Make Or Break Time

You're Still The One

Another two weeks had passed and Kim was more miserable than ever. She endured three months missing Gerald and now that she’s finally back home, he was still far from her reach. She tried a few different ways to approach him but he ignored her everytime. She was hoping that he will wake up one day and realize that he couldn’t let her go.

Mel: Wow friend! You look extra gorgeous for our school dance tonight!

Shaina: Honey, with you looking so y like that, I wouldn’t be surprised if Gerald ends up back in your room by the end of the night.

Kim: A simple handshake and ‘let’s be friends again’ from him would be enough for me. Pero if he really insists on getting into my room, bakit ko ba naman tanggihan ang grasya, diba? Hehe… I’m positive tonight’s the night girls. Sana nga it will turn out great.

Mel: With your beautiful hair in waves and a lot of your glowing skin exposed, you’re a goddess baby! If I didn’t have Matt, I’d be sooo lesbian right now. Bading sya if he can still resist you.

Kim: Well, I was thinking na tonight is decision time. I have been miserable for weeks and it’s starting to take its toll on my studies. It’s time I move on if there really is no more chance between us. All I need is a sign before I can completely let go.

Mel: That’s my girl! We miss the happy and bubbly Kimmy that we love so much. Sawa na ako sa kadramahan mo no. It’s just so not you, parang hindi natural ang pag-emote emote mo. Yeah he’s been a great boyfriend pero kung wala na talaga, it’s time you move on na. Hindi ko feel na for the first time, you’re the one chasing after a guy.

Shaina: But the love is still there. Gerald wouldn’t be as hurt as he is kung wala na. You shouldn’t give up until he can look at you straight in the eye and tell you himself that he had lost that loving feeling.

Kim: Shaina, you are such a hopeless romantic! We are not in a romantic movie honey, this is reality. There’s a reason why things don’t work out no matter how much you love the person. Kasi nga siguro you really are just not meant to be. Basta I’m sick of crying. It’s make or break time tonight.

************************************************************

Mel: Well, so far our school dance turned out great. You’ve danced with almost every guy in our class tonight sweety pero somehow I can tell you’re not having as much fun as you would have wanted.

Kim: Yang mokong na yan, I’ve been eyeing him all night and kanina pa ako naka-smile sa kanya pero he’s determined not to approach me. Nagmukha na akong tangang cheap nito.

Shaina: Have you noticed friend, he hasn’t danced all night, considering he’s the king of the dance floor. Ang hirap kaya magpigil nyan when your body wants to join the rhythm. That can only mean one thing, right?

Kim: He’s being a drama queen again?

Shaina: No, he’s in love!

Mel: Gaga! Napaka-naïve mo talaga. If only I didn’t get your hair done, binatukan na kita.

Shaina: Totoo naman ah, tulala sya when he first saw you come in kanina diba?

Kim: Maybe I should make the first move. What more have I got to lose? They all think na I’m a cheater na ngayon ay naghahabol sa kanya.

Mel: I don’t think that’s such a great idea. Those flirts next to him nga kanina pa nag-try isayaw sya wa effect, ikaw pa kaya?

Kim: Hi Ge.

“Hi”, he answered coldly, trying not to look at her directly. (“What is she doing here? God, please don’t make this harder for me than it already is. She looks so beautiful tonight but I’d rather just watch her from the distance. If I talk to her I might not be able to resist and susuko na naman ang puso ko. I can’t just let her trample on my heart again. I am still trying to deal with the pain.”)

Kim: You look good. How’s your night so far?

Gerald: Is there anything that you want?

Kim: Uhm… I was going to ask you for a dance…If…If that’s okay?

Kirsten: Ay ang kapal naman talaga nito.

Gerald: Uhm sorry but Kirsten and I were just about to dance diba Kirsten?

Kirsten: Really? Wow! I’ve been asking you all night, I can’t believe you’ve finally said yes! (She grabbed Gerald’s hand and pushed Kim out of the way.) Excuse me, my man and I are about to hit it off on the dance floor.

Kim: I guess that’s my sign.

Kim wanted to go home and cry about Gerald for the last time. Instead she found herself slumped into a vacant seat and watched Kirsten hold on to Gerald as if she was holding on to dear life. It crushed her heart to see him holding her back, tightly. She tried so hard to hold back the tears as the two kept whispering sweet nothings to each other. They were dancing so close and her heart continued to break. She couldn’t wait until the end of the song. She had to get out of there while she still looked decent, as she thought about her mascara not being waterproof.

*********************************************************

Kim was still in bed when Mel came over to check up on her.

Mel: Ms sleeping beauty, gising na po. It’s almost midday na oh.

Kim: Ano ba! Shut the blinds please. Saturday naman ngayon eh, my day to sleep in.

Mel: Sos, I know you didn’t get your desired sign from God last night that’s why I’m here to help you move on.

Kim: One more day Mel then promise, I’ll start ‘life without Gerald 101’. Hindi pa ako ready today eh.

Mel: His message was loud and clear. It’s over, get it? There’s no better time to start than right now kaya get your up and hit the shower. Shaina and Joyce are on their way to the café.

Shaina: Kimmy final na ba talaga yang decision mo? That’s it? It’s really over?

Kim: That’s it. It’s time to let go. It’s not healthy for me to hold on to something that can never be. Ayaw na nya sa akin and I can take a hint. I degraded myself enough already by trying to woo him. I can’t believe I sank to the same level as those s.

Mel: Quit beating yourself up about it hon. You’ve tried but your efforts fell on deaf ears. That doesn’t make you a . Besides, Gerald was really in love with you, those s didn’t even get a second look. Don’t compare yourself kasi you are so much better than that.

Kim: I guess his love wasn’t strong enough kasi he was willing to lose me that easily. And for what? Wala naman talagang solid reason to end what we had.

Shaina: Sayang lang talaga, I feel heartbroken for you two. You two were such a great couple, you were perfect for each other. It’s like if you two couldn’t make it, what hope is there left for the rest of us!

Joyce: I am deeply saddened as well. It’s too soon to see you two separated. Luckily we only have a couple more months before we graduate.

Mel: Ano ba tong dalawang to. Parang feeling nyo part kayo ng relationship nila ha!

Shaina: Parang ganun na nga kasi if another girl flirts with Gerald, naging defensive ako for Kim.

Joyce: Ako din, nagseselos ako for Kim. You had that extra-ordinary relationship that affects the whole community as well.

Kim: Ano kami, parang global financial crisis, ganun? Affected lahat! I thought you guys were going to help me get over him! Bakit sya pa rin ang topic? Ang hirap nga makapag-move on na nakikita ko sya everyday. Good thing we only have a couple of months left before we graduate. Forgetting him would finally be more possible then.

Joyce: Paano if let’s say natauhan sya and gustong makipagbalikan sayo?

Kim: I don’t want to think about those things. I mean, I can’t keep hoping na parang tanga diba? I’ve made my decision and I have to stand by it.

************************************************************

Gerald continued to struggle trying to keep up his end of the bargain of their ‘cool off’ period. He was missing her more and more and his feelings for her intensified as the days went by. She no longer acknowledges him at school like she used to. She doesn’t even spare him a glance. “Is it possible for her to be over me already?” He didn’t realize that he had said it loud enough for Joaqui to hear.

Joaqui: Ang bilis naman yata bro. Pero if totoo ang hinala mo na she didn’t love you enough, siguro nga. Napagod na rin siguro sya no, masyado ka kasing playing hard to get. She’s only human you know, you can drive her to her limits.

Gerald: Ganun lang ba kadali yun for her? Why is it so easy for her to ignore what we had? Bakit ako? I still can’t get her out of my mind, out of my heart? Why is it so hard for me?

Joaqui: Ewan ko sayo bro. Ikaw ang bida sa teleserye na ito, sidekick lang ako.

Gerald: Para namang ako ang contrabida dito eh. Sya ang happy in the end tapos ako, sobrang miserable.

Joaqui: You really want my opinion? I think she’s not over you yet. I haven’t seen her date anybody kahit na ang daming guys na nagkakagusto sa kanya. Si Matteo lang ang nakikita kong kasama nya parati eh sa mga guys. And another thing, if she’s really over you, hindi sya maiilang na ikaw ang partner nya sa upcoming play. The fact that she swapped your character with Matteo’s means na she is still struggling when you are close by.

Gerald: Sana nga that’s the case and not that she has come to the point that she hates my presence.

Joaqui: Malapit na ang graduation bro. You might not see her again. You should probably patch things up with her before the schoolyear ends. Kahit hindi na kayo magkabalikan, just maintain your friendship. Sayang din naman kasi, you were such a great pair as bestfriends.

Gerald: That would be my greatest fear, ang tuluyang mawala si Kim sa buhay ko. She had been such an important part of me that I can’t even bare to entertain that thought at all. Hindi ko hahayaang mangyari yan bro.

Joaqui: You really do love her, don’t you?

Gerald: With all my heart. That’s why masyado akong nasaktan diba? Because I love her so much mas lalong intense ang pain, that’s why I need to distant myself from her.

Joaqui: Pero diba mas lalo ka ring nasasaktan that you two are apart?

Gerald: I know, litong lito na talaga ako.

Joaqui: You’ll get over her bro. Mahirap pa lang ngayon kasi you see her everyday pero once she’s out of sight, mas madali na yan. Marami ka pang girls na makarelasyon, we’re still young dude. Ang daming gorgeous beauties when we get to college, magsasawa tayo.

Gerald: Pero bro, I don’t think I’ll go through another serious relationship again. Never na talaga ako ma in-love. Ang sakit when things go wrong. I don’t ever want to experience this again.