Hate That I Love You

You're Still The One

Gerald: Mel, where is she? Kanina pa akong naghihintay dito ah.

Mel: We’re really sorry Ge but she wasn’t in your room when we got there. We looked for her kaya natagalan kami but she’s nowhere in sight. She’s not answering her phone either.

A dark cloud went over him. He felt so defeated and helpless. After making all that effort, he couldn’t even get her to show up. (“Where could she be?” Then he started to worry. “What if something happened to her? Na-kidnap sya or god forbid, drowned? She’s somewhere around Boracay all by herself. Anything could happen.”)

Gerald: Guys, we gotta find her. I wouldn’t forgive myself if anything happened to her!

Joaqui: Okay, let’s go.

Shaina: Don’t panic Ge. I’m sure she’s alright. She is more than capable of looking after herself.

Mel: Yes Ge. I’m sure nandyan lang yan, nag-e-emote by the beach. You know what she’s like when she’s feeling down.

*************************************************************

Carl: Thanks for tonight Kim. I’m really glad you agreed to have dinner with me.

Kim: I should be the one thanking you. I feel bad that you paid for everything.

Carl: The pleasure is all mine, gorgeous.

Kim: You’ve been such a great listener and a great person to talk to overall. Pasensya ka na sa kadramahan ko ha. And thanks for putting up with me, going on and on about my heartbreak issue.

Carl: Sos, ikaw naman. Friends na tayo di ba? You can talk to me about anything. Letting all your frustrations out will do you good. You know, I envy Gerald. I hope someday I’ll find a girl that can love me the way you love Gerald. He’s so lucky that there’s a wonderful, beautiful, intelligent woman who truly loves him. He must be one heck of a guy.

Kim: Carl, were you even awake when I was rambling on? I never said na I’m still full on into him, much less in love with him!

Carl: Kim, the whole two hours, you have talked about nothing and no one else but Gerald. About things that frustrates you about Gerald…Things you hate about Gerald…Kung bakit nakakainis si Gerald…How corny Gerald’s lines are…How much you hate the things that Gerald does because his smooth moves make it harder for you to get over him…How much you hate that Gerald still calls you babe, still is so sweet and caring to you…How much you hate it when he’s nearby because his presence makes you lose your focus…

Kim: Okay, okay! I get it. Gerald, Gerald, Gerald!! Puro na lang ako Gerald. I never realized that I’m like a sick, obsessed woman. Am I really that annoying?

Carl: No, you’re just that much in love. You’re a hopeless case Kim, hopelessly in love. And from what I’ve understood from your love story, it looks like he’s trying to get close to you again. Why don’t you just get back together para hindi na kayo parehong naghihirap?

Kim: Puro naman kasi sya biro eh. I don’t want to assume na that’s what he really wants. Besides, I think it’s too late na. Our situation is changed. We’re not in high school anymore, we have to make plans for the future.

Carl: If that’s the case then, you really ought to talk to him and say your proper goodbyes. You won’t be at peace until you have a closure.

Kim: Carl, you’re like the love guru. Saan mo naman natutunan yang mga wise words mo when it comes to love? It’s your turn to tell your tale. You’re good-looking, you have charisma and girls would fall head over heels with your smile. Bakit wala kang girlfriend?

Carl: Lately, I’ve been very picky when it comes to girls. I had quite a few girls in high school but nothing serious. There’s only one girl that I have always wanted to be with since primary school kaso lang, to this day, she remains out of reach.

Kim: Bakit naman?

Carl: We almost got together but I had not met my dad then and my foster father was very poor. Basically her family didn’t want their daughter to associate with those who don’t have a bright future ahead. Now that my lifestyle had greatly improved na sana, too late na naman. She’s already in a relationship.

Kim: Sad naman. Pareho pala tayong mga sawi.

Carl: But hey, life goes on. There’s a reason for all this.

Kim: You know what? Let’s go out. The hell with all these drama! We’re in paradise, that’s reason enough to go dancing!

Carl: I know a great club!

Kim: Cool! I just need to get back to my hotel room muna to get changed. I want to get into clubbing clothes para feel na feel ko ang vibe of Boracay. Hee!Hee!

Carl: Okay, I’ll walk you to your room.

*************************************************************

Gerald could not begin to describe how miserable he was feeling. His day had been one big, emotional rollercoaster. He went from being melancholic and depressed, to hopeful, to worried, to extreme happiness and excitement then back to his depressed state all over again. The day seemed to have stretched into a year and the drama never seemed to end. One minute, he was all excited anticipating the pleased look on Kimmy’s face as he would have proclaimed his undying and never-ending love for her complete with all the whole romantic surprise. He was devastated that the food had turned cold and the candles have almost burnt up but still she was nowhere to witness his surprise. He didn’t know whether to break down and cry or punch the bastard the minute they finally found Kim through the glass window of a restaurant, enjoying her dinner, on a date with another guy.

Shaina: So sorry talaga Ge, we know how hard you’ve worked to make tonight’s surprise dinner date perfect pero I guess there are just some things that are beyond our control.

Mel: In fairness to Kim, how was she supposed to know that she had to keep tonight free? Maybe we should have asked her to do something with us so she wouldn’t have made other plans, ano?

Joaqui: I admit, gwapo ang guy, tisoy like you but he still has nothing against you. He can pass as a worthy opponent pero sa gender preference pa lang, lamang ka na Ge.

Gerald: What’s with you and gender issues, man! I’m starting to really have second thoughts with you dude. I think you’ve checked out more topless men than any of the girls among our group.

Joaqui: Bakla yan! Tingnan mo ang nails oh, super clean. Nagpapa-manicure yan. Flawless pa ang skin, ni isang pimple wala. His skin is too perfect to be true.

Shaina: Just because he has perfect skin and nails doesn’t mean he’s gay! Joaqui, akala mo lang you’ve been blessed with a gaydar talent pero palpak ka palagi.

Gerald passed up the chance of picking on Joaqui. A whole cluster of emotions took over and out of anger and frustration, he punched the concrete wall. How could he have allowed things to come to this? He got so jealous that he didn’t even care that he let her go for good. He was angry at himself for not doing enough to get their relationship to work. He was angry at himself for being stupid enough not to realize that punching a wall will only hurt his knuckles and do no damage at all to the concrete.

Mel: Wa’g mo na lang i-try ang action, stick with drama na lang. I hate the site of blood at wala ka nang girlfriend to look after your precious knuckles. Gerald, you ended it. You asked for space. Did you really expect na forever na lang syang maghihintay sa’yo? Hoping na matauhan ka? There are plenty of men who wouldn’t pass up the chance to get to know her, you know. I know it is painful to see her moving on but could you blame her if she wants to check out her options? Hindi na kayo, she’s single so wala kang right magalit sa bestfriend ko if she decides to mingle.

Gerald: I know tanga ako! I know I realized that a little too late. I’m upset to see her with someone new. Pero I’m more upset dahil kahit makikita ko pa syang nakikipaglaplapan with a new lover, kahit na saktan pa nya ako ng ilang beses, tadtarin man nya ang puso ko, eto pa rin ako. Nag-iisang tanga who is still madly in love with her.

Tears were flowing down his red, hot cheeks as he walked away.

He locked himself up in his room refusing to open the door for any of his friends. He tossed and turned in the bed, hoping to sleep it all off although it was still quite early in the night. One good thing about Kim on a date is at least, he got to experience sleeping on a comfy bed which his back had greatly missed for a couple of days now. It wasn’t long before his restless endeavour got worse. He could hear Kim turning the knob of their room while talking to a guy! He hid under the blanket, not quite sure what to make of the whole scene. “I can’t believe she would bring a guy back to her room! It took ages before I could even get cozy in bed with her pero this stanger, makakascore na agad? What is going on in that mind of yours, Kimmy?”

Kim: I’m sure it’s okay. Pasok ka muna. I will just take a minute, promise!

They were surprised to find the room filled with flowers and candles.

Carl: Wow, ang ganda naman ng room nyo ni loverboy! Akala ko hindi kayo magkabati, eh bakit para lang kayong nag-honeymoon?

Kim: Whoah! I swear, first time ko lang din nakita tong room na ganito. (She looked sad all of a sudden.) Baka naman nakaka-istorbo tayo. May ka-date yata si Gerald! Bakit dito pa nya i-set up sa room namin eh he knows naman that I’ll be sleeping here? Revenge nga talaga siguro ang plans nya that’s why he organized this whole Boracay trip.

Carl: Kim, don’t jump straight into conclusions. Malay mo baka para sa’yo lahat to. Maybe he’s making an effort to bring the romance back diba?

Kim: That’s so unlikely. As I’ve said, I don’t want to have false hopes mas lalo akong nasasaktan.

Carl: Kim, who’s in the bed?

Kim: Naku ang kakapal talaga ng mukha at ang bed ko pa talaga ang ginamit sa kalandian nila! Let’s go na nga Carl, okay na naman tong suot ko. Let’s get to Crush na and get wasted!

**************************************************************

Gerald was more confused than ever. There are things that Kim had said and done that made him believe that there’s no more chance between them. But then, there are also times like these that make him wonder why? Why does that Carl guy seem to know all about him? Why did he sound like he was even defending him? He quickly got up, had a shower and made sure that he picked the clothes that made him look so irresistible.

Gerald: Guys, quick get changed. We’re going clubbing.

Shaina: I thought depressed ka?

Mel: Oh no! Don’t tell me you want to pick up and fool around with some chicks para makaganti ka kay Kim? Two wrongs don’t make it right, you know.

Gerald: Of course not! Mel naman! I wouldn’t do anything that can cause Kim more pain than I already had caused her. Hindi naman ako ganun kasama, I have learnt from my mistakes in the past. I’m a little more mature now.

Mel: Sorry ganon kasi kayong mga guys when you get hurt eh.

Shaina: Sabagay, you wouldn’t go this far to make things right with Kimmy only to end up making her hate you more.

Gerald: I’ll put up a darn good fight. I’ll fight for our love. I was stupid enough to almost let our love go to waste but I know better now. I’ll never be happy if I’m not with her.

*************************************************************

Kim: Hey guys! Of all places, dito pa kayo napadpad! What are you doing here?

Mel: Wala, bored lang kami so we decided to go dancing. We saw you earlier tonight na may ka-date so we didn’t want to disturb. Speaking of, what happened to your date? Tinulogan ka yata ah.

Kim: He’s alright, he’s a cheap drunk kasi. Nagpunta kami dito para damayan ako sa paglalasing eh 2 drinks pa lang, down na sya! It’s not what you think ha, I’m not on a romantic date with him.

Gerald: Yeah sure, sabi mo eh!

Kim was surprised to see Gerald there.

Kim: You’re here too? And dateless? What happened? You blew it with your date or baka naman natakot sa honeymoon plans mo! (She let out a sarcastic laugh as she although deep down she was crushed.)

Gerald: I’m not the one who’s unlucky with my date. Hindi naman ako tinulugan ng date ko, unlike some unlucky people. See kung ako ang date mo, wala sanang tulugan na nangyayari!

Kim: Shaina, I could so use another drink. Come with me to the bar.

Gerald: I’ll come with you guys. My shout!

Kim: Kainis na talaga yang lalaking yan. Hindi ba ako ma-gets? He’s the reason why I wanted to go to the bar di ba?

Gerald heard her and smiled. “Naiinis daw pero super kinikilig ang baby ko.”

Kim: Nag-iilusyon ka na naman!

Gerald: Stay there girls. Ako na kukuha ng drinks.

Kim: Wa’g na, you might spike my drink and gigising na lang ako na wala ng kidney!

Gerald walked behind her and wrapped his arms around her. “Baby you know I would never do that. Besides, if I wanted to spike your drink, love potion ang ilalagay ko para mas lalo ka ma-in love sa akin.

She felt shivers down her spine as she heard him whispered those words. It felt so good having his arms around her. She thought that this time, instead of letting him irritate her, she decided to play along. Instead of pushing him away, this time, she leaned her head on his shoulder and said, “I don’t think a love potion would be necessary dear.”

“I know”, he beamed as he held her tighter.

She thought she could play the game but realized she was too weak. Just one touch from him and all her defenses were down. “Uto-uto! I thought it’s your shout. Hindi mo pa nga kami nabilhan ng drinks, may pa-hug hug ka na! Get off me nga. I’ll get my own drinks na lang.

Gerald: No, no, I’ll get it na. Just stay right there.

While waiting for Gerald, a young guy approached them and was being very persistent on getting Kim into the dance floor.

Kim: Sorry talaga but we would rather stay off the dance floor at the moment. Ang dami naman dyan na willing to dance with you, ask them na lang.

Guy: Sige, kung ayaw mo talaga, I’ll just get you guys drinks. I really want to get to know you, na –love at first sight yata ako sa’yo eh.

Kim: Naku wa’g ka namang ganyan, naka-inom ka lang that’s why medyo wild ang imaginations mo. I’m really not interested in that kind of thing at the moment.

Shaina: Oo nga, sorry ka na lang may boyfriend na sya.

Guy: Where is that so-called boyfriend of yours, kung meron talaga?

Shaina: He’ll be here soon.

Guy: Wala naman eh. Come on, one dance lang naman. If you really can’t stand me after one dance, promise, I’ll leave you alone.

Gerald: Here are your drinks girls. Sorry it took me a while ha, busy kasi ang bar.

Shaina: See, there’s her boyfriend.

Guy: That’s not the guy she was with earlier. I don’t think that’s your boyfriend, are you pare?

Kim: (“Patay! Bakit sa lahat na pwede i-point ni Shaina, si Gerald pa! He won’t pretend to be my boyfriend to save me from this guy kasi I didn’t help him out the last time he was trying to get away from those girls.”)

Gerald: Yes dude, she’s my girlfriend. (He placed put an arm on her shoulder.) Hey baby, are you okay?

Kim wasn’t sure anymore whose hands she was safer with, this stranger or Gerald who had this conniving smirk on his face. “Uhm, yes babe.”

Guy: Isn’t it so convenient that these two girls were together then some guy who happened to come walking past suddenly becomes the boyfriend?

Gerald: Just leave my girlfriend alone dude, I’m not the type to share. She really is my girlfriend, I’ll prove it to you.

He suddenly held her face and brushed his lips against hers. It happened so quick she didn’t even have time to move her lips away. It was a quick sweet kiss that left her in awe. She wanted to slap his face which bore a smile so wide as if he just won the jackpot. She wanted to slap herself as well for actually wanting more of his lips.

Kim: Gerald Anderson!!!

Guy: Naku parang bitin yata ang girlfriend mo, wala naman kasing passion yung kiss mo pare. Parang nagmamadali ka. You should learn to be a better kisser, baka maiwan ka ng maganda mong girl. There are quite a few of us, good-looking guys around that can show her a real kiss and beyond.

Gerald: Bro, preview pa lang yun. I am an expert when it comes to pleasuring my baby with a passionate kiss. Let’s show him how we pro’s get it done, baby.

Kim: Gerald Anderson, tumigil ka! You both claim na expert kayo in kissing. Well, why don’t you two show us how it’s done then?!

Guy: May pagka- pala yung taste mo sweetheart. Sige na nga I’ll go find some other girl to dance with na lang, obvious naman na may something kayong dalawa.

Shaina: Thank God, umalis na talaga sya. He’s so annoying no?

Kim was still giving Gerald sharp stares. She could not believe that Gerald would actually kiss her. She thought he was gentleman enough not to go that far. They weren’t even in proper speaking terms and he was already acting as if it was perfectly okay to claim her lips again? Even if they were pretending to be in a relationship, that was still no excuse. “I hate you!”

Gerald: You love me baby. Your eyes never lie. (He pulled her close but she quickly pushed him away.)

Kim: I hate you Gerald Anderson!!!

Gerald: (He pulled her close again.) I love you Kim Chiu!

Kim started to get weak and no longer had the strength to push him. She knew she was fighting a losing battle. His every word and every touch were getting her weak in the knees and she just wanted to stay in his arms. “I hate you…” Her words were now soft and low.

Gerald smiled as he felt that she was no longer resisting her feelings. She was about to wave the white flag. He touched her face and said in a low, gentle voice, “You’ll marry me someday.”

“I hate that I love you…” She ran for the nearest exit, leaving Gerald and Shaina in a shocked state.