Chapter 19

You're Still The One

Mel: (whispered to Kim) Check out Gerald’s face, parang he’s about to cry while staring at you. Para syang streetchild na napapa-bayaan.

Kim: Ew… He looks like he just got out of bed at hindi man lang nagsuklay or naligo even! Laki pa ng eyebags like he hasn’t slept for days. Karma is a honey!

Mel: Ang sama natin pinagtatawanan natin kawawa na nga yung guy. Pero in fairness ha kahit he didn’t bother to fix himself today gwapo pa rin sya.

Kim: I know, para syang streetchild na gusto kong i-uwi at i-shower. Wait, did I just say that? (giggled)

Mel: Ikaw ha kahit hate mo na sya you’re still thinking malicious thoughts about him. Remember friend, galit ka, wa’g mong pagnasaan ang enemy. Ano ba yan!

Ms. Jenkins: Mel, Kim, would you mind sharing with the rest of the class kung anong nakakatawa?

Kim and Mel: Sorry po Maam. We’ll listen to you na po.

Shaina: What were you guys talking about sa class ni Ms Jenkins?

Mel: Ito kasing si Kim, pinapansin ang mga walang ligo sa class.

Shaina: (thinking about Gerald’s unusually untidy look). Oh I get it. You guys are so mean, nilalait nyo pa. Don’t you feel sorry for him Kim? Ano ba kasing sinabi mo on the weekend to make him look that sad all day?

Kim: Naku nag-dramatic moment talaga ako. May pa ‘stay out of my life’ speech talaga ako. Diba ang taray?

Shaina: Poor Gerald. What did he say?

Kim: He begged for a while but I guess he got tired of up so he eventually accepted the fact that he had to let me go.

Shaina: Is that what you really want? To completely erase him out of your lovelife?

Kim: I think…I mean what are my other options?

Shaina: You could give him another chance. To me, he still seems genuine. The sadness on his face says it all.

Kim: I do miss talking to him and having him around. Did I make the right decision?

Mel: Naku kagagahan na yan if you still let him get away with it after what he’s done. He cheated on you tapos you’re ok with it? At least have your revenge muna.

Shaina: He didn’t really cheat.

Kim: He didn’t do anything kahit hinalikan na sya? In my vocabulary that’s called cheating. Anyway, I want to get my mind off Gerald so let’s drop this subject. By the way Mel, ok lang ba if you get a lift with Shaina after school? Enchong is picking me up. We’re going to the movies tonight.

Shaina: Huh? Are you for real? You never hang out with Enchong on weeknights. You haven’t even cleared out your problems with Gerald, nakiki-involve ka na agad kay Enchong?!

Mel: Dapat lang to take her mind off Gerald. He’s not the only fish in the sea.

Kim: Ano ba kayo, we’re just friends and he knows it. He’s heard about what happened with Gerald, he’s just been very supportive.

Shaina: Yeah right, he’s only around for support. You’re not that naïve, alam mo na he thinks he can score with you especially now that Gerald’s out of the picture.

Mel: Gerald’s loss is Enchong’s gain!

Shaina: Ano ka ba Mel, kanina ka pa Enchong ng Enchong dyan! Pakasal na lang kaya kayo, parang ikaw ang crazy for Enchong eh. I hate his guts. There’s something about him I don’t like.

Mel: You’re just saying that because you like Gerald for Kim.

Kim: Guys, shut it please. I’m seeing Enchong tonight just as a friend, nothing more. Hindi ko sya type.

*********************************************************

Enchong: Thanks for coming with me to the movies Kim. I had fun. It’s still early, you wanna go somewhere so we can talk?

Kim: Ok, let’s go to a café.

~ At the café ~

Enchong: Don’t worry Kim, it will take time but you’ll learn to forget about your feelings for Gerald. I’m always here to help you out, I can help you forget.

Kim: Thanks E. I appreciate having you as a friend in times like this. I’m still confused kasi Shaina had a point when she said that he wouldn’t look that depressed if he really just wanted to toy with my feelings.

Enchong: He could have at least pushed Anika away when she tried to hold him. You know a lot of men are like that. They like the chase but once they get what they want, you just become one of their collections. Gerald is that typical kind of guy.

Kim: You’re right. Men! Can’t live with them…

Enchong: You know Anika goes to my school. She told everyone last week na Gerald ditched you daw to get back with her.

Kim: Say what?! I was the one who dumped him!

Enchong: Sabi pa nga nya kanina na he said daw that he dumped you na kasi hindi daw sya makapag-close with other girls because you’re so clingy daw.

Kim: Arhhh! He said that? Kapal talaga ng mukha ng unggoy na yun! As if! He pursued me not the other way around! I so regreted ever getting into his trap. Humanda ka lang sakin Gerald. You picked the wrong girl to mess around with!

Enchong: Anika said pa nga that she thinks he got sick of you kasi sobrang simple mo lang daw. Gerald likes girls na nagpapay but you’re too innocent daw. Let’s just not mention bad topics anymore. Enjoy na lang natin tong cakes and coffee cause we gotta head home soon.

Kim: Innocent huh? At least I don’t act like a y ho’ na wala naman palang maibubuga. Thanks for the treat tonight E. I feel relieved to know that I made the right decision letting him go. I’m glad we had a talk.

******************************************************

Anika: Hi Gerald.

Gerald: Anika, didn’t I ask you to leave me alone? What are you doing coming to my house?

ANika: I just want us to be friends Gerald. You’ve never been disrespectful to women, wa’g ka namang bastos.

Gerald: What do you expect Anika? That I’d still wanna be friends with you after you’ve ruined my life? You are the reason why I lost the love of my life. Kim cannot even spare me a glance dahil lang sa napaka-walang kwentang babae! I’m sorry to be rude pero that’s how I feel right now.

Anika: You talk about her as if she’s little miss innocent angel. Do you know what she’s up to tonight? Nakipag-date kay Enchong. Palagay ko pinapalaki lang nya ang incident, acting so jealous para she can have a reason to ditch you because she wants to be with Enchong. Syempre she can’t just drop you cold and start going for Enchong because ayaw nyang masira and kanyang ‘goody-two-shoes’ reputation.

Gerald: Get out Anika! Kapal ng mukha mo. You have the guts to come here para lang siraan si Kim? Don’t you dare put things into my head! I don’t ever wanna see your face again. You’ve ruined any chance na maging friends tayo ulit. If you don’t leave me alone, I’ll get a police order just to keep you away, understand?

*********************************************************

Enchong: Hello Anika? Great news, Gerald is all yours. He doesn’t stand a chance with Kim anymore, I made sure of that last night.

Anika: No Enchong, hindi successful ang plans natin. Gerald doesn’t want to talk to me. I’ve tried so many times this week, even went to his place pero pinagtabuyan ako. He’s so mad that he’s even blocked my phone number.

Enchong: Oh sorry to hear that. If it’s any consolation, Kim is so mad at him so he won’t be able to get the one person that he really wants.

Anika: Buti nga sa kanya.

***********************************************************

Kim: Sige na please Mel, do this for me. While class hasn’t started yet please go, lapitan mo na sya.

Mel: Ikaw na lang bes, baka iiyak yan ako pa ang ma-send sa principal’s office.

Kim: Please, please, please.

Mel: Sige na nga but you’re coming with me.

Kim: Ok, I’ll be right beside you.

Mel: Hi Gerald.

Gerald: Oh, hi Mel, hi Kimmy.

Mel: Gerald, Kim has asked me to tell you something. (sweetly smiled)

Gerald: Yes? (“They’re both smilling. I hope na miss nya ako.”)

Mel: Welcome to dumpsville. Population? YOU!

Mel and Kim both laughed as they were walking away. Gerald just looked down trying to hold back his tears.

Shaina: You guys are so mean. Ginamitan nyo pa talaga ng Homer Simpson line? Gusto nyo bang ma-heart attack yung tao?

Kim: Ok lang, like as if he has a heart anyway. (said it loud enough for him to hear)

Mel: Bes, we’ve been so sinful this week that I’m actually feeling embarrassed to step inside the church. We’ve insulted Gerald every chance we could get the whole week. The poor guy has been having such a hard time that at one point I actually felt sorry for him.

Kim: I know we’ve been so mean but he deserves it all. Kapal ng mukha nyang sabihin to her na he dumped me? Naku, I never thought I’d enjoy being a bully.

Mel: By the way, tuloy ba ang dance practice natin mamaya for our Christmas program?

Kim: Kayo lang muna friend ha kasi I have band practice pa. I’m not playing the drums kasi this time, I’m doing vocals for our piece.

Mel: What? You’re gonna sing in public? We are all going to surprise everyone by doing a y dance number tapos you have another surprise pa pala?

Kim: Gerald won’t know what’s hit him.

Mel: All these for Gerald? You really are having a hard time getting over him, huh?

Kim: Of course not. It’s just that we always participate in plays. I wanna try dancing and singing naman for a change.

Mel: Yeah sure. I’ve always said to you naman before pa eh na ang galing mo in dancing at ganda din na voice mo. You’re better than any performers in our school. I’m happy that you’ve finally decided to showcase your talents.

***********************************************************

All eyes were on Kim as she shocked her classmates for showing up at their Christmas program presentation in y short shorts, tank top and boots. She took everyone’s breath away (particularly Gerald) as she danced and sang “Don’t Cha” along with her friends Joyce, Mel, Shaina and Lara.

Host: Thanks girls for that hot number. You’ve left the guys screaming for more. Anyway I’m sure you’ll love our next performers. Slight change this time though, their drummer Kim, will be in vocals. Please welcome your favourite band, Rufus!

Audience: Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! Woohooo!
Everyone was very impressed with how great Kim’s voice was while singing, ‘Never Again’.

I hope the ring you gave to her
Turns her finger green
I hope when you’re in bed with her
You think of me
I would never wish bad things
But I don’t wish you well
Could you tell
By the flames that burned your words
I never read your letter
Cause I knew what you’d say
Give me that Sunday school answer
Try to make it all okay

Does it hurt
To know ill never be there
Bet it
To see my face everywhere
It was you
Who chose to end it like you did
I was the last to know
You knew
Exactly what you would do
Don’t say
You simply lost your way
She may believe you
But I never will
Never again

If she really knows the truth
She deserves you
A trophy wife
Oh how cute
Ignorance is bliss
But when your day comes
And he’s through with you
And he’ll be through with you
You’ll die together but alone
You wrote me in a letter
You couldn’t say it right to my face
Give me that Sunday school answer
Repent your self away

Does it hurt
To know ill never be there
Bet it to see my face everywhere
It was you
Who chose to end it like you did
I was the last to know
You knew
Exactly what you would do
Don’t say
You simply lost your way
They may believe you
But I never will
Never again

Never again will I hear you
Never again will I miss you
Never again will I fall to you
Never
Never again will I kiss you
Never again will I want to
Never again will I love you
Never!

Does it hurt
To know ill never be there
Bet it to see my face everywhere
It was you
Who chose to end it like you did
I was the last to know
You knew
Exactly what you would do
Don’t say
You simply lost your way
They may believe you
But I never will
I Never Will
I never will
Never again

Joaqui: Galing ni Kim no, Gerald? At ang y ng dating nya yet revengeful at the same time habang pinaparinig sayo ang bawat words ng kanta nya.

Gerald: Parang ang galit ng mga titig nya. Hope hindi para sa akin yon.

Joaqui: Obvious kaya dedicated nya sayo. Ikaw lang talaga tiningnan nya the whole time. Lalo syang naging y at kaakit-akit ngayon, I’m sure you’ve noticed.

Gerald: Oh how much I regret ever losing her. I really miss her. I really want to hold her especially right now she’s like a y goddess.

Joaqui: Sayang dude. Based on her angry song and her stares, wala ka yatang chance right now na makalapit man lang.

While they were packing up after the Christmas show, Gerald decided to talk to Kim. His heart was beating a hundred times faster than usual that he was having trouble catching his breath. “Bahala nang sampalin nya, hampasin, bugbugin. You can do this Gerald.”

Gerald: Hi Kimmy.

Kim: What do you want?

Gerald: I just want to wish you Merry Christmas and congratulate you on your wonderful performances. I heard that you’re leaving for Sydney tomorrow for Christmas holidays?

Kim: Yes. I’m spending two weeks there. Wait, why are you talking to me? May kailangan ka ba? (placed her hands on her hips)

Gerald: (Stepped a little closer to Kim and gazed into her eyes for a few seconds). Yes, I need you. (awkward silence) Kimmy I don’t want to fight. I just want to greet you Merry Christmas and to let you know that I’ll miss not seeing you for the next two weeks.

Kim: Merry Christmas. Sana you’ll learn to be a better person at hindi ka na manakit ng feelings ng iba. (walked away)