Chapter 44

You're Still The One

Kim: Babe, tulog na kayo?

Gerald: Hindi pa pwede wala pa akong goodnight kiss eh. Proper kiss ha.

Kim: Ang daming makakakita eh.

Gerald: After that whole ordeal of listening to your kissing adventures with other guys, I think I deserve a loving, passionate kiss para naman hindi ako ma-insecure.

Kim gave him a tight goodnight hug and a quick smack on the lips, hoping that none of their friends noticed. “Sorry babe ha but we have to wait until it’s just the two of us for that passionate kiss.”

Gerald: Babe?

Kim: Hmmm.

Gerald: Invited ba ako sa tent nyo? Even just for a few minutes? I’m not the least bit sleepy just yet.

Kim: (touched his cheek and kissed it) Babe, matulog ka na. Everyone’s going to bed.

Gerald tossed and turned for a while, his head filled with thoughts of Kim. He couldn’t help but picture Kim with Matteo or that Josh boy. How happy she must have been to have her hand held by her crush and even more so when she got her first kiss. He thought about how he felt with his past childhood crushes. For him, it was cute little harmless fun and surely the same goes for her. However he couldn’t shake the thoughts off his head. “When did I start getting so insecure? I’ve never been the jealous type. Ano ba naman to. I love Kim so much and I don’t want to sound like a jealous boyfriend pero bakit I can’t help but get hurt everytime I hear about her involvement with other guys no matter how meaningless it was?” Despite knowing that it was way past midnight, he decided to go outside to get some fresh air and have the freedom of talking to himself. He thought it would be pitch black outside but was surprised that the moon shone on their camp site bright enough for him to walk around without stumbling into anything. As he walked closer into the lake, he noticed a figure sitting, leaning on the trunk of a tree. We bravely went closer to ensure that it was one of his classmates and not some looter.

Gerald: Hello?

Kim was in her own world, gazing at the stars, daydreaming when suddenly she heard a familiar voice. It was deeper than usual but she could tell it was Gerald. She quicky stood up.

Kim: Gerald?

Gerald: (startled as he realized it was Kim but ran into her arms out of excitement when it finally sanked in.) Babe? What are you doing here?

Kim: I couldn’t sleep. I see I’m not the only one. (She let go of the hug and looked at him, smiling.)

Gerald: How can I possibly sleep knowing that you’re right on the next tent, only inches away and yet we’re not together? Na-miss mo din ako no? I told you it wouldn’t do us any good if we don’t share a tent.

Kim placed her arms around his neck and smiled. “I did wish you were lying right next to me babe.”

“So, you wouldn’t mind if I join you here and share your sleeping bag?” He touched her cheeks, bringing his lips closer, almost touching hers. His voice was low, almost a whisper and sounded way too y that Kim couldn’t resist brushing her lips with his. He closed his eyes and gently kissed her. He loved tasting her lips, he never could get enough of her kisses.

Kim: Can we both fit?

Gerald: I’m sure we can find a way to fit in one sleeping bag. (He smiled mischievously and kissed her again.)

Gerald sat next to Kim, placed an arm on her shoulder and sighed. Kim leaned her head on his shoulder and wrapped her arms around his waist to feel him close. Her sweet gesture made him smile.

Gerald: Babe, can I ask you a personal question?

Kim: Mmm, I guess. What’s on my baby’s mind?

Gerald: Well, since you know everything about my past, the girls I have dated and everything else, I was wondering if you don’t mind sharing details of your lovelife in the past? After that game tonight kasi, I realized that I have always assumed na si Matteo lang ang naging ex mo. Para naman I’m aware kung sino pa sa mga friends mo ang dapat kung bantayan.

Kim: Babe, tapos na yun kaya nga past na diba? I don’t think we should bring it up again. Let’s just focus on now and what we have mas masaya pa. Besides, there’s nothing much to tell. Mga crushes lang yun and harmless baby love gimmicks. Wala namang serious dun eh, little kiddy pa ako noon. That was the time when I thought that when you let a guy hold your hands, boyfriend mo na sya kasi may possibility na maging pregnant ka.

Gerald: At first I didn’t want to hear about what you had with other boys before naging tayo pero after tonight, I realized that I would feel much more at ease to hear about it. I get to know you a lot better but also it makes me feel more secure to know how much better I am than any of the guys in your past.

Kim: Ang yabang naman nito.

Gerald: Hehe…Totoo naman diba? I have treated you better, cared and loved you way much more than they ever have?

Kim: Oo na Mr. Anderson, you’re better than all the rest so wa’g ka nang insecure dyan ok? Really babe, I’m not just saying that. I am so grateful to be loved by you. Ang sarap mo magmahal, I feel so spoiled all the time.

Gerald: I’m so thankful too babe that you have been sent into my life. Teka, did you really believe that holding hands can get you pregnant? Ang dami na dapat nating kids ngayon.

Kim: Grabe ka naman! I was still a very naïve little primary school girl back then. Wala naman akong nalalaman noon about relationships. Basta sinabi ni Josh that I had agreed to be his girlfriend kasi hindi ako nagalit when he held my hand. Sabi nya there was a chance na maging pregnant ako dahil dun so I had to be his girlfriend in case we had to get married. At talagang naniwala naman ako so that’s how I had my first boyfriend. Pero I wasn’t the only one naman, ganun din si Mel with her crush at that time. Mga loka loka nga kami whenever we went to the toilet, talagang we always checked the toilet bowl in case nahulog doon ang little baby namin. Ewan ko nga ba, for an honour student why I actually believed a guy’s ridiculous words!

Gerald was still laughing his head off when Kim had stopped talking and just stared at him. “That’s it. No more ex-boyfriend stories, pinagtatawanan mo lang ako eh. Ikaw dyan ang gusto ng kwento about my past tapos hindi naman pala nakikinig. You probably just want to know para may pang black-mail ka sa akin later!”

Gerald: Sorry baby, pero talaga namang nakakatawa kayo eh. See I feel so much better hindi na ako kinakabahan na baka may old feelings na ma-revive if you see the guys from your past.

Kim: Babe, do you believe me whenever I tell you that I love you?

Gerald: Syempre naman!

Kim: In that case, you should never think of such things kasi if I’m in love with you, I’m content to have only you. I wouldn’t consider any other guy no matter what we may have had in the past.

Gerald: I know that babe. I’m sorry for feeling that way. I know naman that I’m the only man in your heart just as you’re the only one in mine. I guess the game earlier started messing with my head. Ewan ko nga ba kung bakit eh I know naman how much we love each other.

Kim: Ok let’s get this over and done with para wala nang issue. Ask me anything!

Gerald: Uhm, how many boyfriends have you had?

Kim: In Philippines, I guess three. I’m not really sure if they really became my boyfriends pero I guess they were more than just random, harmless dates. Okay, first nga si Josh then there was this guy sa that I met in Boracay during summer holidays just after I graduated from primary school. We had a little fling, wala lang naman, holding hands lang, akbay-akbay while walking by the beach. That sort of thing. We didn’t really talk about being together but we hanged out the whole time I was there, mostly enjoying the water rides. Tapos before my mom and I headed to the airport to get to Baguio, he gave me a quick smack on the lips so that time I considered that he became my boyfriend. I was clueless about these things, I was barely a teen then. I never had any contact with him after that. Tapos you know naman about my third si Matteo. I guess he was probably the only one among the three that I can truly call an ex kasi the other two, I was still too young, parang wala lang. There, I gave you my whole lovelife story na so I hope this will be the last time na mangulit ka sa akin about this ok?

Gerald: Not so fast there missy! I think you’re trying to get off on a technicality here.

Kim: Am I?

Gerald: Well, you said three sa Philippines. Does that mean na meron sa other countries? You did spend a year of high school in Australia, not to mention your summer holidays that were usually spent in Sydney.

Kim: They were just dates, like what you had. Only you had a whole lot more dates than me. Actually there was this guy I was seeing on a regular basis but we never labelled our relationship. I guess we were just dating. I wouldn’t call him an ex-boyfriend, you know how complicated things are in these high schools.

Gerald: Babe, I know you’re not too keen to talk about this. So I really appreciate that you did. For me. Thank you. I feel like a big load had been taken off me. I have nothing to be insecure about. I felt relieved after telling you everything about my past. I wanted to ensure that you are aware that none of the girls I had been involved with ever really meant to me.

Kim: Same goes for me babe, nothing but childish puppy love.

Gerald: Eh nag-emote ako kanina kasi hindi ako nakasali sa ‘firsts’ record mo. Others have been fortunate enough to be your first kiss like that Josh guy. Mabuti pa si Matteo first real boyfriend and first real kiss mo. Ma-describe mo rin kaya ako as one of your firsts?

Kim: Baby, you’re definitely in the records as my most memorable kiss or if you prefer as the best kisser ever!

Gerald: Well, we should definitely keep kissing to ensure that no one can beat my record.

Gerald leaned forward while holding Kim in his arms and planted a tender, sensual kiss on her lips that brought shivers down her spine. Neither of them were willing to part their lips so they kept on tasting each other’s lips in between ‘I love yous’.

Kim: You will definitely be the one and only title holder for that record babe. Hmm… It’s a long shot considering the countless chicks you’ve been with but I do wonder if there is anything left for me on your records?

Gerald: You are definitely my first babe. First woman I have ever fallen in love with and hopefully my last.

Kim: Naku, I’ve heard that before. Memorized mo yata ang mga linya sa soapies ah.

Gerald: Babe naman, I’m being serious here. You taught me how to love and I’m forever grateful.

Kim: Very serious talaga ang mood ng baby ko ngayon ah. Pero in fairness, y ang dating!

Gerald: Really? (He pulled her closer, tilting his head, his lips almost touching hers.) You think I’m y?

He brushed his lips against hers, teasing with his tongue. He held her close as he demonstrated his longing for her through his loving kisses. Kim eventually settled in Gerald’s lap as he was leaning on the tree trunk, embracing her tightly. They stayed silent for a while, just gazing into each others eyes and occasionally glancing at the starry night sky. Gerald constantly planted sweet little kisses on Kim’s shoulders, neck and cheeks. Kim savoured the loving moment and just leaned back on her man, appreciating his every gesture. It wasn’t until just before the sun came up and she felt a light tap on her shoulder that she realized that Gerald and her have spent the night together outside, crammed into one sleeping bag.

Kim: (whispered as she noticed that Gerald was still asleep) Shaina? Is everyone awake?

Shaina: I don’t think so. I just went to have a pee when I noticed you two. Bakit hindi na lang kayo nagshare ng tent so you didn’t have to sneak out and sleep out here.

Kim: No, we didn’t plan this. We were just talking then I just found myself waking up out here with Gerald behind me. I better wake him up. Poor thing, it must be so uncomfortable sleeping na naka-upo, leaning on a hard tree.

She ped the sleeping bag and started taking his arms off her waist so she can get up.

Gerald: Babe? Where are you going?

Kim: Babe, we need to get to our tents para makatulog ka ng maayos. We actually fell asleep dito sa labas.

Gerald: I was actually having a great sleep. Always naman eh basta kayakap ko and baby ko. Stay with me please?

Kim: Gerald, we have a couple more hours to sleep. Sa tent mo na i-continue tulog mo, mas comfortable, you can lie down properly. Baka sasakit pa likod mo nyan.

Gerald: Sige pero only if you’re next to me.

Kim: Hindi pwede no, you know, people like to speculate! Let’s go na before anyone else sees us here.

He mumbled a few words of protest but eventually found himself carrying her sleeping bag towards her tent and kissed her goodnight/good morning.

*********************************************************

The whole class enjoyed their last day playing games, swimming at the lake, hiking and learning basic survivor skills. They were all exhausted after dinner time. They decided to just relax by the bon fire and chat while roasting marshmallows. Gerald moved behind Kim and wrapped his arms around her waist which triggered a lot of excitement and endless teases.

Lara: Ang sweet mo talaga Gerald. Obvious talaga na kayo na, no matter how much you deny it. Your actions show na more than MU na talaga kayo.

Gerald: (blushing) What you see is get!

Kim: Hindi na naman kami nag-dedeny ah.

The rest of the class went quite, excited at what they were about to hear.

Lara: Does that mean that it’s official? Na kayo na talaga?

Gerald couldn’t hide his huge grin. He just looked at her, waiting for her response.

Kim: Like you guys said, obvious naman diba?

Gerald was so happy that Kim finally was ready to proudly shout it out to the world that he belongs to her. He couldn’t stop himself from butting in. “Yes, she’s my baby, Kimmy is my girlfriend.” She turned to look at him. He gazed into her eyes as they smiled at each other. The whole class erupted into wild screams and claps.

Vanessa: Akala ko you got too used to each other na kaya hindi na masyadong protective si Gerald kay Kim, unlike before na nagpaparinig agad pag may guys na nag-flirt. Kaya pala, mag-syota na pala kayo so secured na kayo sa isa’t isa.

Joyce: Hindi naman seloso si Ge eh, diba Ge?

Kim: Naku hindi ba?

Gerald was quick to get his fingers into her armpits.

Kim: Babe, ano ba! You know very well, I’m so ticklish lalo na dyan!

Gerald: I know what you’re thinking missy! Pinag-tripan mo na naman ako.

Kim innocently replied, “What did I do? Did I say something wrong? Wala naman akong sinabi ah.”

Gerald: I’m sure may gusto kang sabihin, about me saying na hindi ako jealous.

Kim: Diba hindi naman talaga?

Gerald: Hindi nga. I trust you and I know ako lang ang mahal mo.

Kim: That’s what I said, hindi ka seloso. Okay lang sayo if there are other guys interested in me kasi you’re not the jealous type.

Gerald: (tickled her again) Oh, there you are again. Syempre kahit crush ka nila they have to back-off kasi may boyfriend ka na eh. Yung iba dyan that can’t take a hint and still flirts with you, that’s when I get annoyed na talaga.

Kim: Ah annoyed lang pala, hindi seloso. Okay if you say so.

Gerald: (pouting his lips and preteded to look sad) Para namang hindi ka naniniwala sa akin eh.

Kim ran her fingers through his hair and his cheek, her voice was low, almost a whisper. “Cheer up baby, I believe you. We trust each other diba, that’s why I love you kasi you’ve proven your faithfulness to me and I am just as loyal to you. Pero you can’t deny nagseselos ka rin, aminin!”

Gerald: Well, maybe just a little. Pero in real rare occasions lang. As in hardly ever!

Sara: Aww, ang cute nyo talaga lalo na pag-nagkulitan kayo. I’m so happy for you two. Bagay talaga kayo kasi magkasundo talaga ang personalities nyo. I couldn’t imagine you two as being just friends.

Lara: I agree. Hay naku, ang saya ko, kinikilig ng todo as if ako ang nakahanap ng boyfriend!

Eventually everyone gave in to their exhaustion and said their goodnights. It took almost another hour of goodnight kisses and hugs before Kim and Gerald finally decided to get some sleep. Gerald used all of his convincing powers and it paid off as Kim finally gave in and he was able to spend the night cuddling with her at the girl’s tent.