Is this sympathy, pity, or care?

My Gangster Roommate

Eunmi returned to the table once again, when the kingkas called for her again.

"Changmin sshi, you want to replenish your order for the 5th time?" she asked politely, trying not to roll her eyes.

Changmin pouted. "I want to. But hyungs won't let me."

Eunmi bit back a smile. "Then what can I do for you?"

"Sit down. Talk to us." Jonghyun smiled invitingly and brought a chair between him Key. He winked at Key and mouthed, "Thank me later."

Key blushed but didn't want to avert his attention away from Eunmi.

"But I'm working." Eunmi stated bluntly.

"We talked to Seunggi hyung already." Jonghyun lied. "Come on, sit down and talk to us!"

Eunmi had no choice but to sit down with them. *Damn it. Being a waitress and controlling myself from hollering from them is seriously taking all my patience..*

Unfortunately, the seat between Key and Jonghyun was directly opposite Jaejoong's. Jaejoong shot her evil looks when she sat down, which was unfortunately caught by Yunho.

"Jaejoong! Why do you look so angry!" Yunho asked.

"Huh?" Jaejoong flustered. "Err. I was pissed that Changmin and Onew ate so much of the chicken just now, I didn't have enough."

Minho whacked both Changmin's and Onew's head. "Yah! Look at what your greediness brought you!"

"Yah! We're your hyungs!" Changmin and Onew chorused, both of them massaging their heads.

Eunmi smiled slightly at their foolishness. Key gazed at her every minute expression as if she were a piece of art that might disappear any moment.

"So.. where are you staying Eunmi sshi?" Yoochun asked. "When your work ends, Key can send you home."

Key blushed again, but he agreed. "Yeah I can send you home. It isn't safe for you to go home yourself."

Jaejoong almost gasped out loud and shot warning looks to Eunmi.

"Its okay." Eunmi smiled. "My roommate doesn't like it if other people send me home. He's seriously a weird person with weird habits so just don't mind him."

Jaejoong fumed, and glared holes into Eunmi's head.

"He?" Key asked, worried. "You're staying with a guy only? Is it even safe? Will he do anything to you?"

"Of course not!" Jaejoong blurted. Everyone turned to look at him.

"The world is evil Jaejoong, you never know." Junsu warned.

"No it isn't that!" Jaejoong racked his brains. "Errr, its just that, Key will take care of Eunmi such that he won't let anything happen to her, right?"

Key smiled gently and took Eunmi's hands in his. "Right."

Eunmi pulled her hands out awkwardly and placed them back on her thigh.

"Do you work her the whole day Eunmi sshi?" Junsu asked suddenly. "Don't you go to school?"

*Oh no.* Jaejoong gulped and observed Eunmi's face for any trace of embarassment or awkwardness.

Eunmi laughed lightly. "I have never gone to school before."

The table went silent.

"Hey. Its nothing. I don't need to go to school to survive." Eunmi smiled. "Don't pity me."

"Why didn't you go to school noona?" Taemin asked, tears almost bursting from his teary eyes.

"My family never had the money. Many things happened when I was young, and they stopped me from having an education." Eunmi explained. "But its not a big deal really."

"But you should have gone no matter what. What were your parents thinking?" Yunho mumbled.

"My mother loved me a lot. So even if she didn't send me to school, it doesn't matter because she tried her hardest to feed me already." Eunmi sighed, her eyes darkened, deep in her thoughts.

Key felt a gush of emotions run through him. "We can send you to school now you know."

Eunmi laughed. "Now? Its too late Key. It doesn't matter. And I don't need your sympathy."

Key took Eunmi's hands in his and stared into her eyes. "It isn't sympathy. I want to do that because I care."

Jaejoong's eyes nearly popped out of their sockets at his dongsaeng's cheesy lines.

Eunmi her lips nervously and pulled her hands away again.

"Seriously Key." she smiled. "Its okay."

Key felt her tiny but rough hands slip from his, and felt the emptiness from his hands spread throughout his body.