Chapter 51

You're Still The One

It was almost lunchtime but Gerald still had not said a word to Kim despite being seated next to each other in class. She couldn’t decide whether to make the first move and woo him or keep waiting. She opted to ‘accidentally’ dropping her pen during class and just as she thought, being a gentleman that he is, Gerald picked it up. She was missing him so much that she held his hand and gently squeezed it while looking into his eyes before taking her pen. She had been trying to do little things like brushing her knees against his as she was longing for his touch, his nearness. He froze when he felt her touch. The feel of her skin made him miss her even more. He wanted to pull her into a tight embrace right there and then. Towards the end of class, Kim’s heartbeat sped up as she read Gerald’s note that says, “Can we talk?” She could feel his eyes staring right at her and she could no longer concentrate on whatever important pointers the teacher was telling them about the upcoming exam. Luckily the bell rang soon after and she could finally have a chance to patch things up with Gerald.

Gerald stopped the car when they got to a nearby beach. He was planning on playing hard to get at first but any earlier plans went out the window the minute he looked into her eyes. Before his brains could stop them, his arms were already clinging on tightly around her waist. Gerald pulled her into a tight hug like he’s been dying to do all day. She also wrapped her arms around him tight.

Gerald: I’m sorry babe.

Kim: Me too. Na-miss talaga kita.

Gerald: I’m really sorry baby for being so selfish. I should be supportive but instead I let jealousy take control. I am proud of your achievements babe. I know how much this scholarship means to you. I wasn’t thinking straight. The first thing that came to my mind was you in the city of love then add French guys in the picture, yun nagselos na ako kaagad. I didn’t even stop to think about what this trip can do for you, for your growth, maturity and your career. Sorry talaga babe ha.

Kim: Don’t be baby. I understand naman your reaction. Ganun din ako when you went to US, I couldn’t help but wonder what you were up to. You were so far away and you could play and cheat if you wanted to and I wouldn’t even find out about it. I know it’s hard not to suspect things lalo na if we’re miles away pero babe, you have to have faith in me. I love you so much and I wouldn’t do anything to hurt you.

Gerald: We still have to work on our trust issue. I thought about this the whole weekend and I know that you are the type of girl that can be trusted. That’s one of the reasons why I fell in love with you. Hindi ka malandi like so many other girls na makakita lang ng gwapo nagiging desperate na agad. I know you love me like the way I love you babe so I realized now na hindi mo magawang magka-interest sa iba. So I’m okay na with you going overseas. Sorry sa pagtatampo ko ha.

Kim: It’s okay babe. I’m so glad na okay na tayo kasi I can finally share my excitement with you.

Gerald: I’m glad too kasi ang hirap ng feeling na hindi ka nakakausap, I couldn’t hug you, kiss you or even hold your hand. Ang hirap magpigil, mas lalo akong tempted na mahawakan ka. Having you near but out of reach made me miss you even more and it was killing me.

Kim: Kaya nga kanina pa ako dito hindi makahinga sa higpit ng hug mo.

Gerald held her face and kissed her. “Kanina pa talaga akong nanggigigil sayo babe. You have no idea how hard it was for me to concentrate in class today!”

Kim could only laugh at his adorable little comments. “Ikaw kasi ang drama mo at pina-iral mo pa ang pride mo.”

Gerald: You know, we have a lot of catching up to do. (He winked then picked her up and spun her around.)

Kim: Hoy mister, tigilan mo yang mga masasamang balak mo ha. We are in a public beach so wipe that sly grin off your face because it will not get you anywhere.

Gerald: Babe wala namang tao dito eh.

“Bahala ka dyan. I want to preserve what’s left of my dignity.” Kim giggled as she started running away from Gerald. He was too fast for her though and it didn’t take him long to catch her. His arms were wrapped securely around her waist as they both fell on the sand. Gerald was smiling as he got her trapped right underneath him. Their moods suddenly turned serious as they stared at each other. Gerald brushed a few strands of her hair off her face and slowly pressed his lips against hers. They stayed that way for a while until they realised that they were late for class and that they had completely forgotten about lunch!