Bon Voyage

You're Still The One

Their whole group enjoyed their stay in Boracay particularly that their mission of reconciliation was a success. Gerald and Kim were inseparable. They were back to their sweet, loving ways. Although she was beyond happy spending each moment with Gerald, Kim knew that their happy times were short-lived. She temporarily put aside the thought of her move to Sydney and chose to make the most of her time with Gerald. They explored Boracay and tried all the watersports and other leisure activities that they had to offer which helped kept her mind off what’s ahead. On their last night in Boracay, she treated him to a nice romantic dinner.

Mel: Hey, where have you two lovebirds been? Napadalas na yata yang “do not disturb” mode ninyo sa room nyo ah.

Kim: Eto talaga, kung ano ano na naman ang iniisip. We just went out for dinner kasi it’s our last night here na.

Joaqui: You guys are going clubbing with us tonight right? Last chance na natin to enjoy dito.

Kim: Uhm, babe? I was going to ask you to go for a walk by the beach with me? If that’s okay with you. And kung okay lang din sa inyo guys na hindi kami sasama?

Gerald: Sorry guys, the missus had spoken.

Mel: Sige na nga, kami na lang. Looks like you guys have something else planned.

Matt: Gerald, you are one lucky bastard man! Sweety, ako kaya? When can I get some romance by the beach?

Mel: He! Dapat nga you should be saying that you are far more lucky than him kasi you’ve got me! Halika ka na nga let’s go. Lasingin mo na ako so you can get some action na!

**************************************************************

Kim let out a deep sigh as she sat on the sand. Gerald sat on the spot right next to her and pulled her close.

Gerald: I’m going to miss this place. Is this the reason why you have that sad look on your face tonight babe?

Kim: Babe, I’m so sorry for this. I know that I shouldn’t have agreed to re-start our relationship knowing that I won’t be around for long. I got carried away with my feelings kasi eh. I couldn’t lie to myself and to you that I really do love you.

Gerald: Babe, what are you trying to say?

Kim: I’m leaving for Sydney in four days! I’m really sorry babe. I just really wanted to make the most of my chance na makapiling ka. I’ve missed you so much that I was thrilled to be in your arms again, temporarily forgetting about the near future. I’m really sorry baby.

Gerald: God, I completely forgot about that! So, you are still going? I was hoping that you would change your mind once we fix things between us.

Kim: You knew?

Gerald: Yes I knew but I thought hindi ka na aalis kasi we’re happy na. Baby, don’t go. Please. Paano na lang ako? Don’t leave me here. Palagi mo na lang akong iniiwan. Diba our plan was to study in one of the universities in Cebu? What made you change our plans?

Kim: Sorry Ge. My original plan was really to study and pursue a career in Australia. My mom agreed that I finish my high school studies here pero we had a deal that I have to move back to Sydney after high school. Yes, I re-considered that option nung naging boyfriend kita. Pero when things didn’t work out between us, I thought about my future. I have to think about what I want to happen in my life. It made me realize that boyfriends can come and go. Having the right education is something that can’t be taken away and I will always treasure.

Gerald: If I didn’t ask for space, you wouldn’t have considered studying overseas. Babe, there’s still time to enrol at a university here.

Kim: Even if I wanted to, it’s too late. Not only have they accepted my enrolment but my whole semester had also been paid for.

Gerald: Baby you love me, right? I think our love for each other is strong enough to endure a long-distance relationship. What do you say?

Kim: Babe, you know how I feel about long-distance relationships. Look where it led us last time. Broken and all messed-up. No matter what people say, it just never works out. We will just end up hurting each other.

Gerald: I promise baby, I will be 100% faithful just like I always have been to you.

Kim: Please Ge, no more promises. You have broken enough already. I want you to enjoy your college life too. I wouldn’t expect you to just lock yourself up in the room the whole time. A long distance relationship is too hard to maintain. There will be times when you’ll be feeling lonely and you want someone to be there. To comfort you, to hug you. I can’t be that person. And we all know how much of a babe magnet you are! Kahit nga may girlfriend ka, girls still flirt with you, what more pa kaya when I’m not around!

Gerald: I really think that we can make it work. Wala namang problema on my part eh, you know naman na wala akong pinapansin dun sa mga girls.

Kim: Ge, if we are really meant to be, we will be together in the end. For now, at least kung wala tayong relasyon, even if it hurts to hear that you are happy with someone new, I won’t feel betrayed. I don’t have the right to hate you kasi wala naman tayong commitment di ba? Same goes for you if you hear things about me.

Gerald still couldn’t bear the thought of saying goodbye. He was inconsolable. He felt so helpless. “This . This big time.”

“Come here babe.” Kim guided his head to lean on her chest then she wrapped her arms around his shoulder. “I’m sorry to break your heart yet again babe. After I let go of that last glimmer of hope na magkabalikan pa tayo, I made the hardest decision to get my life together. If I had to start anew, it made sense to move on away from the place that can only remind me of you. I never thought that things would get this complicated.”

Gerald: I just can’t lose you again. You’re my happiness, my life, my everything! I can’t let you go, I just can’t. (His voice was trembling and more of a whisper, a hopeless plea more than anything.)

Kim was lost for words as well as tears started to fall. They just held each other for a while, both silently praying that time would stand still and the night wouldn’t have to end.

*************************************************************

Their spirits were down the whole trip back home. Gerald just held Kim the whole time, making every second with her count. He didn’t hear a single protest from Kim. She let him do whatever he wanted. He even got away with a passionate kiss in the plane, in public!

Mel: You’re still leaving aren’t you?

Kim simply nodded while washing her hands in the bathroom sink.

Mel: Kaya pala ang tahimik nyong dalawa the whole morning and Gerald had been permanently stuck on you.

Joyce: That’s why the poor guy had not stopped holding you. Kanina pa yun always kissing your cheeks and your hair. I thought that would have made him giddy beyond belief but his eyes looked so sad instead.

Mel: Yeah, he had always been so sweet but he’s extra affectionate today. He’s holding on to you as if you will forever vanish if he let’s go.

Kim Forced a shy smile as she grabbed a paper towel to dry her hands.

Shaina: Kimmy, paano na kayo ni Ge?

Kim just simply shrugged. “If we’re meant to be, maging kami din in the end.”

Shaina: But friend, you have to make choices along the way to give faith a hand. You can’t just rely on destiny to do all the hard work for you, you have to work for it if you really want it.

Kim was feeling so down that she really didn’t feel like explaining herself. “We’re still young. A lot of things can still happen. Let’s go guys, it’s almost boarding time.”

*************************************************************

Matteo: So, Kimmy, this is it. You really are leaving us? Hindi ka na talaga mapipigilan? (He was teary-eyed as he was pulling her luggage.)

Kim: Guys, quit looking so glum. Stop it guys! I don’t want to see anymore tears, feeling ko you’re saying goodbye to me forever, as if may mangyayari sa plane ko.

Shaina: Friend naman, don’t talk like that.

Kim: Eh kasi, grabe yang mga mukha nyo, para kayong namatayan. Babalik naman ako eh during uni holidays.

Mel: It’s just not the same without you bestfriend. We will really miss you. Our group will feel so incomplete without you.

Matteo: I was looking forward pa naman to be in the same class with you tapos you pulled out na pala. It will be your fault entirely if I get stuck with some weird lab partner!

Kim: I’m only taking the blame if you end up with one hot lab partner.

She hugged her friends who were all teary-eyed as she started checking-in. Her departure was made worse by the fact that Gerald was out of sight. He promised, he’ll be there but that was another promise broken. He didn’t show up and her heart was breaking. Of course, she completely understood. He never wanted to say goodbye. It was too painful for him to see the love of his life go. She understood his reasons. She just wished it didn’t hurt as much as she was feeling at that instant.

The whole day after they got back from their Boracay trip, not once did he ever say the word goodbye. He stayed with her the whole day, cooking for her, holding her, kissing her and treated her to a joyful, sensual, all-over body massage. She was one pampered princess before he indulged her with a wonderful night full of passion and love. That was the last time she saw him. It was a lovely memory to take with her. His gorgeous, smiling face and y, unclothed body, visible among the candlelights. Tears fell uncontrollably as she looked out the window of the plane. She didn’t even get a chance to say goodbye to him as they both promised to leave the goodbye speeches at the airport. She didn’t get to give him a goodbye kiss.

“Are those tears for someone special you are leaving behind?”

Her emo session was suddenly rudely interrupted. (“Great! For the next seven hours, I’ll be stuck with some nosy, wise- dude!”) She really didn’t want to show her puffy, red eyes and her crying face to this nosy seat mate. However, she could sense that this guy was staring at her. She was getting irritated as she turned around to deal with him. Her jaws dropped as she was face to face with the smiling, handsome young man.

“Oh my God!”