Chapter 46

You're Still The One

Kim’s mom arrived a few days before her birthday but Kim insisted on not having a big party. They organised a small gathering with family and close friends. The party went well, she looked stunning in her short red cocktail dress. When the party was coming to an end and only her closest friends remained, she finally got a call from Gerald. She had been waiting for his phone call all day but had felt so down that she didn’t hear from him at all considering it’s her birthday. (“Does he even remember that it’s my birthday?”)

Kim: Hi Gerald.

Gerald: Uh oh. Is something wrong? You sound a little upset, I’m not hearing the usual sweet ‘hi babe’ greeting.

Kim: Oh nothing, just a little tired.

Gerald: So, how was my baby’s day? Anything exciting happened today?

Kim: (“Oh my god! He really did forget! I thought I was important to him. Apparently not important enough na birthday ko hindi man lang nya maalala. Baka naman may mga bimbos that are keeping him busy. Ahhh! Bahala sya!”) Are you even aware kung anong date ngayon?

Gerald: Whoah! Hello to you too. Bad mood yata ang babe ko ngayon ah. Today’s date? Is it 18 or 19? Not too sure, I haven’t had much time to check the calendar lately eh.

Kim: I bet you’ve been very busy. I guess why would you at all bother to check the importance of today’s date when you’re having way too much fun over there huh? Sige dyan ka na lang, baka mabugbog ka pa if you show your face back here!

Kim didn’t care that her close friends could hear, she raised her voice and held back the tears as she hanged up on Gerald. As she turned around, there was a familiar guy grinning in front of her, holding a bouquet of white lilies and pink roses.

Gerald: Happy birthday baby!

Kim didn’t know how to react or what to say. She was still so fired up and so annoyed at him that she didn’t know what to make of the scene she was currently in. “You bastard!” She buried her head in his shoulders as he hugged her tightly and trapped her in his arms.

Gerald: I’ve missed you so much babe. I tried to get here early but our car overheated which caused some delay. Pero at least the main thing is I made it to your birthday just as I promised.

Kim’s tears were unstoppable so she didn’t bother to move or speak.

Kim’s Mom: Are you two just gonna hug there all night or do you have plans to feed your honey Ms. Kim? He hasn’t had anything kasi diretso yan dito from the airport.

Kim finally emerged from his chest, still with a grumpy look. “I hate you Gerald!”

He couldn’t wipe the huge smile off his face. “Akala mo nakalimutan ko birthday mo ano?”

Kim: Kainis ka talaga! You got me all upset for nothing!

Gerald: Sorry babe, I wanted to surprise you. Aw, naiyak tuloy ang baby ko. Come here sweety. (He gave her another tight hug and sweet little kisses all over her face.) Happy birthday babe. I love you so much. You don’t know how much I’ve missed you! Did you miss me?

Kim: (blushing) Sobra.


Gerald: Wow, you look so stunning in that dress baby! Joaqui was right when he said I would miss out big time if I can’t make it to your birthday.

Kim just smiled.

Gerald: Wala ba akong ‘welcome back’ kiss?

While still in each other’s arms, Kim leaned forward and softly kissed Gerald’s lips. Gerald took over and they shared a sweet, loving kiss amidst whistles and hoorays from the small crowd that surrounded them.

Gerald: Words can’t justify how much I’ve missed holding you babe. Everyday I thought about kissing and holding you, it was driving me crazy.

Kim: I’ve missed you heaps too babe. I’ve missed being with you.

Kim’s mom: I’m sorry to interrupt your lambingan but I promised your mom Ge that you’ll be taken care of. Kaya kain ka muna baka magkasakit ka pa, I heard that your last meal was back in the plane.

Gerald: Sige po tita, thank you po. And thanks for all your help.

Kim’s mom: (hugged Gerald and kissed him on the forehead.) Anytime sweetie, as long as you keep your promise to look after my daughter. Anyways good to see you Ge.

Kim: Ma, I can’t believe you knew the whole time that Gerald was coming. I do wonder what other conspiracies you two are up to.

Gerald stayed behind long after all their close friends have bid their goodbyes. They were standing by the backyard garden, kissing and holding each other tight. Kim could read mischief in Gerald’s smile as they emerged from another long, passionate kiss. “Oh, what’s with that smile?”

Gerald: I haven’t given your birthday present yet. (Slowly brought his lips to caress hers.)

Kim: Mmm. Baby, kung ano mang present binabalak mong ibigay sa birthday ko, just keep in mind that we have company. We can’t do what I think you want to happen.

Gerald: I’ve talked to your mom about this and she was even the one who suggested it. Besides I’m your boyfriend so I really want to give you this present.

Kim: (“Patay! Am I ready for this? Why am I so nervous? We’ve had a few close calls so I should be ready, right? Teka, he talked to my mom about our life? Eww… Why on earth would he do that?! I never thought he was so weird. What am I supposed to say now?”) Uhm…babe, remember what you told me na you’ll never pressure me into doing something I’m not comfortable with? Well, I don’t think I’m quite ready to receive your present just yet.

Gerald moved behind her and started kissing her neck. He knew she had always found that irresistible. Judging by her soft moans, she was having a hard time resisting his charms. He whispered, “relax baby, just keep your eyes closed.” Kim obliged despite her nervousness, anticipating what was going to happen next. “Okay now open your eyes.”

Kim was surprised at his words. (“Huh? Bakit ba, gusto ba nyang makita ko ang ‘weapon of mass seduction’ nya? Hindi naman siguro, we’re outside where my mom can actually see us!”) She slowly opened her eyes and was overly excited to see a small red box containing a beautiful twist necklace with a heart pendant. (“Loka loka talaga ako, ang layo pala sa iniisip kong present! Hehe..”) The pendant has a heart-shaped diamond (her birthstone) in the middle and as she turned it over, she noticed it was engraved with “Kimerald Forever”. “Kimerald?”

Gerald: Yes, combination of our names, Kim and Gerald. Diba so precious ang dating parang rare and delicate gemstone? Just like you and the love we share. One of a kind romance. Precious!

Kim: Wow, this is so beautiful babe. Thank you so much. This must have cost you a fortune. The diamond is simply stunning. You didn’t have to get me anything babe, just making an effort to get here on my birthday was a great enough birthday gift for me. This is too much babe, I hope you haven’t used up your college money for this.

Gerald: For my most beloved, only the best. Your mom said you’ve always loved lockets. I hope you don’t mind, nilagyan ko na ng pictures.

Kim immediately opened the locket and couldn’t help but smile when she saw a picture of her on one side and Gerald’s gorgeous smiling face on the other. “I love it babe! This is the best present ever! Thank you so much!”

When Gerald finished putting the necklace on her neck, Kim turned around and gave him a proper loving and tender ‘thank you’ kiss. “Thanks for making me so happy on my birthday babe. I love you.”

Gerald rubbed his nose with hers as they smiled at each other. “I love you more.” He gave her a teasing look as he remembered something. “Now about that birthday present that you had in mind…”

Kim: Kinabahan ako sayo huh. If you only knew. (She started giggling as she remembered her ‘not so innocent’ thoughts earlier.)

Gerald: You know if it was all up to me, I’d give you my all in a heartbeat baby, especially on your special day. Sabihin mo na cheap and easy ako basta ikaw kahit puri ko, I’ll surrender it all.

Kim: Na-shock ako dun ha. Meron pa bang natitirang puri for you to give up?

Gerald: Ouch. Grabe ka naman, of course meron pa.

Kim: Wa’g ka nang magtampo babe, joke lang. Ikaw kasi eh kung makapag-salita as if ako pa ang may gustong pagsamantalahan ka just because it’s my birthday.

Gerald: Oh I know exactly what present you had in mind baby. You’ve been contemplating on that the minute I got here.

Kim: Ooows, ganun ba? Mind reader ka na pala ngayon huh?

Gerald: Your eyes reveal your hidden desires for Mr. Anderson hun.

Kim slowly moved her lips closer to his and delivered one long sensual kiss that made Gerald melt. Her hands started roaming all over his body making Gerald weak and excited at the same time. He started getting a little nervous as it was getting harder and harder for him to control himself. Kim knew that teasing him like this wasn’t such a good idea but hey, it was way too much fun. Besides, he still owed her for getting her all upset thinking he forgot her birthday. It was payback time. Gerald was loving every minute of their make-out session and struggled to get a hold of himself. “Baby do you realize where we are?”

Kim: In my garden?

Gerald: Sweety, I love kissing you and enjoying all of you but this is not the right place to do this.

Kim continued kissing his neck and chest, hiding her cunning smile. “It’s okay baby. I’ve missed you. Gosh you are HOT! I want you baby, I want you now!”

Gerald: Man I am going to punch myself after saying this but we need some privacy if we really want to keep going baby. Believe me it is such a struggle for me to stop this but –

Kim: Fine, fine. You’ve had your chance. Can’t say I never tried. (Pushed him off and walked away with a triumphant smile.)

Gerald: Babe, wa’g ka naman ganyan oh. Alam na alam mo naman na gustong gusto ko. You know exactly what your kisses and touches do to me. Pero if your mom sees us in a not so decent position, I’ll be banned from seeing you for life.

Kim just continued to walk away while Gerald was trying to catch up to her working on his explanation.

Gerald: Babe, wait up!

Kim slightly lifted up her dress to reveal more of her gorgeous, flawless legs and started chanting, “Hindi mo to matitikman” to the tune of ‘Don Romantiko’.

Gerald: Dang! Sige lang, tease me baby. Just wait until I get you solo little miss! (laughed as he ran after her).