Chapter 26

You're Still The One

It was too early on a Monday morning for her to even think much less argue her way out of all these gossips fired at her. She had another late night for a romantic dinner date with Gerald and the last thing she really wanted was to turn on her brain cells this early.

Lara: Sabi kasi nila super yakapan daw kayo sa club. Marami pang nag-comment na hindi mo lang daw sya pinatawad, grabe ka rin daw nag-flirt kay Gerald.

Kim: I got a little drunk. Maybe I got a little more friendly to him than what I would have wanted.

Vanessa: I heard hindi lang flirting ang naganap kundi tongue-wrestling daw talaga. I never would have imagined you as that kind of girl Kim!

Kim: Huh? Ah eh, wala naman silang proof diba? I won’t even dignify that with an answer. (“Gerald, where are you? Out of all the days ngayon ka pa ma-late! I so need you right now.”)

Sarah: Grabe, you made out with him? Don’t tell me kayo na?! After all that he’s done!

Kim: Kayo naman, you all know that I have a reputation to uphold. Diba kagagahan na talaga kung papatulan ko sya? It wasn’t just the two of us there, one whole group kami kasama sila Mel, Matteo, Joyce and others. Oh there’s Matteo! He can clarify things for you girls.
Diba Matt, hindi lang kami ni Gerald ang magkasama sa club, marami tayo?

Matteo: Yeah but you two only had eyes for each other. Tagal nyo kayang nawala that night. Hindi kami nakatulog that night, kinilig sa inyo.

Kim: Matt, you are so not helping! Pinalala mo lalo yung gossip eh.

Matteo: Ay, I’m so sorry Kimmy. I thought kayo na because you two were acting like you were committed to each other kaya I said yes when asked kung kayo na ba. Not just me lang naman eh pati sila ni Rob. Sorry talaga ha.

“This is so not my day. Bwisit talaga. Bakit naman kasi sinasabi pa nila na uto-uto ako if sinagot ko ang playboy na yun. It would have been so much easier to admit na kami na if they congratulated me instead.”

Kim: Excuse guys ha, I gotta get to the bathroom. I’m busting. “Doon muna ako magtatago, I can’t handle this stress.”


****************************************************

Gerald woke up blissful. All morning, he was grinning from ear to ear thinking about Kim. Nothing could ruin his day. He took his time daydreaming about Kim while preparing for school despite being aware that he was running late. He happily greeted everyone and was greatly surprised that the whole school was talking about him and Kim. “Yes, I love Kim very much as you all know already and I’m so delighted to say that she’s now my girlfriend”.

Sarah: So it’s not a gossip pala. Kasi sabi ni Kim wala daw kayong relationship.

Gerald: Did she really say that?!

Lara: Sounds to me like you’re on your own in this so-called relationship of yours. Magka-iba yata ang interpretations nyo.

Vanessa: Kawawa ka naman handsome. If you were with me, I’d be proud to admit about us, ang swerte kaya ng girl that gets to be with you.

Gerald: When did you get to talk to her? I haven’t seen her yet. “I think these girls are just making things up. Kim and I are so happy she wouldn’t be embarrassed being with me.”

Kim waited until the bell for first period rang before she entered the class to avoid further interrogations. She couldn’t help smile back when she saw Gerald’s meaningful smile as she settled on her seat. She was about to respond to him mouthing off “hi” but she noticed that the whole class was strangely quite just focusing on the interactions between the two. She searched her bag aimlessly, just to look busy. She didn’t even notice her named being called out twice already.

Mel: Hoy Kim! Are you ok? Ms. Jenkins is calling you, magparamdam ka naman.

Kim: Huh?! Oh! I’m sorry Ms. Jenkins. Present po!

The whole class laughed.

Ms. Jenkins: That’s nice to hear that you’re finally back on earth with us Kim. I was actually asking you if you can organise a meeting for the drama club this afternoon. You and Mel have to see Mr. Rivera after this class to go over some details for the meeting.

“Uhm, sure Ms Jenkins”, she replied. She kept her eyes on the teacher despite the temptation of glancing at the hottest guy in the class, her boyfriend. She could sense him staring at her and the feeling is killing her.

Kim: Mel, is it just me or is this class dragging? I’m excited to find out what the meeting is all about.

Mel: Is that really the reason why you want to get away from everyone? Baka naman you are just avoiding inquiries about you and Gerald? Don’t worry friend, he confirmed to everyone na kayo na.

Kim: What?!

Mel: And you might have some explaining to do to your honey. He’s been informed that you denied your real status with him.

Kim: Oh. (“As if my day couldn’t get any worse.”)

“Why can’t she look at me? She seems distracted. Sana naman she didn’t really say that there’s nothing between us.” Gerald was getting anxious to have a word with Kim. When the class was finally over, he quickly grabbed his bag and ran after her. He grabbed her hands as she was rushing out of the room.

Gerald: Kim, can I have a second with you please?

Kim: Gerald, pwede later na lang, you know I gotta go see Mr. Rivera.

Gerald: A ‘hi’ or ‘hello’ from you would be nice. Even better if you pretend like you couldn’t wait to see me again since last night.

She didn’t care that everyone was around to hear what she had to say. She stopped, looked at him and said, “I’m so sorry Gerald. I don’t mean to avoid you. I was excited to see you. Things just sort of went chaotic when I got here. I promise we’ll talk but now is not the right time. Mr. Rivera’s waiting for me.” She tried to assess his emotions as she caressed his cheeks but the indifferent look on his face gave no clue. She was dying to give him a reassuring hug to let him know how much she loves him. However, knowing that the whole class was anticipating her next move as if they were viewing a movie scene, she fought the urge. She turned around, grabbed Mel’s hand and left Gerald surrounded with the girls that couldn’t wait to get their hands on him. She could tell as she was walking away that they were trying to comfort him, presenting their shoulders for him to cry on and even about her.

********************************************************

“Bakit kaya hanggang ngayon hindi pa nakabalik sa class sila Kim? Even at lunchtime wala sya, I wonder if may pinagawa talaga si Mr. Rivera or she went home to avoid everyone? Kimmy, what’s going on in that unpredictable mind of yours? I felt the sincerity of what you said this morning. I could sense from the way you touched my face that you wanted to reassure me that things are ok. She’s the drama club president, she organized this meeting so she has to be here. Where is that girl?”

Mel: Hi guys, we have great news. Our shows and plays have done so well that we are actually granted an excursion!

Class: Wow! Where? When?

Joaqui: I hope It’s a camp para may adventure plus overnight stay pa so pwede rin romantic!

Shaina: I prefer the beach, hindi nakakatakot.

Kim: Actually, it’s at Haven’s Resort. And get this, we get to stay there for 2 days and 2 nights!

Class: No way! This is sooo awesome!!

Mel: We tried to organize this trip the whole morning kasi they only paid for 15 members so meaning others will be left out. We didn’t think that was fair so we had to make a few phone calls. Good thing Kim here managed to hook us up with her connections.

Fred: Kimmy, have we mentioned that we truly love you?

Kim: Well, I only made phone calls. I didn’t pitch in any monetary contributions pero I don’t mind getting some love. (laughed)

Matteo: Surely you’ve been getting a whole lot of love lately, diba Ge?

Gerald just smiled and looked at Kim who was grinning from ear to ear. “Ito talagang baby ko, I think she’s just messing with my head again. She looks so happy, we can’t possibly be having problems. Ok Kim, I’ll play along.”

Kim noticed that Gerald looked a little down as he was leaving the meeting. The guilt trip quickly sank in and all she could do was sigh. He was walking towards his car. It took a few seconds to register then she realized that Gerald had not said a word to her, not even goodbye. She tried to run after him but he had started driving off. “Oh man, he must be mad. This is all my fault! I don’t care if he thinks that I’m stalking him, susundan ko na lang sya.” Gerald smirked as he noticed that he was being followed. “I knew it! Hindi talaga ako matiis ng love ko. Kunwari ka pa na i-deny mo ako. Let the games begin honey.” He drove to their secret place and sat on the bench, acting melancholic. “Gerald”. He looked up as she uttered his name in a soft, concerned manner. “Leave me alone”. She sat down beside him. “Ok. I know you need some time to yourself. I’ll just stay right here next to you in case you feel like talking.” The silence was killing them both. She hugged his back, wrapping her arms tightly around his waist. She stayed silent and closed her eyes. Gerald couldn’t begin to describe how great her surprise hug felt. He caressed her arms and eventually leaned back towards her. She held him in her arms and his forehead as he moved his head next to her face, then rested on her chest.

Kim: Babe?

Gerald: Hmm?

Kim: Galit ka ba sa akin?

Gerald: Is there a reason why I should be?

Kim: I never actually said that we’re not an item. I just didn’t admit that we were. To be honest, I really felt awkward to admit na may boyfriend na ako. Nahihiya talaga ako eh. It’s like, it’s too private for me. What we have is something so special that it’s not appropriate to be vocal about it. It’s not that ikinahihiya kita, far from it! Ganun lang talaga ako in general, I’ve always felt that way even with my past relationships. I wish I could just scream it out to the whole school pero--

“Shhh.” Gerald placed a finger on her lips then replaced the finger with his lips. He kissed her gently.

Kim: You’re not mad, right?

Gerald: Well…siguro you have to kiss me some more to make me feel a little better.

Kim: Sige na nga, I feel guilty kasi eh.

She leaned forward and kissed him. She started letting go but Gerald pressed his lips harder for a deeper kiss. She responded passionately. “We’re okay na right?”, she murmured. “Sort of”, was all he could reply. She stopped the kiss. “Gerald, are you planning on staying mad at me the whole night? Let me know now please so I’m not wasting my time.”

Gerald: So you consider spending passionate time with me a waste of time? Girl, that is gonna cost you big time!

Kim: I didn’t mean it that way. I just wanted to know how long do I have to kiss you before we can talk and work things out.

Gerald: Looong…very long. Maybe even the whole night if you really want me still.

Kim: Mr. Anderson! You’re trying to take advantage of the situation, aren’t ya?

Gerald: My girlfriend is too embarrassed to tell people that she’s with me. Do you realize how much trouble you’re in? Do you really want to fix things or what?!

Without saying a word, Kim pulled him close and gave him
one long, hot, sweltering kiss. Gerald was bewildered, felt lost in a daze, his knees getting weak by the second. His kisses started moving away from her lips and creeping down her neck. She let out a soft moan. He could feel that both of them were struggling not to lose control. Gerald concentrated back on her lips and kissed her tenderly. “If this is how you apologize, I won’t mind if you’re in trouble all the time.” He could no longer hide that wicked grin.

Kim: Gerald! Don’t think that I’m not aware of what you’re up to!

Gerald: I’m not the only one enjoying this, I can tell.

Kim: Gerald, I know I have issues with our relationship being out in the open. I’m just not sure how to handle this.

Gerald: Don’t worry babe, you don’t have to publicize our relationship if you don’t want to. I’m not pressuring you to do anything you’re not ready to do. You can open up when you feel it’s right. As long as you stay in love with me, I couldn’t care less about what other people say. Baby, I couldn’t be possibly mad at you for something so trivial. This is about you and me, we both know the truth and that’s all that matters.

Kim: So, the whole time you were’nt really upset?

Gerald: No, I love you too much.

Kim: Gusto mo lang pala maka-score ng kisses huh? Dang! I can’t believe you actually got me good. I almost went beyond just making out with you!

Gerald: How far beyond? Well, the night is still young and we are really only halfway through our ‘discussion’.

Kim: Too bad you’ve already admitted that I’m not in trouble. Na wala kang tampo sa akin. That makes our ‘discussion’ fully over. (She got up with a mischievous smile on her face.)

Gerald: Dang! Did I say I’m not upset? What I really mean is konti na lang ang tampo ko. One more kiss and mawawala na talaga.

He pulled her close, tilted his head and slowly moved his lips close to hers. She touched his cheeks, slowly moved her hands down to his chest then pushed him away.

Kim: Ha! You really thought that was gonna work didn’t ya? (started laughing)

Gerald: Hey! Not fair!

Kim: Sorry baby but you’ve killed it! There’s no more guilt so hindi ka na makaka-score.

Gerald: How about if I take you out for dinner, can we initiate another ‘discussion’?

Kim: Well, I’m kinda hungry. Maybe after dinner…Uhm, never mind.

Gerald: What was that? (grinning from ear to ear)

“Nothing! I didn’t say anything”, she replied in a sweet, innocent manner.

Gerald: Well, I better get my baby to that dinner ASAP so I can have some of that nothing!