Chapter 43

You're Still The One

Gerald was holding Kim’s hand while they were listening to Fred’s horror story. When he noticed her scoot even closer, he took advantage of the fact that she was all spooked out. He lifted her and positioned her on his lap and immediately trapped her in his arms before she could protest.

Kim: (whispered) Babe, ano ba nakakahiya. The whole class is here!

Gerald: (whispered) Okay, just sit beside me then but you’ll have to keep checking who’s behind you. I’m just looking after you babe, I don’t want you to feel a presence of someone blowing on the back of your neck, giving you goosebumps tapos hindi pala ako yun!

Kim: Gerald naman eh, as if I’m not spooked enough by Fred’s ghost stories, you have to make it worse pa! (She couldn’t deny that besides loving every moment when Gerald is holding her tight, she also needed to feel so safety and protection that only he can provide whenever she’s in his arms. She tried to convince herself that such things are just pigments of people’s very creative imaginations but at the same time, she couldn’t shake off the scary thoughts.) Sige na nga, I’ll just stay here.

Joyce: Ayoko ko na ng horror stories, hindi na ako makakatulog nito.

Mel: I’m with Joyce, let’s do something fun para mawala ang paranoia ko.

Joaqui: Truth or dare!

Mel: Favourite mo talaga yan no? Gusto kasing maka-score ng daring dare with Joyce!

Joaqui: It’s a fun game.

Gerald: Count me out bro. I remember how much trouble I got into last time we played this game.

Kim: So, what are you still doing here kung ayaw mo pala sumali?

Gerald: I’m comfy holding you babe, I don’t wanna budge. Besides I want to stay and watch.

Joaqui: Okay, you have to tell the truth. If not, the consequence involves kissing the person you like the least on the lips! Same consequence goes for not doing the dare.

The game did took their minds off ghosts and psycho killers but got a few participants red in the face as most took the ‘truth challenge’ seriously. Kim’s question soon came up and she couldn’t help but laugh reminiscing situations in the past.

Lara: Who was your first kiss on the lips and when?

Mel: Naku most of us know the answer to this so you can’t lie!

Matteo: I know the truth Kim, lagot ka. (Everyone looked at Matteo which caused Gerald to raise an eyebrow.)

Kim: Ok fine, past na to and it meant nothing anyway so I’ll tell the truth. Si Josh, back in Year 5.

Mel, Shaina and Joyce: What? Nag-kiss kayo ni Josh?

Matteo: (“Who’s Josh? I thought I was her first kiss.”)

Mel: Why didn’t I know about this? Bakit wala kaming tatlo alam about this? We were on the same class, same primary school and best friends mo pa kami. When did this happen?

Kim: Relax Mel. What did you expect I was gonna do? Announce it to the whole class na nahalikan ako? I was a little kid, nakakahiya kaya nun! Basta it was at lunchtime I was on top of the guava tree daydreaming.

Mel: Teka, was it before the time that he told you that he loves you in front of the whole class?

Kim: Actually the very next day nun. He saw me up the tree and we talked then bigla na lang sya nag-kiss.

Mel: Ah, yung kayo na kunyari, that was so cute! I remember the good old days na secret kayong naghoholding hands, kasi lagot kay Mama Layla at sa mga teachers kung nabuking na nakikipag-boyfriend na pala si Kimmy.

Joyce: Mabuti hindi ka nahulog sa tree. I remember how cute you two were mula Year-1 nagpapa-cute na talaga kayo sa isa’t isa.

Kim: Wala yun, crush crush lang, baby love sort of thing.

Joyce: Nasira tuloy mukha ni Gerald talking about Kim’s childhood sweetheart. Sorry Ge ha, hindi maiwasan eh.

Gerald: Anong nasira, hindi ah. Past na yun, lahat naman tayo may past eh.

Kim: Oo nga, that was nothing talaga, childhood crush lang.

Lara: Akala ko si Matteo ang first boyfriend and first kiss mo.

Mel: Oo, first din si Matteo…first real kiss. Hindi yung smack lang. Diba Kimmy?

Kim: Mel!

Joaqui: Let me guess, during the acquaintance party no? Kaya pala sinabi ni Matteo after that night na kayo na pero ikaw todo deny.

Joyce: Oo nga you’ve kissed na pala so naging kayo nga talaga.

Kim: Just because you’ve kissed a guy doesn’t mean boyfriend mo na. Besides, past na yan, wala na.

Matteo: Hindi ba? That’s something intimate that should only be done if you feel something deep for the person!

Kim: Naku, siguro noong kapanahunan pa ng lola ko.

Before they put out the bonfire and headed to their tents to sleep, Matteo pulled Kim aside.

Matteo: Kimmy, I’m sorry to hear that our kiss meant nothing to you. I just want you to know that for me, that night was very special and will always be one of the most memorable events of my life. Wala lang, I just wanted you to know.

Kim: Matt, I’m sorry If I sounded cold earlier. At that time, it was a special moment for me too pero I really don’t feel anything about it na ngayon. Don’t get me wrong, of course what we had will always be a special part of my past.

Matteo: I’m happy to hear na hindi pala bale wala lang ang nangyari sa atin. I know the feeling is completely gone but at least we’ll always have the memories. Sige na, hinihintay ka na ng true love mo, baka gusto ng goodnite kiss.

Kim: Hehe, ikaw talaga. Sige goodnite na din sayo.