First Day

You're Still The One

So far her first day in the university had been smooth sailing. She immediately found two new friends, Beauty and Kitkat. A few guys from her class had introduced themselves and even went as far as pretending to bump into her just to get her attention. She was also surprised to see a familiar face in class. As she was pre-occupied chatting with Kitkat and Beauty, a young man snuck up behind her. “Hey gorgeous! I knew you’d come around!”

As she turned around, she was startled to notice an old friend. “Oh my God! Enchong?!”

Enchong: Hey Kimmy! God, I’ve missed you! You look wonderful as usual. (He pulled her in for a hug.)

Kim: Thanks, you look good too. We’re you there during the first period?

Enchong: Yeah, I was in the back. I was gonna say hello but you were too busy little miss popular. I see you haven’t lost your magic, you still have that magnetic pull with the opposite .

Kim: Grabe ka naman, it’s not like that at all. Baka ikaw ang may ganyan, I can see a few girls looking our way and those frowns are telling me you are quite a ladies’ man?

Enchong: (whispered) Well actually, I’m seeing a couple of girls lately.

Kim: Oh you heartbreaker!

Enchong: Hey, I’m a lover not a fighter. What about you? Last time I heard, you two had a nasty break-up. Have you seen him yet since you got back?

Kim: He has a name you know. And yes, I’ve seen him and we’re good.

Girl in skimpy outfit: Enchong baby, I need you!

Enchong: Duty calls. I’m real excited that you’re in my class Kim. If you need anything at all, a guide around the campus, help with your projects or even just a company I’m here for you okay?

Kim: Okay I’ll keep that in mind.

Kitkat: Oh my god, I can’t believe you’re friends with Enchong. He’s like one of the major hotties in our class.

Kim: I met him at a club once back in high school and we’ve been friends since.

Kitkat: Did you know that we actually dated once during summer?

Beauty: Yeah but it was only right after she got implants. He must have been hypnotized by the silicone s. Friend, you gotta get over him, he never even noticed you the whole time he was talking to Kim!

Kitkat: I can live with that. He’s cute so I’ll still keep him on the list. Hindi naman sya and ultimate kong wish na mauna sa sinapupunan ko eh.

Beauty: Keep dreaming girl! Pinapangarap mo pa rin yang si Anderson eh hindi ka naman pinapansin nun! That guy is a snob!

Kitkat: Think again friend! We’ve actually made progress during summer. He finally said hi to me when I saw him at a grocery store! I will never forget that day. He was in the shampoo aisle, I went up to him and I said ‘hi’ and you know what?

Beauty: He said ‘hi’ back…

Kitkat: He said ‘hi’ back! The Gerald Anderson, my ultimate dream man spoke to me! These new s really are lucky for me. It was strange that he was buying a girlie shampoo but I grabbed the same brand anyway so my hair would smell just like his. It makes us more compatible.

Kim: Gerald Anderson?

Kitkat: Yeah, he’s this really hot star basketball player in our university. We’ll show you which one he is soon, maybe at lunchtime. You can’t miss him, he’s real cute. He’s one of those guys that you’ll notice first among a crowd. All the girls are always vying for his attention that’s why I can only admire him from a distance.

Kim: Really? He must have a lot of girlfriends, huh?

Beauty: Personally I think he’s gay and that girlie shampoo you just mentioned? That had just increased my suspicion to 200%.

Kitkat: Well, some say that Alison and him are an item. Others also say that he’s dating Jessica but he’s denying everything so I still have a chance. Maybe he’s looking for true love material and those two s are so not love material!

Beauty: And you are? Sorry friend, I love you and all but it’s a little too hard to look past the fake s and find true love underneath.

Kitkat: You’re just jealous because I don’t have to wear chicken fillets!

Beauty: Excuse me, but I am quite happy with what I’ve got thank you. Anyway about Gerald, I heard that he was in love with this girl in his high school but she left him and he’s still mending a broken heart that’s why he’s snobbing all the girls off. I think it’s all just a cover-up to hide his real uality kasi diba it won’t look too good for the basketball team?

Kitkat: Oh Kimmy? Bakit tawa ka ng tawa dyan?

Kim: Hehe…nothing. Ang dami nyo kasing conspiracy theories about Gerald.

Kitkat: Pero you know, I’m sure this year magbabago na yan. I’m sure naka get over na yan sa ex nya so the ‘popular’ girls are bracing themselves. Oh my God! I just had an idea!

Beauty: What? You are getting a implant to increase your chance with Anderson?

Kitkat: I’m already packing that much hindi ko na kailangan yan no! You know Kim, you’re very pretty. I have also noticed how the guys were trying to get your attention all morning. You would so fit to be our candidate for Gerald Anderson! Di ba Beauty?

Kim: Hold up! I thought you have the hots for him?

Kitkat: Yes but hanggang wish lang naman ‘yong sa akin no! Hindi naman talaga mangyayari yun sa totoong buhay. You on the other hand. You’re beautiful, you have what it takes to get Gerald’s attention.

Beauty: Pasensya ka na dito kay Kitkat Kimmy ha. Nasobrahan kasi ito sa surgical anaesthetics when she went under the knife.

Kitkat: You would be the perfect candidate! You’ll be representing the simple, classy ladies like us. You would be giving those hopeless romantics out there hope that it really can happen. A simple, non-y girl can score herself a prince charming just by being herself. You can make girls realize that they don’t have to reduce their pieces of clothing to half and be all ty just to get a good catch. Besides, think about the benefits of being with Gerald! I can finally get to know him!

Beauty: See what I have to put up with? Kim, now you know what I mean when I said she’s crazy! Our free period is almost over let’s go to our next class.

***********************************************************

At the cafeteria, Kim was looking for Gerald, Mel Matt and the rest of her friends but the place was so crowded. She decided to sit with Beauty and Kitkat for the meantime and search through her bag for her phone.

Kitkat: Oh my God, is this really happening? Beauty! Batukan mo nga ako?

Beauty: Love to! (Smacked Kitkat’s forehead).

Kitkat: Owww! Bakit mo ako binatukan?

Beauty: You asked me to! Wait, why did you ask me to?

Kim was shaking her head, laughing at the company she ended up with. Those two kind of reminded her of being with Mel and Shaina.

Kitkat: I’m not imagining it, he really is heading this way!

Beauty: Who?

Beauty turned around and saw a grinning Gerald heading to their table.

Beauty: Oh my God, what did you do? Ginayuma mo sya ano?!!

Kitkat: I told you the s worked! He must have fallen in love when he saw me that day at the supermarket. I can just imagine him losing sleep, thinking about me all summer holidays and now, he had to seek me out through the crowded cafeteria to profess his undying love!

Beauty: I must have woken up in some kind of alternate universe…

Kim had to hold her laugh the whole time while her eyes were glued on Gerald. He waved as he jogged towards their table. Kim and Kitkat who was sitting beside her waved back.

“ My man wants me…”, Kitkat excitedly and dreamily declared. She held her head high as all eyes were on their table.
Gerald kept his gaze on Kim and said, “hey”.

Kim smiled and mouthed “hi”. She could feel the same excitement as Gerald was showing in his smile that they were finally able to spend some time together.

Kitkat: Hi Gerald!

Unfortunately Gerald’s attention was focused on Kim that he didn’t notice Kitkat’s greeting. He walked over next to where Kim was seating and bent down to kiss her cheek. “Hey baby, I’ve been looking all over for you!”

Kim blushed when she felt his lips on her skin, knowing that the whole cafeteria was looking at them. “Babe, I was actually about to call you.”

Kitkat: You two know each other?!

Beauty: Babe? You must know each other a little too well!

Gerald: Sorry pala girls huh. How rude of me. Do you girls mind if I steal my girlfriend away for a while?

Kitkat: Oh my god! Boyfriend mo si Gerald?! Oh my God you are going to kill me! Goodbye cruel world!

Kim could no longer hold her laughter.

Gerald: What did you girls do to my baby girl?

Kitkat: Beauty, shoot me now.

Kim: Kitkat, you have nothing to worry about. It’s all good. Sorry I never said anything. I was having too much fun at your expense. I’m really sorry.

Kitkat: Ako nga dapat ang mag-sorry sayo. Oh my God, all those things I’ve said about Gerald. You must hate me!

Kim: No, Kitkat, not at all.

Gerald: Why what happened?

Kim: Long story! Girl stuff.

Kitkat: Sorry Kim ha.

Kim: Kat, okay lang talaga.

Gerald: I’m Gerald by the way.

Kitkat: We know. I’m Kitkat.

Gerald: It’s good to meet you Kitkat. And it’s good to finally meet you Beauty.

Beauty: You know my name?

Gerald: Yeah Alex wouldn’t stop talking about you. You know him right?

Beauty: Not personally but you’re talking about Alex from your basketball team right?

Gerald: Yeah he has a huge crush on you but too chicken to make his move. You didn’t hear it from me,
right?

“If you say so”, Beauty shyly replied, trying to hide her blushing face.

Gerald: Would you girls like to join our table?

Kitkat: Under normal circumstances, nagtatatalon na ako sa offer mo but I have to say no. Wala na akong mukhang ihaharap sa inyo eh.

Beauty: Okay Kat, we’ll just see you in the next class then? So Gerald, what exactly had Alex been saying about me?

Kitkat: You’re ditching me? Sige na nga, sama na rin ako!

Kim: Come on Kat, you know you want to.

Gerald grabbed Kim’s bag and wrapped an arm around her shoulder to keep her close. “Na-miss kita babe”, he whispered before kissing her cheek.

Kim: Babe, everyone’s looking at us.

Gerald: They can’t keep their eyes off my beautiful woman. Too bad for them, you’re taken. Halika nga rito. (He surprised her with a tight hug.)

Kim: Hehe…na-miss mo talaga ako no? Ikaw talaga, my first day and we’ve already managed to make a scene!

Beauty: Wow ang sweet! Gerald I never thought that you were capable of being sweet to a girl but I take back everything I said about you.

Gerald: What exactly did you girls say about me anyway?

Kitkat: You don’t wanna know. Kimmy please don’t tell him.

Kim: Don’t worry, he won’t get it out of me.

Gerald: We’ll see about that! I have a way of getting to her deepest, darkest secrets.

Kim: Gerald!

A few students had smiled and said hello to Gerald on their way to the group’s table. Kim was surprised when a pretty, tall girl grabbed Gerald’s hand. Although Gerald had warned her about some girls the night before, she still could not help but get jealous. The girl wasn’t exactly unfortunate looking and by the looks of things, she was the type of girl that guys would worship.

Alison: Gerald honey!

She brought her body forward for a greeting hug but Gerald was quick to take one step back. Gerald could feel Kim’s hand trying to let go so he held on to it tighter.

Gerald: Alison, have you met my girlfriend, Kim?

Alison: Oh so you’re Kim. In fairness, may hitsura ka rin naman kahit papano.

Kim: Alison, you look much prettier in the picture. You must be photogenic.

Gerald: Kim and I are just about to have lunch so see ya!

Gerald wrapped an arm around her waist and tried to drag her away from Alison’s table.

Alison: Gerald wait! I’ll be looking forward to be your muse again this year! I’ll guarantee you more good times so I hope you’re as excited as I am.

Kim wanted to turn around and gouge the girl’s eyes out but Gerald was holding on to her and quickened his pace to get further away.

Kim was quiet as they sat down on the table.

Gerald: Baby, would you like some pineapple juice?

Kim: No thanks.

Gerald: What about cake? Do you want me to get you a cake?

Kim: No.

She turned her back on Gerald and started to have a conversation with Mel.

Gerald: I knew this was gonna happen! You just laughed at me last night when I was trying to make sure that nothing like this happens. Kimmy I thought you promised that we were not going to let whatever anyone says get to us?

Kim: Ano bang problema mo?

Gerald: You’re upset kaya ayaw mo akong kausapin. Baby, don’t be jealous of Alison, I’ve told you repeatedly that I love you at ikaw lang talaga.

Kim: Masyado ka namang assuming dyan ano! Just because I don’t feel like having some juice or cake, doesn’t mean that I’m jealous! Puhleeeze! Kung gusto mo sa malanding yon be my guest! Don’t expect that I’ll stop you!

Gerald: That’s it! I’m not gonna lose you again for the most stupid reasons Kim!

Gerald got up which made Kim nervous wondering what’s on his mind.

Kim: Where are you going?

Gerald: I’m gonna get to the PA system and announce to the whole campus just how much I love you and to warn them that I am not afraid to resort to violence if necessary to whoever gets in between us! Maybe I might even sing you a love song?

Kim would like to believe that he was bluffing but when he started to walk away, she nervously reached for his hand and stopped him.

Kim: Gerald please! Don’t do that, please I’m begging you. Okay I admit, I got a little jealous and afraid that she might steal you away from me.

Gerald: Don’t you trust me Kim? Don’t you trust me that I won’t let that happen? I don’t just say I love you for the sake of saying it. When are you going to believe me?

Kim: I believe you! Sorry na baby. Please don’t sing and embarrass me on my first day!

Gerald: So, ngayon ikinakahiya mo pa ako?

Kim: That’s not what I meant, that didn’t come out right. Please babe let’s just sit back down?

Gerald: Say you believe me first. Wag mo nang sabihin ulit or even think na may gusto ako sa ibang girls. Trust me when I say that I only want you.

Kim: Okay, I do trust you babe. Now can we go sit back down? I can just imagine what everyone’s gossiping about right now.

Gerald: Kiss muna!

Kim: Have you lost your mind? All eyes are on us!

Gerald: Isn’t this the ‘kiss and make up’ part?

Kim: When we get home.

Gerald: That’s a long wait. May interest na yan! Humanda ka babe, maniningil ako the minute we get home!

They headed back to their friends with fingers intertwined.