but it didn’t come out. So after the concert nothing happen so I want to tell her but we got attacked. She tried using herself as a distraction but it didn’t work, they had us cornered. Their leader EunHyuk pointed his trigger at me and fire the gun DongWon’s umma block the bullet. When she fell onto my lap her mask came off and it was Jessica. All I remember was crying hoping that she would die.”

He sighs remembering everything that happened in those short 5 months.

“When we got to the hospital I forgotten all about BaoMing and only focus Jessica. It felt like the love came rushing back. I couldn’t stay mad at her, but I didn’t know that it would upset BaoMing so bad. After she finish BaoMing left like she promised. But before she could I told her my real feelings but was rejected.”

Yoona thought hard and long before asking another question.

“This doesn’t make any sense, when I met BaoMing she was still pregnant.”

“She lied about her miscarriage.” He smirks, “After coming back from the tour she left, me, a box with a letter, a picture, and our family hoodies. When I open the box up I saw a picture that didn’t make sense, when I flip it to the back I saw the name ‘Kim EunMi’, and I understood she was still pregnant.”

“So what have you been doing these past couple of years?”

“Searching for her and my daughter.” He leans back with his legs cross

“Where is Jessica now?”

“She dead.” He sighs, “I lost her a while ago.”

 

EunMi ran to her room as soon as they got home. BaoMing was about to go to the bathroom when her phone rings. She looks at the caller ID and it was Mr. Im.

“Hello, Mr. Im?”

“BaoMing, are you okay?”

“I’m fine sir; I’m sorry about what happened tonight. I didn’t know thing were going to happen like this.”

“Ming I need you to come to the house now, is that possible.”

BaoMing look towards EunMi’s room, “Sir, I um…”

“Bring her too.”

 

Mr. Im and DongHyun’s parents were sitting in the living room waiting of BaoMing and EunMi to arrive. DongHyun’s parent were really anxious to see BaoMing and their granddaughter after four years.

“So…YoonCho ssi, what so special about BaoMing?” ask Mr. Im as he took a sip of his tea

“BaoMing is our daughter- in-law, she was DongHyun’s third wife.” Said Mr. Kim

“Third daughter-in-law?” said Mr. Im

“Ne…” said Mrs. Kim, “She left after DongHyun’s second wife came back with his son.”

“Did you guys know that BaoMing was pregnant when she left?”

The Kim lowered their heads, “No… she faked a miscarriage two months before leaving my son. She felt that he didn’t love her or the child because we arranged it for him. About two days later after his concert in Taiwan she came and paid us a visit and left. No one knew where she went not even her cousin One day after DongHyun came back he came running into with tears in his eyes.”

Mr. and Mrs. Kim are sitting in the living room having tea when they heard the door slam closed. DongHyun came running in with a picture in his hand, out of breathe, and tears in his eyes.

“What wrong son?” asks Mrs. Kim

“Umma…”he walks and falls right next to her and hold her hand.

Mrs. Kim didn’t know what just happen. She slowly lifted up his chin and looked him in the eyes, “What wrong…tell umma.”

“She left me.”

“We know she left my son.” she pats his head, “You’ll just have to learn to live without her.”DongHyun shook his head.

“She took my child with her.”

“What are you talking about?”Said Mr. Kim, “You’re not thinking straight.”DongHyun gave the picture he was holding to his father. “What is this?”Mr. Kim looked at it, Mrs. Kim leaned in to take a peek.

“An ultrasound.”says Mrs. Kim. She looks at DongHyun and smiles. She hugs him but she knew that if they couldn’t find her there wouldn’t be a chance in th world that they’ll see her again.

“Why did she leave? If he loved her so much that should have been enough to keep her from leaving; Jessica was gone for almost four years before coming back. This story doesn’t make any senses. BaoMing is such a strong girl surly this wouldn’t happen to her.”

The door opens

“Umma? Appa?” Mr. and Mrs. Kim look and saw BaoMing holding EunMi in her arms, “What are you doing here?”

“Ming.” Mrs. Kim got up and goes to BaoMing, “Come, come sit.” BaoMing and Mrs. Kim go and sit. Mrs. Kim couldn’t keep her eyes off of EunMi, who was sitting on her umma’s lap.

“Umma?” EunMi looks up at BaoMing, “Who are they?”

“EunMi ah,” said Mrs. Kim, “I’m your halmeoni.” She had a smile on her face. EunMi looks at Mrs. Kim before looking back at BaoMing.

“Go and say hi.” EunMi gets of her lap and walks towards DongHyun’s parents. Mr. Kim picks up and sets her in his lap. “Appa, umma, what are you guys doing here?”

“They came here to see you.” Said Mr. Im, “So why didn’t you tell me that your husband was my good friend Kim YoonCho? “

“Sorry Mr. Kim it was strictly business.”

“Business?” Mr. Im looks at BaoMing then his friend, “What kind of business?”

“I can’t tell you.”

“Why?”

“I’m under restriction not to tell other clients’ information to others.”

“Clients’?”

“Joon ssi,”says Mr. Kim, “leave the poor child alone she had a long day.”

“YoonCho ssi, what exactly is she talking about?”

“BaoMing wasn’t just DongHyun’s wife.”

“Appa!” BaoMing protests

“She was DongHyun’s protector.” He looks at her, “She was a secret agent.”

“What are you playing at?” smiles Mr. Im, “I get it that BaoMing is my head of security but a secret agent? What are you trying to do? Make a movie.”

“Joon the reason why you or Yoona didn’t know about BaoMing was because we kept it as a secret.” Said Mr. Kim, “His life was in danger and we couldn’t go to anyone else so we ask BaoMing to help us, but we didn’t understand that our son would’ve reacted the way he did.”

“Appa, umma,”BaoMing said in a soft but serious tone, “Why are you guys really here for?”

Mr. and Mrs. Kim looks at each other before answering. “Ming,” says Mrs. Kim, “We need you to come back with us. DongHyun hasn’t been the same since you left. The band was disbanded and the DongWon,” BaoMing’s head shot up, “he needs an umma.”

“What about Minah?”

“Minah isn’t what he is looking for. Yes she satisfies his needs, yes she there and yes she loves him but she isn’t what he needs; what they both need is you.”

BaoMing sat there and thought about it over and over in her mind. She really did want to go back and see DongWon and the guys again. But she didn’t know what was stopping here from doing so.

“Umma, I’m sorry. There isn’t anything left for me back and Seoul.”

“What am I to you then?” BaoMing and everyone look towards the living room door.