Chapter 45

You're Still The One

Mama Layla: Young lady! Just where do you think you’re going?

Kim: Ma, I’m meeting up with Ge for dinner. Actually I might get home a little late because we are thinking of catching the last movie.

Mama Layla: Oh no you don’t! Do you seriously think I would let you see your boyfriend while you are wearing nothing short of an underwear? I was a teenager once and I know for a fact that watching a movie is the last thing on your minds when you are dressed like that.

Kim: Ma naman, what’s wrong with my dress?

Mama Layla: Bulag ka ba? Ang iksi at ang nipis pa, it’s practically underwear! That doesn’t leave much for Gerald’s imagination. It’s like leaving a kid in a candy store. Honey if palagi kayong magkasama ni Gerald ang laki ng possibility that you’ll end up being a teenage mom, maybe even a single mother at that!

Kim: Oh, here we go again.

Mama Layla: Sure you have a lot of money pero do you really want your child to grow up without a father?

Kim: Ma, that’s not going to happen kasi may mga contraceptive pills and condoms na po ngayon sa kapanahunan namin. (Kim knows this would trigger her aunt to go completely ballistic but she couldn’t resist teasing her. She was having too much fun.)

Mama Layla: Kimberly Sue! Listen to yourself! Magugunaw ang buong mundo sa mga pinagsasabi mo.

Kim: Ma, I’m not getting pregnant anytime soon. Besides, whether you believe it or not, Gerald is a gentleman and I am not planning to go all the way with him anytime soon.

Mama Layla: You guys can’t help it, your hormones are out of whack. Teenage guys want to hump every female they can get their hands on and you girls are too smittened to know any better. Next thing you know, it’s way too late. I don’t want you to get to the point where you will forever regret your actions. You two can’t keep your hands off each other. I am well aware that when you think I’m not looking, nagyayakapan kayo agad. What more pag kayo lang dalawa? Besides, even though it’s school holidays, weeknight pa rin so you can’t go out tonight.

__________________________________________________________

Gerald: Hello babe? O ano, ready ka na ba? I’m coming to pick you up.

Kim: I’m so sorry babe, may bad news ako. I’m not allowed to go out tonight. Mama Layla had one of her ‘teenage hormones equals teenage single moms’ lecture.

Gerald: Are you ok babe? Did she make you cry again? You know I will never abandon you right? Hinding hindi mangyayari na maging single mom ka ok? If you want I can just come over.

Kim: I’m alright babe, I’m getting used to it. Kinukulit ko na nga sya eh. Sorry babe ha, I know you’ve made reservations and everything. Maybe call one of our friends so they can come with you.

Gerald: Baby I organised a date to be with you, why would I call anyone else? It’s cool, I’ll just cancel the reservation. Ok lang ba if I come over? There’s something I need to tell you.

Kim: Babe tomorrow na lang ha, high blood kasi si mama Layla tonight. Baka pati ikaw, le-lecturan din.

Gerald: Dang! I was really looking forward to see my baby tonight.

Kim: Come over tomorrow okay?

Gerald came over early, bringing breakfast for the whole family. He helped Kim with her household chores and managed to sneak a few kisses and hugs despite Mama Layla’s presence. Her younger cousins adored him. He was a natural with the kids. Being big kids themselves, Gerald and Kim never seemed to run out of energy as they enjoyed a few games with her cousins.

Gerald: Babe, doon muna tayo sa garden nyo sa may pool. I have something to tell you.

Gerald grabbed her hand and quietly led her to sit on the swing.

Kim: Babe, are you alright? Just minutes ago ang saya saya mo, what’s up with the sudden serious look?

Gerald: Sad kasi ako because I’ll be missing you so bad. I have to make a quick trip to US.

Kim was quiet for a minute or so. She had always thought that what she had with Gerald was too good to be true. She was so happy with him and everything in their relationship is just perfect that she knew something not so pleasant was eventually bound to happen. No one gets a guy as perfect as Gerald. She dreaded the day that her fairytale happy moments with him will come to an end. Just then when she heard him say he was heading back to US, the first thing that came to mind was, the end of their beautiful story. (“His parents are taking him back to US to finish his studies there. That’s it for us. Long distance relationship never works so we’ll have to say goodbye to what we have.”)

Gerald: Babe, hindi ka naman yata nakikinig eh.

Kim: Uhm, how long will you be gone?

Gerald: I’ll try to come back sooner if I can get an earlier flight but probably three weeks.

Kim: (“Wait, did I hear him say three weeks or three years? Impossible naman na three weeks lang, kahit summer course takes longer than that.”) Babe, did you say three weeks?

Gerald: Yeah I know, I’ll miss your birthday but promise I’ll do all that I can to get my documents done as soon as I get there so I can get an earlier flight and make it back in time.

Kim was so relieved that he was for real when he said it was a quick trip. She couldn’t hold back her happiness and hugged him tight. “Thank God!”

Gerald: Babe? Why are you so happy that I’m going? You look like you can’t wait to get rid of me.

Kim: No, you got it all wrong baby. I’m just happy that you won’t be away for too long.

Gerald: Three weeks is a long time that I don’t get to see your beautiful face, hold you and taste your sweet lips. I’m already going crazy thinking about it hindi pa nga ako nakasakay sa plane. I will really miss you baby, sobra. Pero kailangan ko talagang ayusin ang papers ko eh so I can stay here for college.

Kim: Wait, are you planning to attend uni here? I thought sa US ka mag university?

Gerald: Well, that was the plan originally. Pero things have changed. I have a reason to stay here na.

He gazed into her eyes, smiling and holding her closer. Kim couldn’t help but blush and smile. His touch and smiles are telling her that she was the reason. Maybe this fairytale romance is for real after all. She had been expecting the possibility that once high school is finished, they were bound to part ways. She placed her arms around his neck and whispered, “And what reason would that be?”

Gerald: I fell in love with this most amazing girl and I want to be with her every single day of my life.

Kim: Naku hindi ka ba magsasawa sa pagmumukha ng girl na yan, everyday kayong magkikita?

Gerald: Of course not. She’s so beautiful, I will never get tired of staring at her gorgeous face. I don’t know what I would do if she’s not a part of my life. We fit each other so perfectly that being away from her for even just three weeks drives me mad.

Kim: Wow! That girl must have done something real good to deserve a guy as wonderful as you.

Gerald held her closer and whispered, “I love you so much baby. The next three weeks will be so difficult for me. I’ll miss you so bad.” He lowered his head slowly and kissed her with everything he felt at that moment, joy, love but also fear and sadness at the thought of not being next to her for almost a month. Gerald held on to Kim and not ever wanting to let go.