Chapter 22

You're Still The One

Gerald and Kim continued to argue and annoy each other every chance they get. Kim was actually starting to enjoy pestering Gerald. It made her feel as if they were still friends. She was on her way to the cafeteria when she suddenly bumped into Gerald. “Sorry Kim, my mind was in another world. Here let me help you up. Are you okay?” “Yeah, sorry din.”

Everytime she tried to get herself to have a serious conversation with Gerald, she just froze. (“Why can’t I talk to him? I get so nervous as if I’m about to go on trial whenever I’m near him.”)

Gerald: Kim? Are you sure you’re okay? Parang wala ka sa sarili. Ni hindi mo man lang ako inaway, I bumped into you. You must have a serious problem, am I right?

Kim: Huh?!

Gerald: (Felt her forehead) Are you sick? Oh my god! Maybe you have a concussion, did you hit your head when I bumped into you?

Kim: No! I mean, I’m okay. Sorry gotta go.

Gerald: Kim, wait.

Kim: Yes?

Gerald: Uhm, okay. I have a confession to make. I bumped into you on purpose because the truth is, I wanted to find a way to talk to you.

Kim: Gerald, kung naghahanap ka ng away, not right now please. I give up, ako ang loser today, wala ako sa mood patulan ka.

Gerald: I actually just wanted to know if you have anything planned tomorrow for Valentines Day?

Kim: Actually, I have a flight for Bagiuo tonight. It’s so rare kasi that I get to spend time with my mom so I’m making the most of the opportunity. I’ll be there for three days.

Gerald was devastated to hear her response. He had carefully planned a romantic night for the two of them. He even memorized everything that he wanted to say. He wanted everything to be perfect. He had gone through so much trouble to organize everything to sweep her off her feet. The truth is, Kim really didn’t want to be around during the day for ‘lovers’ kaya she agreed to meet up with her mom. She wouldn’t know how to face Gerald if he has something planned. Worst of all, she didn’t want to be there if Gerald does nothing but annoy or worse, just ignore her. If he is trying to get over her, she wasn’t ready to find out. She’s been wanting to talk to him, to let him know how much she misses him. But everytime an opportunity comes up, she couldn’t get herself to make that confession.

Gerald: What about the Valentines program? You’re one of the main performers diba?

Kim: Excused ako, I’ve arranged everything with Mr. Rivera.

Gerald: Shaina didn’t say anything about you going on a trip.

Kim: Gerald, why do you care? It’s only Valentines Day, one day that has no importance for me whatsoever. Wala naman akong boyfriend to make such a big deal of the day.

Gerald: Nothing, I was just looking forward to seeing you perform. (walked away, feeling as if he had just lost, big time).

“Why do I get the feeling that I made a wrong decision? Should I stay and tell him on the day how much he really means to me? Has he got something planned for us? What if he just wants me to know that he’s finally over me? Besides, my ticket is non-refundable.”, Kim said to herself.

Matteo: There is still time to change your mind you know.

Kim: Holy crap! Matt you scared me half to death!

Matteo: Sorry. Did you reject his apologies again? He seemed excited earlier and all it took was one quick talk with you to turn his world all dark and gloomy again. What did you do this time?

Kim: Nothing! Hey, why am I the villain here? I thought you were on my side, what kind of friend are you?

Matteo: Oo na, I’ll stick with you kahit stubborn ka.

**********************************************************

Friday morning and Kim decided to go to school despite having permission to be away for the rest of the week. She desperately wanted to have a word with Gerald. She was bothered by the fact that he was upset about her not being around for Valentines Day. She had a feeling that maybe, he made plans for the two of them. She had been secretly hoping for a romantic date with him on the day but afraid at the same time that it wouldn’t happen.

Gerald was quite the whole day. She tried to catch his attention, even charmingly smiled at him when she caught him staring but he just turned away. He didn’t have the same sad look on his face like he did back in December. He just seemed indifferent towards her which brought her even more confusion. She drove home feeling a little down, yet not really understanding why. She was frustrated that Gerald could still have that effect on her. He could still break her heart into a million pieces just by looking uninterested. At the same time, he was also breaking her heart whenever he looks, smiles and whispers sweet nothings when they are trying to irritate each other. He was breaking her heart because she was deeply in love with him and yet, he is not within reach.

Kim’s mom: Hi sweetheart. Where have you been? I thought you would be home before 6.

Kim: Hey mom. Sorry, I just wanted to clear my thoughts so I went for a drive.

Mom: Oh. By the way, I didn’t know that you’ve been keeping a secret from me about a certain hottie?

Kim: Mom, what are you on about? If this is about Matt again, we really are just friends.

Mom: No, this is about Gerald.

Kim: Who told you about him? Binuking ba ako ni Matt?

Mom: Is he your boyfriend? You better say yes kasi ang cute nya. I wouldn’t think that you of all people can resist his good looks.

Kim: Okay, he’s hot. Almost naging kami but unfortunately things didn’t work out. Wait, how do you know what he looks like? Have you been going through my things? Ma, remember privacy is something we value in this house?

Mom: Gerald, I think you better come out before I get a whole night’s lecture here about privacy. (laughed)

Gerald came out holding a dozen roses.

Gerald: Hi Kim.

Kim: What is going on? Gerald, what are you doing here?

Mom: I saw him outside waiting for you so I let him in. Kimmy, Gerald’s a great guy. Give him a chance.

Kim: Ma, pati ba naman ikaw nadala sa pagpapa-cute nyan?!

Mom: I’ll leave you two so you can have a moment alone. Kimmy you better talk to him or else I’ll lock you two in your room until you work things out.
(whispered to Gerald) You know Gerald, my daughter is the most stubborn person you’ll ever meet. Once na masabi nya na she doesn’t want you, paninindigan nya talaga yan even if the truth is she can’t live without you. Suyuin mo lang mawala na ang tampo nyan.

Gerald: Thanks tita. (turned to face Kim and handed her the flowers) Sorry I couldn’t get lilies.

Kim: They’re beautiful. (Closed her eyes and smelled the roses. “God, I miss him. He looks tired pero ang gwapo pa rin nya”.)

Gerald: You’re beautiful. Uhm…how was your trip? (“Stupid, stupid, stupid! There’s so much I want to say to you Kim pero I don’t know how to start. Should I start by telling her that I heard her say she loves me too? Should I start with ‘I love you’?”)

Kim: Ok naman. How are you?

Gerald: My parents are here for a visit so masaya sana pero I couldn’t stop crying. All my life I’ve never cried over a girl. I never knew it could hurt this bad. Since things went bad between us, everyday has been such a miserable day. You have accomplished your revenge and more. You couldn’t hurt me anymore than I’m hurting now, not being with you Kim. I know I can’t blame anyone but myself.

Kim: Sorry to hear that. You still mean a lot to me Ge, pero it will take some time to get over the pain.

Gerald: I know I need to give you time. (Walked a step closer and reached for her face) I know there’s still hope for us, we can work things out. I’ll never give up unless you can look me in the eyes and tell me that you have no feelings for me and you want me out of your life.

Kim: I thought I remembered asking you to stay out of my life?

Gerald: (held her hands and gazed into her eyes) Look at me in the eyes now and tell me that you really want me completely gone and I promise, I’ll disappear out of your life. I’ll leave for US as soon as possible, just say the words.

Kim: Gerald, wa’g ka naman ganyan. (“Please naman Gerald, don’t leave. How am I supposed to respond? I love him but I don’t know if I really want him back as a lover.”)

Gerald: What do you mean? Do you have feelings for me or not?

Kim: I guess what I want to say is…uhm…I don’t want to let you go. I feel so incomplete without you.

Gerald couldn’t help but smile. He could feel the excitement through his veins, rushing to his pounding heart. He is more in love with her than ever before. Something about the way she said those words that brought shivers down his spine.
He held her tight.

Gerald: I love you so much Kim. I’m really sorry to have hurt you Kim. I miss you. I’ve been missing you so bad that everyday without you has been torture for me. I don’t ever want you to let me go.

Kim was struggling trying to keep herself from losing control and blurt out her true feelings for Gerald. His touches are making her weak in the knees. His embrace felt so warm, protective. She wanted to tell him so bad that she needs him in her life.

Kim: I miss you too Ge. I miss us. The way we were. I want us to be friends again but I know our friendship will never be the same as before. If we want to be close again, we can never be just friends.

Gerald: I know what you mean. We can’t deny our feelings. I can’t just pretend to be your friend when every minute of the day, I want to be kissing you and holding you. To be honest, hindi ko makaya maging friends lang with you.

Kim: What do you mean, we? Speak for yourself! Oi, wala akong sinabi na in love ako sayo huh. I never said that I want to kiss you.

Gerald: Hindi ba? Sabi kasi nila you’re in love daw.

Kim: Huh? Ah eh, alam mo naman classmates natin, they like to tease us. Why don’t we try being friends? See how we go?

Gerald: Well I guess that’s a start. Then we can take it from there. So I’m forgiven?

Kim: You’re forgiven. Pasalamat ka special ka sa akin kaya hindi kita matiis. I do want to apologize too. I’m sorry for being so mean to you, I know I’ve hurt you. I realized now that what happened really isn’t as bad as it seemed at that time. All I could think of was you being true to your player self. Everyone that was there told me that you were turning her down but I didn’t want to listen unless the person was telling me bad things about you. I was being so immature, sorry Ge.

Gerald: You don’t need to apologize Kim, you were just trying to get back at me for hurting you. I promise, I’ll do everything I can so that from now on, the only tears you’ll cry will be tears of joy.

Kim: Did you really said that you dumped me so you can be with Anika? With other girls?

Gerald: What?! Who told you that? You couldn't possibly believe that! You know I would never say anything like that. I wouldn’t even say that about other girls that I have dated. Why would I say that about the one person I truly care and love?

Kim: Don’t worry, I’m starting to doubt just how reliable Enchong’s sources are. Promise Ge, I’ll listen to you first before ako magpapadala sa iba.
Hey! Don’t just stare at me like that, say something naman oh. Kinakabahan ako sa mga titig mo.

Gerald wrapped his arms around her. “I don’t ever want to be apart from you again. I love you Kim. I’ll never get tired of saying those words.” Gerald held her tighter. He caressed her cheeks, still not letting go of her gaze. Kim wanted to get out of his arms but she couldn’t resist looking into his eyes. She was lost. Then suddenly she felt his soft lips gently kissing hers. She wanted to protest and push him away but she found herself responding to his lips. She put all her suppressed feelings into the kiss and Gerald felt how much he really means to her. He loved the feel of her fingers running through his hair.

Kim: Gerald wait. We shouldn’t be doing this.

Gerald: I’m so sorry Kim.

Kim: Sorry too. (“Naku how are we going to do this? I can’t look him in the eyes or else madadala na naman ako sa nararamdaman ko.”) You can’t just go around kissing people! In some parts of the country, that’s considered harassment you know.

Gerald: We are going halves on that harassment case then. You kissed me back.

Kim: Kapal mo talaga. You kissed me first!

Gerald: We’re both guilty as charged. I know you enjoyed it too. (mischievous smile and winked) Wanna do it again?

Kim: (blushed) Ge!

Gerald: (showing his sweetest smile) Kimmy!

Kim hit’s him playfully.

They started tickling each other until Kim ended up trapped in Gerald’s arms. He held her hands and locked her in a tight hug. “You’re my prisoner now and you have no choice but to be stuck with me forever.”

Kim: Bahala ka! Can you handle being stuck with me for that long?

Gerald: Forever and gazillion lifetimes more. Come with me outside.

Kim: What for? Itatanan mo ako?

Gerald: I don’t think I have to do that. Boto naman mommy mo sa akin eh. Hehe.. I prepared a little something for you by the pool.

Gerald walked her to the poolside where a little picnic was set-up. The picnic blanket was surrounded with flowers. Kim’s backyard has always looked enchanting with a beautiful pool, mini waterfalls and dramatic lights. She was even more in awe at how much more romantic the place can get when Gerald lit up the candles.

Kim: Wow! I’m impressed! When did you have time to do all these?

Gerald: Hope you like the dinner. Pinaghirapan ko yan, ako talaga nagluto nyan. I went home early this afternoon. When I got here and wala ka pa, I asked your mom if ok lang mag-set up ng picnic dito. She even helped.

Kim: Eh what if I didn’t forgive you and pinalayas kita?

Gerald: The thought never even crossed my mind. Alam ko naman hindi mo ako matiis eh, mahal mo kaya ako.

Kim: Nag-ilusyon ka na naman, I said you’re special to me but I haven’t told you that I’m in love with you.

Gerald: Parehas na rin yon.

Gerald sat behind Kim and wrapped his arms around her waist. “Gerald, kanina ka pa hug ng hug ah. How are we gonna get to eat kung naka-hug ka lang dyan?”

Gerald: Ikaw kasi eh, iniwan mo ako. Ayan tuloy na-phobia na ako, hindi na talaga kita kayang pakawalan. I want to just keep you in my arms all the time. Bakit ayaw mo? (started to loosen his grip)

Kim quickly held on to his arms and leaned back on his shoulders.

Kim: I love how you hold me. Let’s just share a plate. Just stay there.