Chapter 20

You're Still The One

Kim’s mom: Kimmy sweety, I know we just got back yesterday and you’re still probably jet-lagged but I would really love it if you could come to the Sunday lunch gathering.

Kim: Ok mom but I won’t stay long, I still gotta get ready for school tomorrow.

~ At Sunday lunch ~

Matteo: Kim, you’re back!

Kim: Hi Matt! Just got back yesterday actually. I just talked to your mom. Nagpapay ah, parang bagets! He. He. He.

Matteo: Mid-crisis, I guess. Ganun pa rin sya, still constantly reminding me how much she likes you for me. She adores you.

Kim: My mom too. Excited nga yun thinking na magkita tayo. By the way, how come you’re here? I haven’t seen you in these gatherings since –

Matteo: Since we stopped talking, I know. I didn’t expect you to be here, I thought you were still in Sydney.

Kim: Oh geez, sorry to disappoint na nakita mong pagmumukha ko.

Matteo: No it’s not that. You know what these gatherings are like. Pilit tayong i-pair up. Syempre it’s awkward diba especially when I was feeling so down and heartbroken.

Kim’s mom: Matteo sweetheart! How have you been? Kimmy, he’s looking more and more handsome huh! (wink)

Kim: Mom!

Mom: Okay, okay. I’ll leave you two lovebirds alone.

Matt’s mom: I’m glad those two are in good terms again. There’s hope yet na maging in-laws tayo.

Kim: Sorry Matt ha.

Matteo: It’s ok pareho naman mga moms natin eh. By the way, I saw Gerald in church last Sunday. We actually ended up having a long conversation about you. I feel sorry for him Kim, he’s not in good shape. We’re not close and I use to hate his guts but mabait naman pala sya. I know what he’s going through. Talagang hurt sya way more than I ever was.

Kim: Let’s not talk here, daming tao. Remember our secret place?

Matteo: Like I’d ever forget! Do you still go there?

Kim: Yes, from time to time.

Matteo: Let’s go then.

*********************************************************

Gerald was having some time alone in the ‘secret place’ when he heard a car pull up. He quickly looked for a hiding spot. “Is that Kim with Matteo? She’s back?! Wow, she looks gorgeous. Wait, what are they doing together? I thought this a secret, special place for the two of us? Bakit nya dinala dito si Matt? This has got to be my worst nightmare. Do I really want to watch the love of my life getting it on with another man? I’m stuck here unless I want them to see me walk out. Pero if I stay here, I can make sure na walang mangyayari sa kanila."

Matteo: I forgot how beautiful the view is from here. I’m glad one of us still got to use this place.

Kim: Uhmmm, I actually have a confession to make, please don’t be mad ok? I told Gerald about this place. We’ve actually spent some time here back when we were close.

Matteo: It’s okay, this place is yours too. We both discovered it diba? I never come here anyways, too many memories. Speaking of Gerald, what’s going on with you two?

Kim: All I know is I’m still mad at him. I admit I do feel bad to see him so sad. I guess I still have a soft spot for that jerk. I can’t just fall out of love overnight, but I hope I’ll eventually get over him.

“Did i hear her right? Did she just say ‘fall out of love'? That means she actually loves me!” Gerald’s face suddenly lit up. He wanted to rush over to her but managed to contain himself.

Matteo: Wow, you really fell in love with him?

Kim: What? I didn’t say that, did I?

Matteo: I don’t think he’s as bad as Enchong portrays him as. I think he really loves you and he’s genuine. I think he’s been telling you the truth na he only wants you and you’re his life.

“Matteo, you’re my angel, pare. I love you man.” Gerald continued to eavesdrop.

Kim: How do you know?

Matteo: I know because I’ve been there before. I’ve been in love with you. The way he looks at you and talks about you, ganun din ako noon. Mas malala lang sya konti. I can see it in his eyes how much he’s hurting. He wouldn’t be that desperate if you meant nothing to him. I’m sure you know what I mean naman, you’re hurting just as much.

Kim: Me? Why would you say that?

Matteo: Come on, I’ve seen you glance at him from time to time. You have that look that you just want to rush to him at miss mo na talaga sya.

Kim: Am I that obvious? Has everyone in the class noticed?

“How did Matteo notice these things and I didn’t? Tanga ko. Kimmy, you don’t know how happy you’ve made me tonight!” Gerald is starting to really enjoy listening to their conversation.

Matteo: I don’t think so. So, na-miss mo talaga sya?

Kim: I know I shouldn’t but I can’t help but miss Gerald and think about him everyday. I’ve tried everything to distract myself pero I still can’t get him out of my mind and my heart. I miss how much fun he is to have around and I especially miss his hugs. Ewan ko nga why he has that effect on me. Out of all people, sa playboy pa talaga ako na-in love!

Matteo: So you admit na you really love Gerald?

Kim: Ooops. Did I say that out loud? Promise Matt ha, this is just between you and me. Not even Mel knows but yeah, I really love him kahit na I shouldn’t. I tried so hard but I couldn’t stop my heart. That’s why now, I’m hurting so much cause I don’t know how to stop this.

“Woohoo! She loves me!!! She’s in love with me!” Gerald almost jumped out of his hiding place.

Matteo: Maybe you shouldn’t stop this. You both love each other. Maybe you should give him another chance.

Kim: Pero what if he’s just playing me?

Matteo: If he stuffs it up again then it’s his loss and he really doesn’t deserve you. The embarrassment is not on you naman, he will be the bad guy, not you.

Kim: He may be the bad guy but ako naman ang tatawagin nilang tanga.

Matteo: Ewan ko sa inyo. Pareho kayong pinapahirapan ang mga sarili ninyo!