I Will Always Love You

You're Still The One

It was close to 4 am when they got back home. Gerald caressed Kim’s lovely face as she slept on his lap the whole taxi ride home. He tried so hard to hold back the tears that were threatening to fall as he thought about their upcoming fate.

Kim woke up as Gerald gently placed her down their bed, careful not to disturb her slumber. “Babe? Are we home?”

Gerald: Hey sweetie, you fell asleep so I just carried you in.

Kim: Thanks babe. Ginising mo na lang sana ako.

Gerald: I know you’re tired baby so go back to sleep.

Kim: Shower muna ako, I hate the smell of cigarettes! I can smell it in my hair.

Gerald: I need a shower too.

Kim: Babe, shower lang ha, I’m really tired so no hanky panky.

Gerald: Promise.

Gerald: Baby, don’t put your clothes on.

Kim: I thought we are going to sleep? Ano na naman yang nasa isip mo ha Geraldo?

Gerald: I just want to hold you babe, I swear. I love the feel of your body against mine. I just want to make the most of the things that I will greatly miss later on. Please baby, let me hold your soft, y body to sleep?

As they settled down in bed after their shower, Gerald was unable to sleep. He just kept kissing her hair and held her so tight. Kim sensed that something was bothering Gerald and lost her sleepiness as well. She turned around to face him.

Kim: Babe, hindi ka makatulog?

Gerald: Hindi eh. Ikaw, why aren’t you asleep?

Kim: Are you thinking about what’s going to happen to us?

Gerald: I can’t help it baby. I’m feeling so lost, apprehensive and insecure. I can’t help thinking about how liberated the girls here are and how close you are to both your girl and guy friends.

Kim: Baby, you know me well di ba? Okay, I admit. When I studied here for a year back in high school, I have done some things that I guess I’m not so proud of. I have made some rush decisions in my attempt to fit in and belong to a group. Pero I’m much older now. I am not as weak as I was. I have my own principles that I hold on strongly. Rest assured, I have no plans of one night stands and public make out scenes with complete strangers.

Gerald: What about guys that are not strangers? Guys that you have become a little too familiar with?

Kim: Is this about Jake again? Baby, he’s a good friend but he’s not my type ok? Friends lang talaga kami. We get along real well and sya yong talagang nag-welcome sa akin dito when I first moved in here kaya naging ganun kami ka-close. Wala talagang attraction between us.

Gerald: Kim, anong wala eh your friends told me about you two. You used to date!

Kim: Yeah, we kinda used to see each other. Pero Ge, wala namang meaning yong dates namin. We never had a relationship. We both felt that wala talaga kaming na-fe-feel na love for each other eh. We just couldn’t find that romantic connection even after venturing into the ual side of things. I can assure you baby that Jake is the last guy you should be jealous about. We have long established that we really don’t have that romantic spark.

Gerald: Oh my God! He’s the guy!

Kim: What guy?

Gerald: You told me before that I’m the second guy you’ve slept with. Meaning, he’s the guy you lost your ity too. Great! I was hoping I’d never meet the bastard. Not only did I meet him, he turned out to be this Mr. Perfect, guy next door, who is still good friends with my girl!

Kim: Baby calm down, wala naman akong sinabing ganun ah. How did you figure that out?

Gerald: Aside from your blushing face, buking ka na because you mentioned about venturing into the ual side of things with him!

Kim: Baby please don’t be mad. No real feelings were involved between us. For experience lang talaga sya. I was so stupid and immature then, ang dali kong madala ng mga time na yun dahil yun nga, I wanted to be like everyone else. All the girls were doing it and couldn’t stop talking about it during our girls’ night in and I felt so left out. Since si Jake naman ang close friend ko noon and he was so nice to me, I thought if there was one person to trust my body to, it would be him. He’s not a jerk like other teenage guys. He’s not the type to make fun of me that way. Besides he’s two years older than me so he’s a little more mature than the other guys that I met on parties. Yun lang yun babe. For experience lang sya. Besides, it’s all in the past na. I haven’t even met you then. Please don’t be mad at me. I have always considered you as my first because with you, I did it for love.

Gerald: Baby I’m sorry. I’m sorry to question you about these things. Magulo lang talaga ang isip ko ngayon pero that was very childish of me to pick on your past. Dapat nga I should be thankful that at least Jake is around in case you need help or God forbid, you are ever in danger. Sorry babe ha.

Kim: Sorry din, I should have told you everything earlier. I just didn’t think it was worth talking about because he really doesn’t mean more to me than just a friend. If it helps with your insecurity issues, I prefer your look more than any blond or blue-eyed guys in here. I know there’s only one to compare with but let me just say that in plumpness alone, you are miles ahead.

Gerald: Talaga lang ha? You’re not just saying that to boost my ego?

Kim: I’m telling your extra large ego the truth, baby. Do you want me to go take a picture so you can believe me?

Gerald: Eww…unnecessary!

Kim: Baby, I love you. I really truly love you at ikaw lang. No other man can satisfy my wishes and desires in every aspect. Ikaw lang. Kahit na magkahiwalay man tayo, although we’ll be oceans apart, my heart will always belong to you at hindi na mababago yun. Even during those times when we weren’t in good terms, I still couldn’t stop my heart from beating only for you. Only your arms around me like this can make me this ridiculously happy. Kahit na magkalayo tayo, if we still both feel like this when we meet again and wala pang complications, I think we can make it back into each other’s arms. We just need to have a little faith babe.

Gerald: So, are you saying okay na sa’yo to try out a long-distance relationship?

Kim: Babe, you have felt irritated and even a little hurt when you saw me talking and joking with Jake. I will be attending a University which has both female and male students that I can possibly get along and hang out with. Even if I try to tell you na wala yun, judging from your reactions recently, and yung nangyari sa atin before, magtatampo ka pa rin. It won’t be like today na my touches and hugs will help re-assure you about things. The more ka magtampo sa akin, you’ll end up disliking me. Same goes for me. I know in Philippines kahit saan tayo magpunta, girls are trying so hard to get noticed by you. I don’t even want to start thinking about those girls when I’m no longer around, I just get stressed. To be honest ngayon pa lang, I’m jealous na. Wala ka pa ngang ginagawa, feeling ko naiinis na ako. Trust me babe, a long-distance relationship is not for us.

Gerald: But baby, whether we have a commitment or not, masasaktan parin tayo pareho when we hear things kasi mahal natin ang isa’t isa. I love you and it breaks my heart that I can no longer call you mine and wala na akong karapatan to tell other guys to back off. Don’t you want to have that right to tell the other girls to keep their hands off your man too?

Kim: You should be saying that to them yourself kung talagang mahal mo ako. They shouldn’t even be close enough to get their hands on you in the first place! Mag-aaway lang tayo dahil sa selos and ruin our friendship. At least in this way, whatever happens, neither of us will feel betrayed kasi pareho na tayo may freedom.

Gerald: I can’t say goodbye babe, I can’t say goodbye to us.

Kim: Shh… Baby, quit it. You’re making me cry too. Don’t make this harder than it already is. Things will work out okay? I promise I’ll e-mail everyday kahit hello lang kung busy ako with assignments. I’ll text, e-mail, call, hindi mawawala ang communications natin. I just don’t think we can withstand the pressure of a long-distance relationship. We haven’t built a foundation strong enough to withstand this. We still have that trust issue to work on. Ma-hurt talaga ako if I hear gossips about you and other girls irrespective of whether they are true or not. At alam mo kung paano ako masaktan at magalit. I don’t want it to come to a point where we end up hating each other.

Gerald: I understand naman babe. At least if we get hurt, we can’t blame each other and feel betrayed kung hindi naman tayo.

Kim: I’m glad you see my point babe. Let’s get some sleep na para hindi na tayo masyadong depressed.

Gerald ran his fingers on her lips and conveyed his deep longing and love for her with one scorching kiss before they said goodnight to each other.

Gerald: Babe.

Kim: Hmm?

Gerald: I promise I will still remain faithful to you kahit hindi na tayo. Despite the distance and the time we’ll be spending apart, you will still be the only girl in my heart. I will always love you Kim. Promise ko talaga yan.

Kim: We can’t predict the future babe. That’s a hard promise to keep. I won’t hold it against you if you want to date other women Ge. You deserve to be happy too.

Gerald: Basta promise ko talaga yan, ikaw lang baby. You’re the only source of my true happiness, I won’t even think of looking for anybody else.

Kim closed her eyes as she savoured his sweet promises.

Gerald: Babe.

Kim: Ano ba Ge, I can barely keep my eyes open!

Gerald: Pakasal na lang kaya tayo para hindi na tayo ganito ka-depressed about being oceans apart?

Kim: Hehe.. Sira! We’re not even of legal age just yet!

Gerald: So, you’re saying if we were, payag kang maging isang ganap na Mrs. Anderson?

Kim: Ewan ko sayo! Kulang ka lang sa tulog eh, matulog ka na nga!