Trouble

You're Still The One

Four years of university went by fast. Both Kim and Gerald are very popular students in their campus taking active and prominent parts in various extracurricular activities such as in theatre, sports, dance and academic competitions for Kim.

A lot of girls have tried to snatch Gerald but they all failed miserably, unable to shift his attention away from Kim. There had also been a fare share of guys that had been a cause of jealousy for Gerald but Kim had always re-assured him that he has nothing to worry about.

Most girls have long given up at the notion of becoming Gerald’s fling. However, two girls have refused to accept defeat and were getting desperate knowing that there’s only over a month to go before graduation.

When Alison noticed Gerald entering the supply room to get some costumes, she quickly snuck into the same room, locking the door before anyone else could get in. She knew she had to make her moves fast as Kim may not be far behind being on the same theatre club as them.

“What the…?” Gerald scowled as the light was turned off.

A horrifying, gut-wrenching feeling overcame him as he felt someone’s arms wrapped around his waist. The bad vibe coupled with some cheap designer imposter perfume were reason enough to believe that this girl was nothing but bad news.

Alison: Hey baby. Finally we’re alone! (She wrapped her arms around his waist.)

He grabbed her arms and forcefully took them off him. He was fuming with so much anger as he pushed her away.

Gerald: Alison, have you lost your mind? You are one crazy you know that?

Alison: Baby relax and just enjoy your private time with me. Promise I won’t tell if you don’t want me to. This will be just our little secret.

He had to push her away harder this time, too furious to care that she could get hurt if her body hits the floor or the wall hard enough.

Gerald: ! Alison, have some self respect! Mahiya ka naman kung hindi sa ibang tao at least sa sarili mo! I do not like you. I am not interested in you. I have a girlfriend and she’s the only one for me. Sya lang. Ang dami namang lalaki dyan na interested sayo, please lang, leave me alone!

Alison: Gerald, please all I’m asking for is a chance. Just one moment with me. Just one kiss. See if there’s anything meaningful that could happen between us. How can you be so sure na yang girlfriend mong yan lang talaga ang gusto mo if you haven’t tried the rest di ba? You might find that there are a lot better choices out there for you if you only have an open mind!

Gerald: I don’t have to try any other because I am very happy with what I have. I have told you repeatedly, why would I bother looking for any other woman when my girlfriend is everything and more than I could ever wish for? Just give it up Alison. Wala ka talagang mapapala sa akin.

***********************************************************

Kim was chatting animatedly with Mel and two other members of their theatre club when they reached the supply room to get more costumes and props. “It’s locked. Does anyone have the keys?”

Mel: It shouldn’t be locked. I just got some supplies before and bukas naman yan. Isn’t Gerald supposed to be here too?

“Yeah he is.” Kim’s heart was thumping erratically against her rib cage. For some reason, she could not shake off that awful feeling she was feeling right that instant. She tried the door again but it really was locked.

Gerald had given up trying to reason with Alison. The woman was too determined to get her claws on him, she was beyond any sort of reason. He didn’t bother getting the costumes that he was ordered to collect and just fumbled towards the door. Little did he know, the lunatic of a woman got down to her bare essentials stripping down to her underwear, while he was heading for the door.

He swore as the first sight that greeted him as soon as he opened the door, was Kim’s shocked expression.

Kim: Babe? Why is the door locked?

Mel: Yeah, why did you lock the door? At bakit ang dilim? What were you doing in there?

Kim’s heart shattered to the sight of Alison in the same supply room as Gerald, who was practically with a big triumphant smile on her face.

Before Gerald could try to explain, Kim had dashed out of the building as fast as her legs and emergency glands could let her. She drove off the parking lot at an illegal speed, tears were clouding her vision.

She drove for hours, with her car stereo on full blast, screaming along with the angry rock songs on her CD which got her a few weirded-out looks from other drivers.

Kim: Pakialam nila kung feel kung kumanta at magwala?

She didn’t want to think. She wanted to get rid of the horrifying image of that with her boyfriend. She wanted to scream and she parked by a fairly deserted beach and screamed her lungs out. She didn’t care if she was attracting the sort of attention that could involve police sirens and public humiliation.

When she was no longer able to let out what was left of her voice, she resorted to calling the one person that she knew would be on her side no matter what.

Kim: Hey Matteo, if the group is with you can you please, please, please not make it obvious that you’re talking to me?

Matteo: Kimmy! Thank God you’re alright! We have been worried sick about you!

Kim: Where are you?

Matteo: Don’t worry I’m back at home. Gerald is still driving around looking for you, probably about to get a heart attack or some sort of mental health emergency.

Kim: I would have called Mel but it will be too easy for the others to notice her leave.

Matteo: I’m starting my car as we speak. Where are you?

Matteo moved back to Philippines and transferred on his fourth year of university. He was not able to study on the same university as Kim and his high school friends but he stayed close with the group nonetheless. Kim had often resorted to his advice when she needed a male perspective on things especially during disagreements with Gerald.

With his trusty flashlight, he found her sitting on the sand, talking to an imaginary audience.

Matteo: Hey…

Kim: I think I’m crazy.

Matteo: We have long established that. (He sat next to her). It’s dark enough in here for someone to do the worse to you and dump your body in the water without anyone noticing. (Sigh) Woman you are one massive pain in the !

Kim: Here I am expecting to be consoled and comforted after what I have been through today. Instead, I get told that I’m a pain in the . Story of my life!

Matteo: Come on…you know I love you girl…but sometimes I just want to knock some sense in that crazy head of yours. Hanging out in the dark by yourself?

Kim: Remind me again why I picked you among all the friends that I could have called?

There was an uncomfortable silence between the two before Matteo decided to bring up the topic.

Matteo: You know Gerald wouldn’t do such thing right?

Kim: I know…

Matteo: She must have cornered her somehow.

Kim: I know…

Matteo: So, why are we here exactly?

Kim: I don’t know…

Matteo: He loves you. He was crying and cursing and sobbing and punching the whole time. Can we end his misery and come back home?

Kim: Let him suffer for a little while…

Matteo: Kimmy! You are going to cause some serious psychological problems to the poor guy and he’s not even married to you yet! Everyday I’m starting to realize how lucky I am that you picked him over me.

Kim: You’re so funny I’m laughing on the inside…

Matteo: Alison set him up. She snuck in, locked the door and turned off the lights. It was just unfortunate that you happened to be there just when he was escaping away from that crazy, deluded . It’s not the first time she’s done something scheming and desperate like this. You couldn’t possibly believe that Gerald would do this to you.

Kim: I know…

Matteo: So, what’s the problem?

Kim: She was in her underwear…in a dark room with my boyfriend. I can’t get the image off my head. Women would go to that extreme for him. Sometimes I wonder if I’m willing to live with someone who needs to be watched 24/7. Everytime I take my eyes off him, all these girls start dropping their for him. Is it only going to be a matter of time before he gets tempted?

Matteo: Kimmy you know I can’t answer that for him. All I know is he loves you. He is not the type of guy that would ruin a wonderful relationship with someone he truly loves just for some desperate, ty girl. In fact a lot of guys, decent guys, find such desperate behavior a massive turn off. Do people still use the word ‘’?

Kim: I still do but then again with my head on schoolwork lately, I’m not the most updated when it comes to the ‘in’ terms. So since I’m so out of touch of what is cool nowadays, I’ll stick to ty y ho !

Matteo: Gerald would need a serious lobotomy session if he would even think of trading one fine, classy, beautiful, intelligent, kind-hearted, amazing, y woman with legs that go on forever with some desperate, tly, y ho . Really if you think that’s the kind of man he is, why are you sticking around?

Kim: Point taken. I wouldn’t be madly in love with him if he showed me reasons to think that he’s not the kind, good, faithful and honest man that I believe he is. Sa tagal namin na magkasama, he’s had plenty of chance to bail out but he’s still hanging around. He’s still the one. That should mean something right?

Matteo: So can we go home now? I’m hungry and I prefer hanging out at a more lit place.

***********************************************************

Everyone fussed around Kim the minute she got home. She winced as she cupped a mouthful from Mel who was both concerned and infuriated at equal levels. When Gerald entered the house, they were gathered at the lounge room, laughing as they recalled the death-match between Mel and Alison right after Kim and Gerald had fled the scene. He looked defeated and exhausted.

Gerald: Kim…

Mel: Fun is over team.

Gerald’s mom: You guys talk. We’ll be just next door if you need us okay? Kids let’s go.

Joaqui: Ay! No fun! Can’t we just hang around and pretend that we’re not listening?

Gerald’s mom pushed the whining Joaqui out the door. “Come on hun, we can eavesdrop through the wall. I’ve stolen Kim’s stethoscope.”