Chapter 38

You're Still The One

After a couple of days rest, she was able to get back to school. Kim and Gerald spent most of their school days practising for their closing ceremony performances along with the rest of their friends. They have just finished rehearsing for their play and Kim was leaning on Gerald’s chest, laughing at Joaqui’s joke when her mom rang. She went outside at Shaina’s garden when she realized that her mom wanted to have a serious talk.

Kim: Mom, flu lang po talaga yun as what the doctors have told you. Hindi po totoo na may chance that I am pregnant. Besides Gerald and I have not gone that far and I’m a smart person mom. I am at an age that I know what the consequences of my actions are. I’m still so young and there are still so many things I want to do with my life, I want to travel, have a career and enjoy life so hindi po ako ganyan ka-tanga that I’ll just waste all my chances by having a baby. Since when did you start listening to Mama Layla anyway? Alam nyo naman po yun minsan kung ano ano ang na-iimagine.

Kim’s Mom: She’s worried about you. One weekend daw hindi ka umuwi and you told her that you were at Mel’s pero when she checked, wala ka doon and sabi pa daw ni Mel you were at Gerald’s place. There was an instance pa nga daw that your Mama Layla noticed Gerald’s car at your place at the wee hours of the morning and nandun pa rin the next day. She may be old-fashioned but she is well aware of what you are up to sweety. One thing lang ang patutunguhan if you keep on spending your nights with your boyfriend and that is you getting pregnant.

Kim: Mom naman, don’t you trust me? There is such thing as safe you know and yes, I have heard of it.

Mom: Don’t get me wrong, I like Gerald. I just think you guys are still too young to be ually active. At the same time, you are both at that age that you guys would act on impulse. I know I haven’t exactly been the greatest mother to you kaya nga I wanna make it up even just a tad bit by putting you under your Mama Layla’s supervision.

Kim: Again? Mom, you know how strict she is! Baka totally nya akong pagbawalan to even just see Gerald! Mom, I was glad when you gave me my own place and I was finally out of her hands. Please don’t do this. If you really want to make it up to me, just trust me.

Mom: Your Mama Layla and I have talked about this and she promised to be a bit more lenient. She won’t stop you from seeing Gerald as long as it’s not during weeknights and not too late on the weekends. I also told her to let you out on weekends and she’s okay with it pero you do have a curfew of 1 am and no drinking.

Kim: Mom! This is so unfair! I have been good with my studies, in fact, I’m one of the top students in my class tapos this is what I get?

Mom: Honey, I can’t be there to offer you guidance and I’m not exactly the right person to tell you what’s right anyway considering all the wrong things I’ve done. I just want to give you a good future and you’re very lucky that you have your aunt to look after you.

Kim: Kaya nga mom eh, you’ve never been the type to act conservative. Ikaw pa nga ang nag-jojoke about boyfriends, making out and getting intimate. You’ve always been cool with everything mom!

Mom: After talking to your aunt kasi, I realized that you’re all grown up na. Sobrang close kayo ni Gerald at such a wrong time that it scares everyone that are close to you both. Pareho pa kayong walang parents that are always there to keep an eye on you two, you have way too much freedom. Basta from now on, you will be supervised by your Mama Layla and they will be moving to the big house to live with you. I know you’ll hate me for this honey but I’m sure you’ll understand.

Kim walked back into the house feeling lifeless and confused.

Gerald: Babe? Parang tulala ka dyan just staring at your purse. Is something wrong? Who were you talking to on the phone?

Kim: Uhm babe, let’s go for a drive.

Kim pumped up the music in her car and just drove. She kept driving for over an hour and had not said a word to Gerald the whole trip. Everytime he reached to turn down the volume, she would give him a sharp glare so he waited until she was ready to talk. She finally stopped in the middle of nowhere and just stared at him.

Gerald: Babe? I swear I haven’t done anything wrong. Kung sino man yung tumawag sayo earlier, if that person said things about me, sinisiraan lang ako nun. I have been completely faithful to you and I can’t think of anything that I have done that would upset you. Babe? Anong nangyayari sayo? Hello!

Throughout the whole drive she realized that she didn’t really have a big problem. Hearing her mom’s words over the phone about taking it slow with Gerald seemed like it was the worst thing ever! Like the whole world was in a whole big mess if she sees less of Gerald. Somehow along that drive she snapped out of it and laughed at herself. (“Sometimes napaka-drama queen ko for nothing. There’s nothing wrong with living with Mama Layla. She can’t be as strict with me as she used to be. I can still go out. I’ll still see Gerald everyday. Bakit nga ba ako nag-e-emote?”) Her chain of thoughts was interrupted when she noticed Gerald waving his hand at her face.

Kim: Sorry babe ha, I just felt like going for a drive and got carried away with my chain of thoughts.

Gerald: What’s on your mind babe? May problema ka ano?

Kim: Promise wala talaga babe. I was just thinking about you.

Gerald: Really? (Held her hand and touched her cheek with his free hand.)

Kim: Hold me?

Gerald: Wow ang sarap naman pakinggan ng request mo. Come here baby. (He got her to sit on his lap and hugged her tight. He gazed at her beautiful face and leaned closer to kiss her. However she was quick to stop him.) Hindi pa rin ba pwede? I doubt you’re still contagious.

Kim: May ubo pa rin ako. Kaya hanggang hugs muna.

Gerald: Tinu-torture mo naman ako babe.

Kim: Don’t worry baby, I’ll make it worth your wait!

Gerald: Naku lalo na akong na-eexcite, paano pa ako makakatulog nito?

Gerald just held her tight as he thought of how much he loved her cheeky giggles. “Babe, ang ganda ng full moon tonight. How do you feel about a late-night picnic? We can go grab some groceries, we’ll cook them at my place and drive back here for dinner. I never noticed this place before, it’s awesome. Perfect for a picnic!”

Kim: Sounds great babe pero para yatang nakakatakot din. Baka if I refuse to make out with you, you’ll push me off this cliff. Parang ang ginaw pa naman ng tubig at the bottom of this cliff kasi malamig ang hangin.

Gerald: I think I should start cooking that dinner. Lumalabas na naman yang mga psychotic thoughts mo eh. Hopefully dala lang ng gutom. I swear woman, sometimes natatakot akong you’ll snap one day and your darker side will surface. (pretended to act scared while laughing)

Kim: (laughing) I need to stop making you watch all these psycho slasher movies babe, they’re getting into your head!

Gerald: Look who’s talking! Who started all these psychotic thoughts?

Gerald and Kim grabbed some meat and vegetables from the supermarket then headed to Gerald’s place to cook their dinner. While Kim was cutting some vegestables, Gerald crept up behind her and hugged her. “Ang ganda naman ng assistant chef ko.” He started gently kissing her neck which got her weak on the knees.

Kim: Gerald tigilan mo ako, kung may making out mang mangyayari tonight, it won’t be with me. Besides your family can walk in anytime.

Gerald: They won’t be home till tomorrow so it’s just the two of us baby. Nakaka-distract ka kasi, I can’t help kiss you. Mabuti na lang you haven’t completely recovered from your flu kundi masusunog ang niluluto ko! Heck, sa hotness mong yan, we will probably burn the house down! Hehe…

Kim: Hindi pa rin pala natatapos yang corny moments mo!

Kim was cleaning up and putting away the dishes when she noticed that Gerald was getting a little sweaty. She grabbed a towel and wiped his forehead.

Gerald: Am I disgustingly sweating like a pig?

Kim wrapped her arms around him so that her body was against his. “Konti lang naman. There’s something so y about seeing my man hard at work.”

Gerald: Hmmm… There’s also something so y about seeing my woman holding her body tighltly against mine. Pa-kiss naman babe oh! I’d love to be taken care of by my gorgeous girl kung mahawa man ako. Ang sarap mo kayang mag-alaga.

Kim: Nakaka turn-off makipagkiss knowing that I have bacteria and viruses to pass on to you babe. Wait na lang tayo, ok?

Gerald: It doesn’t look like I’m gonna get my way anytime soon. Let’s just get ready to go na nga.

They packed everything they need for their late night picnic and headed back to the cliff they found earlier. Gerald set-up a few candles around their picnic blanket and they giggled and sweetly fed each other throughout dinner.

Gerald: You know what I would love to do right now more than anything else?


Kim: Hmm… I have an idea but I’m not sure if you’re thinking what I’m thinking considering you are well aware that you can’t even go as far as a kiss.

Gerald: I think I like the sound of whatever it is that’s on your mind but there’s another thing I would really love to do with my beautiful baby under this beautiful moonlight. May I have this dance, my princess?

Kim: You certainly may, my oh-so-hottie prince!

Gerald took her hands and twirled her a couple of times before trapping her in his arms. She turned around and wrapped her arms around his neck, her eyes glued to his gaze.

“From your head down to your toes, y
Such a beautiful sight to see
One look in your eyes and I'm hypnotized
The cutest little thing I've ever seen, you can...”

Kim: Babe, what are you doing?

Gerald: We’re dancing to imaginary music so I thought I’d sing out the music that’s been playing in my head tonight.

Kim: (smiled and blushing) Hmm… Cute!

Gerald continued singing while holding her in a slow dance under the stars.

“There's no greater fantasy
Than the one that I share with you
You really got a hold on me
I'm taken by the way that you move
I love what I see
That y, sweet body
I'll take you away from here
Make us feel reality, oh
You can have my money and
You can have my car keys baby
Max out all my credit cards
Till you look just like a star
I'll pay all your bills
Tell me baby what's the deal
Why I'm so into you?

Move it slow
Make sweet lovin' to me
Let it flow
Ooh you're looking so y to me
Lose control
You don't know what you're doing to me
With my eyes and my mind
I forget about it”

Kim was leaning on the tree, playing with Gerald’s hair while he rested his head on her thighs. “Babe?”

Gerald: Hmm?

Kim: What are you thinking?

Gerald: Wala namang ibang laman ang isip ko eh kundi ikaw. As I’ve said before I’m addicted to you babe.

Kim: So, anong iniisip mo about me?

Gerald: Well if you must know, (he sat up and touched her face) I’m thinking about how you are the highlight of my day. How I always look forward to seeing you. I am amazed that even though I get to see your gorgeous face almost everyday, you never fail to mesmerize me every single time. I am just blissfully happy being with you babe and I pray every single day that we will stay this way no matter what.

Kim: I feel the same way babe. Every minute that I’m with you, I can’t stop myself from smiling. I keep telling myself to slow down a bit kasi I don’t want you to think that I’m getting so clingy. Natatakot nga ako minsan that we’re moving so fast, you might get bored with my face this early in this relationship kasi araw araw tayong nagkikita.

Gerald: Of course not baby! I would never get bored with you or any part of you. My day is so meaningless until I get to see you. As I’ve said time and time again, I want to be with you every second of the day. If you call that clingy then, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that! You can cling on to me 24/7 babe!

Kim: Ang sweet mo talaga! This is why I don’t want things to go wrong between us babe, kasi I don’t think I’ll ever find someone that could be even just half as good as you. I’d be so devastated to lose you and my pride wouldn’t let me admit to that fact. Oopsie! I just did. Pero I shouldn’t think negative thoughts dapat optimistic tayo about our relationship.

Gerald: I was just about to say that. Enjoy what we have now and hope for the best.

They talked and held each other for a little while before heading back home. When Kim dropped Gerald home, he insisted on getting in his car to drive her home but Kim begged him not to bother.

Kim: It doesn’t make sense babe that you’re just driving along with me then head back home agad. You will be wasting petrol babe and contributing to our global warming crisis. I promise to call you as soon as I get home so don’t you worry ok?

Gerald: Maybe I won’t have to drive back home straight away. I’m secretly hoping that I can sleep next to you babe.

Kim: Here I am thinking that you are genuinely concern about my safety and you want to ensure that I get home safe. Yun pala meron kang ulterior motive!

Gerald: Syempre your safety is my primary objective babe pero it crossed my mind that you might not want to be so lonely tonight. Baka gusto mo na may kayakap so you can get a good night sleep.

Kim: Don’t worry baby, hindi naman ako lonely tonight kasi andun ang mga cousins ko. Lilipat na sina Papa Al sa house so I won’t be living on my own anymore.

Gerald: Really? I thought you moved out of their place dahil super strict sayo si Mama Layla mo. Bakit magkasama na naman kayo?

Kim: My mom reckons that I have way too much freedom and she’s afraid that without guidance I might do the wrong things. Pero okay lang kasi agreement nila na I can still go out basta lang hindi week night and not past 1 am on the weekends.

Gerald: Thank goodness. For a minute there kinabahan talaga ako. Sinabi mo pa naman before that your aunt has a strict no boyfriend rule. I know I’m being so selfish for saying this pero I have to say that I’m a bit sad din kasi it would be almost impossible to get a chance to spend the night holding you. With my parents around, wala rin tayong masyadong privacy at my place.

Kim: Maybe it’s about time we lay low on our make out sessions before it gets too far. Siguro it’s a good thing na rin to lose a bit of our freedom.

Gerald: Ang tagal na nga natin walang make-out session eh, over a week na! Pero there are ways around this anyway so as we said tonight, be optimistic!

Kim: Oo nga. Anyway goodnight na. I really have to get going baka lumipat na sila sa house and ma-trouble pa ako. Don’t bother driving with me, matulog ka na lang din. I’ll call you as soon as I get home.

Gerald: Promise mo yan ha otherwise I won’t get any sleep worrying about you. Sige goodnight babe. Drive safe. I love you.

Kim: I love you too.