Chapter 50

You're Still The One

Their last year of high school had been smooth sailing so far. Gerald and Kim continued to be very sweet and loving although they haven’t had the opportunity to repeat their ‘special night’ since school started. They were the favourite and cutest couple of the campus. Of course they would also occasionally hear talks and gossips about their relationship. Kim had noticed people questioning about how long their relationship will last. The main issue is Gerald’s past and how friendly he still is with the girls who flirt with him. Some girls like to believe their illusions that Gerald wants to get with them but can’t act on it since he was already committed. Guys also constantly flirt with Kim when they think Gerald is not around or he is not watching. There had been a few ‘selosan’ and ‘tampohan’ moments but these incidents only managed to strengthen their relationship and made them appreciate each other more. One time they were having dinner at a restaurant and they couldn’t help but overhear a few girls talking as they were the topic of the conversation.

Girl 1: We are still so young and of course Gerald will want to experiment with different girls. I don’t believe that si Kim lang talaga ang gusto nyang makasama from now until he’s ready to settle down. Magsasawa talaga yan, it’s only a matter of time.

Girl 2: Yeah, after high school hindi na sila classmates. Let’s see if they can manage not being able to watch each other all the time. Ang daming magagandang babae sa college with different personalities and without Kim around, I’m sure Gerald will play. She thinks she can change him, I bet you he’ll go back to his old ways.

Gerald was furious after hearing this. He regretted taking her out for dinner that night. There was no truth to their speculations but knowing Kim she would still feel hurt hearing such nasty opinions about their relationship. “Babe, don’t mind them. Wala kasing mga boyfriends ang mga yan kaya bitter. You know none of those are true. I love you so much I would never do anything to mess up our relationship.”

Kim: I know babe. I’ve heard these talks before. At first, it did make me think about us and where we are heading. We’re happy now that’s all that matters. We’ll think about college when we get there.

Gerald: Never akong magsawa sa’yo babe. I look forward to seeing you everyday and I can’t get enough of you whenever we’re together. You’re one of a kind baby. You’re the only girl who’s perfect for me in every way. I love your personality, your looks, the way you move, how cheeky you are and I love how cute you are pag nagtatampo ka. (pinched her cheeks) I can’t bear to lose you baby. Like the song said, ‘a girl like you is impossible to find.’

Kim: Me too babe, I’ll never get sick of you. Everyday kinikilig ako sayo. Titigan mo lang ako and that’s it. I’m all yours. My day is not complete kung wala ka nangungulit sa akin. I know people are saying na a guy with serious personality ang more suited sa akin. Yung type na hindi palaging nilalapitan ng girls and not the going out type of person. Pero for me, your bubbly personality and ang pagiging makulit mo was what attracted me most.

Gerald: Let’s just ignore those jealous people. I’ll do everything for you babe, I know we’ll make it. Basta happy tayo, happy ka and you’re not letting them affect you I’m content. They’ll understand once they also meet that special someone.

**********************************************************

Kim was having a bad hair day when she heard a group of girls talking about Gerald and how they insisted that he was flirting back when they tried to chat him up during basketball practice. That morning they agreed on meeting up at their secret spot after school. She called him a few times after checking that he was 15 minutes late but he never answered his phone. She told herself that it was no big deal, natagalan lang ang practice but she still can’t stop herself from thinking of worse scenarios. In the back of her head, she knows that Gerald would never do such thing but her day had been one disaster after another that she was expecting the worst. She decided to stay for five more minutes then started her car just when she got a message from Gerald apologizing that he was running late. She was all fired up and decided to leave. She stopped by the market to get some barbeque before heading home and that’s when she heard a few girls talking. They were unaware of her presence and continued to chat about their ultimate fantasy, Gerald. (“Napaka-walang hiya naman ng mga babaeng ito, they know that the guy has a girlfriend, nilalandi pa rin nila. Ma-karma sana kayo. When you meet the guy that you will truly fall in love with, sana lokohin lang kayo nun…ipagpalit kayo sa ibang malandi ng masaktan kayo ng todo! Naku maka-alis na nga, kung ano ano na ang ipinagdadasal ko. Mas lalo tuloy uminit ulo ko.”) Her phone was ringing non-stop while she was driving home. She could see Gerald’s picture flashing on her screen so she turned it off. When she got home, she advised her cousins not to open the gate if Gerald comes over.

Her mood changed when she noticed a letter with a French stamp on it, on her dressing table. Her frustration turned to excitement as she opened the letter. She took the scholarship test last year to study in France as an exchange student. She gave up on it six months ago when she never heard from them. In fact she had completely forgotten about the whole thing. She didn’t expect to be hearing from them at all. As she opened the letter, she prayed so hard that she still had a chance. She screamed as she read it out loud, realizing that in a month’s time, she will be attending a French school. She jumped up and down and picked up her phone. She almost forgot that she was mad at Gerald and started dialling his number to tell him the good news. “Teka, ayoko palang maka-usap yang mokong na yan.” She called Mel instead. She had to hang up after only a couple of minutes of chatting because her cousin Jun wouldn’t stop knocking on her door.

Jun: Kasi Ate, si Kuya Gerald nakakaawa naman. Kanina pa yun sa labas, begging me to let him in. Please let him in parang iiyak na yun eh. Ano bang kasal-anan nya at tinutorture mo?

Kim: Late sya!

Jun: Ate naman, yun lang? Ang OA naman ng reaction mo. Akala ko kung ano nang ginawa ni Kuya. It’s not the first time naman na na-late sya eh. Diba minsan naman talaga their coach extends their practice and they have no choice but to stay back? Kausapin mo na si Kuya, kawawa naman.

Kim thought for a while. How dare her cousin side Gerald over her? Just because he taught him everything he knows on all those PS3 games doesn’t mean he should turn on back on his own flesh and blood! (“What’s up with me today? Pati ang cousin ko dinadamay ko sa mood swing ko.”) She thought about Gerald waiting outside and what her cousin said. (“Oo nga no. He didn’t really do anything totally wrong. I’m just having a bad hair day so I got so mad at him for the smallest of reasons.”) She went downstairs and headed for the gate. She found Gerald sitting on the ground, madly texting her as she slowly opened the gate.

Kim: What do you want?

Gerald quickly got up upon hearing her voice and rushed to hug her. “Babe, I’m really truly sooo sorry for being late. I don’t know if you’ve read any of my messages. I explained everything that I couldn’t call you to let you know that coach asked us to stay back kasi I’ve left my phone on the boys’ locker. Please naman wa’g ka na magtampo?” He held his arms loosely around her body and looked at her. He was nervous that she didn’t budge and just stared at him with a questioning glare.

Kim: How could you find time to call me when you were too busy entertaining all those bimbos flirting with you.

Gerald: Huh? Where did that came from? After all this time that we’ve been together, ngayon ka pa naniniwala sa mga gossip? Ask anyone in the team babe pati na si coach, wala talaga akong pinapansin na mga girls. There were the usual ones that screamed and kept calling me and I smiled at them para naman hindi nila masabing snob ako pero yun lang, promise. They tried to talk to me when I was on my way to the boys’ locker pero I quickly excused myself to get away from them.

Kim: Yeah right.

Gerald: Babe, I know na alam mong nagsasabi ako ng totoo. What’s gotten into you sweety? May problema ba? (He hugged her tight and whispered.) Talk to me baby, you know I’m here for you.

Kim didn’t say a word. She wanted to stay mad at him even for no reason at all but she hated that she couldn’t. She hated that she couldn’t resist him. All she wanted to do was hug him back and tell him every bad thing that happened that day. She didn’t get to see him all day since she was one of the competitors for the Math Quiz. They sat down by the pool and he held her in his arms as he listened to her. Kim loved how he tried to sympathize with her and made her feel better by the way he squeezed her hand and her face. It didn’t take long before he managed to make her laugh and had one of their ‘kulitan’ sessions.

Kim: You know what babe, something good actually came despite all the bad lucks I got today.

Gerald: Hmm let me guess. Getting to hug and kiss me?

Kim: Well, that too pero there’s also something else na exciting. Babe, I got accepted as an exchange student in France!

Kim was puzzled at Gerald’s reaction. She expected him to jump up and down with her but instead, he went quiet. He looked shocked but not in a joyful way. “Babe it’s good news diba? I didn’t expect this kasi I’ve given up on it a few months ago thinking I must have failed the scholarship test. Pero I got a letter from them tonight telling me to start packing.”

Gerald: You are leaving? For how long?

Kim: Babe hindi naman matagal eh, December to end of February lang. Three months lang. It’s a great opportunity.

Gerald: So aalis ka na next month? Why didn’t you mention this earlier?

Kim: As I’ve said I didn’t expect to get it. I took the test last year so I didn’t really think about it anymore. Teka, why don’t you look happy for me?

Gerald: Eh kasi you’re going to France and it’s so soon. I am also aware how sleazy those French guys are. You’ll be in the city of love with those sleazy French guys who think they are sooo romantic. How can I be happy?

Kim: Have you been to France or know any French guys?

Gerald: No, but it is common knowledge diba? I’ve heard and read about them.

Kim: Eh hindi mo naman pala sila kilala tapos ganyan ka na. Ang cute naman ng baby ko, ni hindi pa nga ako nakapag pack-up nagseselos na.

Gerald: Hindi no, I’m just concern about my girlfriend na mapapaligiran ka ng sleaze bags and damn it being European they are not so bad-looking either.

Kim: Oyy, ang baby ko nagseselos. (She hugged him from behind and kissed his cheeks.)

Gerald: Fine I admit, maybe a little. Eh sino ba namang boyfriend ang magiging ok with this. My girl is staying at a romantic place with good-looking European guys wooing her, it will be hard for me to sleep at night. (He turned around to face her.) I take it you are going?

Kim: Of course! Who on their right minds would refuse a chance to go overseas, learn the language, the culture and sight seeing in Paris!

Gerald: I’m so sorry babe, but I need some time to think, to let this sink in. (He bade her goodnight, gently kissed her cheek and walked out.)

Kim didn’t know how to take Gerald’s reaction so she asked Mel to come over.

Mel: He’ll get over it, don’t worry. Just give him some time, shocked lang yun.

Kim: Bwesit talaga tong araw na to. This morning, some guy from one of our rival teams spilled coffee on my shirt. Then another guy walked in while I was on my bra trying to wash the stain off my shirt. The same ert by the way who also grabbed my when I was on my way to the stage. Oh let’s not forget about my embarrassing act of clumsiness up on that stage for everyone’s pleasure! I thought the series of bad lucks stopped after Anika and Enchong’s team beat us but it only got worse. Now Gerald’s mad at me! What next?!

Mel: He’s not mad at you. Alam mo naman yang mga partners natin mas madrama pa kesa sa atin. I’m sure by tomorrow ok na yun. When you open your eyes, his gorgeous smile will be the first thing you’ll see congratulating you for your success.

Kim: I hope so. It’s amazing how quickly things turn around. Ako naman dapat ang may tampo sa kanya tonight kasi nga late sya tapos the night ended with him walking out. Diba he should be happy for me? Instead he’s mad because he’s jealous of the guys. Firstly ang selfish nya. He only thinks about himself. He never even considered what this could do for me, for my career. Secondly, I thought he had learnt to trust me. Why is he so insecure? Doesn’t he realize how much I really love him? So what kung maraming gwapo sa Europe? Ang shallow naman. Hindi naman ako ganun that I’ll just go for one hottie after another tapos may mukha pa akong iharap sa kanya, diba?

Mel: Friend, we have gone through a whole tub of ice cream pero ang init pa rin ng ulo mo.

Kim: I understand now kung bakit palaging sinasabi ni Mama Layla na sagabal lang yang boyfriends sa studies and career.

Mel: Naku that can’t be good. Mama Layla’s famous words are finally starting to sink in to your head? That’s not a good sign. Here, let’s pig out on this box of Ferrero Rocher. Pati ako na-stress na rin sa’yo nakakatakot na yang mga pinagsasabi mo ha.

Kim grabbed the box and started going for the chocolates. “I guess I can understand why he’s not so excited about my trip. When he went to the US for a few weeks, na-sad din ako.”

Mel: Remember nung hindi mo sya ma-contact for hours kung ano ano nang iniisip mo. Lahat na lang ng Americans or anyone with blond hair kina-iinisan mo. I remembered pati pictures ni Jessica Alba sa magazine minura mo. All because she lives in the US and she dyed her hair blonde! You can just imagine all the thoughts going through his head right now.

Kim: Naku nagmura nga yun agad sa lahat ng French guys. Kung makalait akala mo may mga kilala sya wala naman pala. Maybe I should cut him some slack.

Mel: That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you for the last 3 hours! Finally about time you get it. Chocolates lang pala ang kailangan para finally papatulugin mo na ako.

Kim: Hoy Melissa! When you and Matt needed couples therapy, who stayed up with you watching and the City DVDs all night? Who wore black outfits kahit sa church para damayan ka sa depression state mo? Kaya tonight you are staying up, pigging out with me.

Mel: Manumbat ba. Sige na nga dahil I’m a good bestfriend, samahan kitang murahin lahat ng nag-contribute sa bad hair day mo.