Conquering Heartbreak

You're Still The One

“Okay, operation ‘life without Gerald’ starts right now!” She enthusiastically picked up all the things that reminded her of Gerald and boxed them up. When she was satisfied that there were no more pictures or presents from him lying anywhere around her house, she started moving the boxes to the basement. “Now that I’m not stuck wasting my time thinking about Gerald, I can finally catch up with a lot of things that I have put aside. Hmm.. What to do first… the house is all squeaky clean so maybe I should start taking up those hobbies that I have always wanted to try. Hmm… Nakakainis naman, first day of holiday ang daming pwede kong gawin pero wala akong maisip na unahin! Maybe I should start reading that Haematology book.”

Mel: You have so totally lost it! You are such a nerd Kimmy! Katatapos pa nga lang natin ng high school, first day of vacation, you’re studying? You can’t be serious!

Kim: I should ask my cousin not to let you in anymore. Everytime you barge in, nilalait mo ako.

Mel: Dapat lang no. This is so unhealthy Kimmy. What happened to making the most of our holidays, huh?

Kim: Kasi wala akong magawa eh. I spent the whole morning cleaning the house tapos, I ran out of things to do na. It’s too hot outside to do some gardening.

Mel: You are such a dork. Pareho kayo ni Shaina, she would also rather clean up her house than go out. I’m guessing there’s trouble in paradise.

Kim: Ha? May LQ sila ni Rayver? Halika, puntahan natin. Para din naman I can get my mind off Gerald.

Mel: Hay naku Kimmy, wala ka nang pag-asa pa dyan.

Kim: No actually, I’ve done pretty good for myself so far. I even managed to get rid of all things that have any connection with him.

Mel: Kaya pala ang empty na ng bahay mo. I thought you were just getting ready for your move overseas.

Mel: Teka, pati ba mga kaldero, you got rid of too?

Kim: Eh kasi they remind me of those times that we were happily cooking, which leads to thoughts of our romantic dinners which leads to the make out session that always follows and you know the rest.

Mel: Ano, hindi ka na lang magluluto? What about your plates, your tables and your kitchen na rin? Are you getting rid of them too?

Kim: No, sobra ka naman. May pots pa naman ako eh, yung hindi namin nagamit.

Mel: Sira ka talaga. Halika na nga, puntahan natin yung isa pang sira. I hope hindi din ako maging lunatic like you two dahil lang kay Matt.

Kim: No, in your case, sya ang mababaliw sa’yo. He! He!

************************************************************

Shaina: Guys napadalaw kayo! Would you like some cake? Nag-bake ako.

Mel: She baked? Must be a serious quarrel.

Kim: Just say yes.

Mel: Are you for real? Have you forgotten na parang bato ang mga cookies nya?

They were shocked to see her whole kitchen filled with all kinds of cakes.

Mel: Wow, Shaina! You weren’t kidding when you said you baked. My mission ka bang pakainin lahat ng starving children in Africa?

Kim elbowed Mel and gave her a ‘be nice’ look. “Wow Sha, which one should we try first? They all look great!”

“Friend, I’m scared to say goodbye to my teeth. Can we even take a bite on those cakes without breaking our teeth?” Mel whispered.

Kim: Mel hindi to cookies, they’re cakes. At mukha namang masarap ah. Let me try this one. (She almost spat it straight out but managed to swallow the piece, careful not to hurt Shaina’s feelings.) Shaina, did you follow the recipe book for these cakes?

Shaina: Not exactly, I added my own special touch to each of them para naman memorable diba? You and Mel will love these kasi they are all alcoholic cakes. I used Baileys instead of milk and strawberry liqueur for the strawberry gateaux.

Kim: Ah, kaya pala…talagang memorable nga. Natuto akong kumain without chewing first.

Shaina: Teka muna guys ha may kukunin lang ako upstairs.

Mel: At least we have an excuse for puking. We can just say na we got drunk.

Kim: Shh.. She might hear you. (giggled)

Mel: Ano ba naman to, I’m starting to doubt my taste in friends. It’s scary that I belong in this group. Yung isa, parang na-akyat bahay, nawalan ng laman ang house and linis ng linis all because of a guy. Yung isa naman na akala ko mas matino, filled up the whole house with inedible, alcoholic and nakakamatay na cakes also all because of a guy. Ganito ba talaga ang nagagawa ng heartbreak? Siguro ngayon pa lang magpropose na ako kay Matt at pakakasalan ko na sya para hindi ako ma-mental case like these two.

Kim: Naku mas weird kaya yung vices mo nung nag-away kayo ni Matt.

Mel: Basta I’ve had enough of this. Let’s go out na lang to get your minds off men. Kahit kailan problema talaga yang mga lalaking yan. Bakit nga ba tayo palaging nagpa-uto sa kanila?

Shaina: Hey guys! I have gone through a few websites and found us a hotel in boracay. I have also looked at all the activities that we can do while we’re there.

Kim: Shaina, you have been busy today! What happened with you and Rayver?

Shaina sat down and started crying.

Kim: It’s okay sweety, we’re here for you. Did you guys break up?

Shaina: No. I mean, we never had a relationship so I can’t really call it a break-up. He’s still only courting me so I shouldn’t act like a loser ex-girlfriend, right?

Mel: Honey if he’s messing around with another girl while still pursuing you then you have every right to get mad at him like a crazy lunatic ex-girlfriend.

Kim: Talagang gusto mong isingit yang lunatic part! Shaina sweety, what happened?

Shaina: (Sob) Eh kasi, his bestfriend since birth told him that she’s in love with him! Now confused Romeo ang drama nya! Sya pa tong may guts to act like he’s a damsel in distress!

Kim: Sweety, he is so not worth it if his heart was not even 100% for you to start with. It’s hard if the guy’s feelings are not strong enough, konting issue lang and he couldn’t bail out fast enough. At least you found out early diba, before you have completely given your whole heart and soul to him. Mas masakit when your relationship has gotten deeper, it’s harder to get back up.

Mel: Are you referring to Gerald or to Rayver?

Kim: Mel naman eh!

Mel: Okay, sorry! Shaina, sa ganda mong yan ang dami mo pang ma-meet na guys na more deserving for you. Wa’g mo na lang papiliin si Rayver between you and “the bestfriend”. The fact that he can’t decide means that his feelings for you are not totally genuine. Write his name down on your diary under letter R as one of your guys in your hall of fame and shame. Then move on. There are plenty more letters in the alphabet.

Kim: I think I should start a diary too.

Shaina: You don’t need it kasi I bet isang name lang naman ang----

“Ehem!” Mel kicked her feet as she interrupted Shaina before she gives anything away. “Shaina, you are one hot babe. Heck, we all are! We shouldn’t have a problem filling up our diaries with all kinds of names. Kaya tama na tong kadramahan nyo ok? I for one want to go out and have fun while Matt is still in Manila. I’m bored and I’m lonely at home and I know for a fact that you are too. Besides, if I let you two stay at home baka kung ano anong mga kababalaghan na naman ang mangyayari. Baka magugulat na lang ako na-feature na kayo sa Ripley’s Believe It or Not!”

Kim: Ay wa’g naman punuin ang diary with names. Ang dami kayang lalaki nyan! Baka malosyang na ako kahit wala pang anak!

Mel: Hehe... Tingnan mo ang takbo ng utak nito! Bakit sinabi ko bang i-try ang kama sutra with all of them? Pwede naman isali ang naging dates lang no!

Kim: He! He! I guess this is what happens when you are deprived of some bed action. I swear, lately that’s all I can ever think about.

Mel: Teka lang tawagan ko si Gerald.

Kim: Hehe… Sira!

Shaina: Eww, thanks Kimmy. Pinalitan mo ang thoughts ko of Rayver with something that is harder to get rid of.

Kim: Don’t tell me you are actually picturing me in a kama sutra position with a whole list of guys in a diary?

Shaina: Eww! Eww! Eww! I was only thinking about your fantasies with Gerald. Now, you have just made it worse! Again, thanks a lot!

Mel: Thanks for all these cakes Shaina ha pero I can’t take another bite. Kimmy just ruined my apetite!