Chapter 17

You're Still The One

Mel: Good morning din sayo Kimmy. Ganda natin ngayon ah. Laki ng smile mo and your eyes sparkle talaga as if you are in lurve!! Should I be congratulating you?

Kim: Bes don’t tell anyone yet ha but Gerald and I kissed!

Mel: I know ang sweet nyo nga dun sa party. Ni-record ko pa nga sa camera phone ko.

Kim: Oh my gosh! Who else saw us at the party?

Mel: Kami lang ni Shaina. Don’t worry, we didn’t blab it on.

Kim: Thank goodness. Hindi naman kasi ako sure kung ano na kami.

Shaina: Bestfriend! Hello! Like, you kissed na! That can only mean na kayo na!

Kim: I never got to tell him na sinagot ko na sya or whatever. I was going to but he kissed me so hindi ko na nasabi.

Mel: Basta for me kayo na. Hay naku kahit pa siguro nasa labor ward ka na nagluluwal ng sanggol nyo ganun pa rin sasabihin mo na hindi ka sure kung kayo na ba. Wait lang, speaking of your better half himala na hindi kayo magkadikit ngayon ah.

Kim: Andun sa gym whole week yata basketball practice nila. Diba this Saturday na ang game nila so yun, todo practice. Actually we might not see him for a few days Mel kasi diba we have a debate this Wednesday? Remember you, me, Lara and Matteo will be hanging out with Mr. Rivera to prepare for that?

Mel: Gosh oo nga pala it’s so soon na!

*********************************************************

Enchong: Congratulations din sa inyo Kimmy! I can’t believe that out of all the schools that competed our teams ended up in the finals. The best thing about it is, I got to see you everyday from Wednesday to Friday. See if I was your boyfriend magpatalo talaga ako. Sa inyo na ang championship akin naman ang greatest prize eh. (Puts one arm around Kim’s shoulder).

Kim: (took his arm off her) Sorry Enchong but I’m somebody else’s greatest prize now.

Enchong: So kayo na ni Gerald?

Kim: Sort of. I think…

Enchong: Ang labo naman. I thought you were gonna see first if he’s for real? Bilis mo naman yata nag-trust sa kanya. Basta Kim if you ever have problems I’m always here for you. By the way, hands down to you Kim. For sure kayo ang champion. Galing mo talaga, speechless ako sa rebuttle mo.

Kim: You guys were real good too. I was so nervous the whole time.

Enchong: I thought on your big day nandito si loverboy mo for support. Bakit missing in action sya?

Kim: May basketball practice tomorrow na kasi ang big game nila. We didn’t get to see each other nga this week eh parehong busy. But we’ve agreed to meet tonight with our friends at Jollibee. We can catch up then.

Enchong: I think you and I have much more in common kasi pareho tayong great at academics and we’re great actors too. If I were your man, I’ll miss anything and everything just to be here with you when you need the support and love. Syempre mas important ka sa akin than any sport no! Too bad hindi ganun ka maalaga si Gerald.

Kim: (annoyed) Excuse me Enchong ha kasi feeling ko biglang nagka-gastric ako. (made a quick exit).

When Anika saw Kim leaving, she quickly approached Enchong, her debate teammate and schoolmate.

Anika: Enchong please enlighten me. What is with that Kim chick? Why are you guys going gaga over her? Ugh! She really irritates me.

Enchong: Why do you hate her so much? I don’t even think she knows you. I never noticed her acknowledge you.

Anika: Well, I know of her. I know that she’s the reason why Gerald has ignored and turned down all of my offers. Since hindi tayo classmates you probably don’t know that Gerald and I used to be a couple. I was his girlfriend for a couple of months when he first moved here from US. He was always game whenever I asked him out for a date until this school year. I later found out from him that it’s because of that biatch! Then he started going on about love stuff, blah, blah, blah. Like whatever! What’s so great about her?

Enchong: Well, aside from being pretty, intelligent and nice, she’s real fun to be with. Like there’s never a dull moment with her. Kim and I just click you know. I don’t think she’s realized yet but we’re meant to be. Anyway, you and I can work together so I can have a chance with Kim and you can do whatever it is you want with Gerald.

Anika: I’m listening…

Enchong: Well, Kim mentioned that she’s meeting Gerald tonight at Jollibee. I’m sure Gerald will get there before Kim. And I know for a fact that she’s the jealous kind. What if you happen to be there flirting with him when Kim walks in?

Anika: Hmm… I like how you think Enchong. You conniving little devil! I’m so liking you right now. (laughed)

*******************************************************

As she entered Jollibee, Anika immediately found Gerald chatting with his basketball teammates. She decided to creep up behind him and wrapped her arms around his neck. Gerald got excited as he felt someone hugging him from behind, thinking it was Kim. However as he turned around he was in for a surprise.

Gerald: (shocked and suddenly got up) Anika?! What are you doing here?

Anika: It’s great to see you too, honey! Hey guys, you still remember me don’t you?

Teammates: Of course we remember you. What are you doing here Anika?

Anika: Well, I felt like having Jollibee tonight and I happened to see Gerald here. Of course I just had to say hello. I’ve missed you honey, it’s been ages since we last had a date. You’ve been missing out on a whole lot of moi!!

Gerald: (raised an eyebrow) Diba may Jollibee naman sa town ninyo?

Anika: (sat next to Gerald) Mas gusto ko dito eh, may special memories tayo dito diba?

Joaqui: Anika, Gerald’s got a girl na.

Anika: So? It’s not like he hasn’t dated 2 or 3 girls at a time.

Gerald: I’m sorry Anika but like I said before, friendship is all I can offer you.

Anika: Yeah, yeah I know. Can I ask you a question Ge? What do you see in her? Out of all the girls na after you, why her? She’s not even that pretty. I mean there are other girls out there that are mestizas like me, I’m half American. Ok so I heard na smart sya pero i’m just as intelligent naman eh, honour student din ako. She’s really nothing special. There are so many girls out there that are just as pretty or even prettier and have all that she can offer. A guy like you Gerald should be worshipped. Tapos she has the guts pa to make you wait? She’s giving Gerald Anderson a hard time? My gosh! Who does she think she is? What does she have that others don’t? Seriously Ge, you can do so much better.

Gerald: Well, Kim is not only beautiful physically but she also has a beautiful soul. I love everything that she is so you don’t have to compare her with anyone else. You want to know what Kim has that others don’t? Kim has my heart. If you want us to be in good terms, please don’t talk about Kim that way.

Anika: (Noticed Kim entering and immediately hugged Gerald) I’m so sorry Gerald. I really didn’t mean to be rude. I guess I’m just having a bad day today since we lost the debate to Kim’s team so that’s why I’m acting this way. Hope you can forgive me.

Gerald felt sorry for her so he hugged her back to try and comfort her.

Gerald: Hey, It’s okay. It’s just a competition and you guys did really well to come second anyway. Cheer up. Sorry din if I came upon a little snubby. I’d like us to be friends. (let go of her)

Anika: (Touched his cheeks and smiled slyly knowing that Kim is watching them the whole time.) You are such a great guy. Can I please ask you one last favour?

Gerald: What is it?

Anika: I could really use another hug to make me feel better. I’ve just been really depressed.

Anika wrapped her arms around Gerald but as she noticed that he didn’t hug her back, she gave him a quick kiss on the lips which left Gerald and his friends in shock.

Kim saw the whole incident with Gerald and Anika and ran out as fast as she could. She kept on running as tears kept on falling. Mel tried to run after her but she wasn’t about to catch up. She then decided to head back to Jollibee to confront Gerald.

Gerald: Anika!! What the?!

Anika: Oh my gosh! I’m real sorry. I don’t know what’s gotten over me. I guess I just got carried away.

Gerald: Do you realise what you’ve just done? Everyone in here saw that! What if Kim finds out? Ughh!! You’re really pissing me off right now. Get out of my face!

Anika: I know you need to cool your head. I’ll talk to you na lang when you’ve calmed down. See ya later Ge. Again, sorry.
“Mission accomplished! I’m so good, I so love me! Sorry Gerald but after tonight I’m sure ‘little miss jealousy’ won’t ever want to talk to you again. And who’ll be there to rescue you from a broken heart? Perfect little me! Ha! Ha! Ha!”

Mel: (“Mel, huminahon ka. Don’t be scandalous, you can do this!”) Hi Gerald.

Gerald: (startled and automatically felt guilty when he saw Mel). Hi Mel. Where’s Kim?

Mel: Mr. Gerald Anderson. Congratulations! You are officially on top of my hitlist. I’d just like to let you know that you are the biggest on earth! Sorry ha wala akong trophy dala pero granted that you’ve succeeded in your mission na paglaruan ang bestfriend ko with that ! Don’t worry, I can assure you that you’ll live to regret this. Just watch your back cause we’ll definitely get you back. (immeadiately walked away)

Gerald: Mel wait. Please hear me out. I really didn’t---

Mel: Oh puhlease! Save it Gerald. You’ve been caught in the act. You don’t actually think that you can reason your way out of this do you? We heard the message loud and clear. You’ve done enough so please don’t try to talk to me na ayokong magka-bad reputation dito. I gotta go.

Gerald: Joaqui, could you please call Kim? She’s not answering my calls. I’m gonna go find her. Please just try to get a hold of her and help me explain what happened tonight.

Joaqui: Man, you are so in deep . Goodluck dude, I’ll try to talk to her and see what I can do.

Gerald searched everywhere for Kim and even stayed outside her house until midnight but there was no sign of her. Just when he was about to leave, he noticed her car and saw her get out to open the gate.

Gerald: Kim. Is it okay if I talk to you?

Kim: Gerald, it’s midnight. I’m exhausted.

Gerald: I really don’t want to go home until we have talked pero I know you need some rest so talk to you na lang tomorrow after the game. You will be there, right?

Kim: Uhm, yeah…

Gerald: Ok, goodnight Kim.

As he walked to his car, he couldn’t stop his tears from falling. He felt depressed and so lifeless. He looked back at her and also noticed her tears. “I really hope things will be okay between us Kim. I know I messed up but I hope you’ll hear me out. This has got to be the worst day of my life.” Gerald drove to their secret place and just cried and thought about Kim until the sun came up.