24

You Belong To Me

 

“Eloise!”

JaeJoong bend down to his daughter and wipes her sweat while Kris is putting his arm around HyeRan neck.

Her grips on YeRin turn harder when she saw YunHo is turning away. She will be chasing him if Kris is not putting his arm around her.

“Yun-”

But he didn’t hear her. What he saw just now is already proved that Ri In already has someone else. And the little girl that she held just now is her daughter. She already moved on.

He is the stupid one who keeps thinking she is still waiting for him.

Fed up, he slammed his car door and speeds through the night, couldn’t wait to arrive his house and take a long sleep, pretend that everything he saw just now is a nightmare. He couldn’t bear the heartbreak anymore.

 

 

 

“Good morning Angeline. Got any message for me?” she smiles when she saw her boss enter the office while holding her iPad mini.

“Miss Wang, there’s an email from Jung Construction. They need you to respond them ASAP.” JiHye nodded and after saying a simple ‘thanks’, she enter her room. Once reached, she switches on her laptop to read the email from Korea.

She opened it and immediately giggled. “SeungHyun sshi, why are you so funny?” she continues to laughed. She laughed because the email only contains 4 sentences.

“JiHye and Ri In sshi, can you come to Seoul on 23rd and maybe you need to spend maximum 1 week. Please tell me as early as you can so I can make any reservations. Don’t worry; all expenses are on Jung Constructions. Thanks. ”

Yup, he only wrote that. JiHye check herself out on the mirror and not until 1 minute, she click the Skype button on her desktop and click on Ri In name.

“Yess…?”

Hearing Ri In voice makes JiHye smile even wider if that possible. “Ri Innie. It’s me.” The blank screen on her monitor soon light up with Ri In and JunSu face. “Hi JiHye!” both wave to her.

She waved back. “I just got an email from SeungHyun sshi and he wants us to be at Seoul on 24th. if that possible with you?”

Ri In checks out the date on her phone screen and smiles, “Sure. Today its 22nd and I’m sure I will still be around here on that day.” “Alright, I will confirm with him that date. Oh yeah, does that mean I need to bring some files to Seoul?”

“Oh yeah! Just enter the passcode and my work room is at the end of the hallway. You know what files that I need right?” JiHye nodded, “the grey one right? That’s the only one? Need anything else?”

“Nope. Just bring yourself many nice clothes and safely arrive here. I will be picking you at the airport.” They both send virtual kisses and JiHye end the conversation. She quickly types the email to reply SeungHyun’s email earlier.

 

 

 

Once YunHo drive away, Kris and JaeJoong immediately saw the difference in HyeRan’s behavior. All JaeJoong and Kris idea to spend more time at the park was rejected bluntly by HyeRan. She just wants to go to her room. She doesn’t want to meet anyone now, including them both.

“Eloise…” JaeJoong grabs her arm, “What happen? Why you suddenly become quiet after you saw that person?” Kris who is playing with YeRin suddenly stop and stand up, facing her.

She tries to yank herself out from JaeJoong grip but of course, JaeJoong is stronger than her. “Just tell me. What’s wrong with it? Why are you being secretive?”

She shook her head, “I want to go back to the hotel. Please.” She is on verge of tears and Kris let go JaeJoong grip, “save it. She doesn’t want to tell us. We better get back to hotel. YeRin is also tired.” JaeJoong take one last look at HyeRan, he swiftly picks YeRin up and walked away.

Kris put his hand on both HyeRan shoulder. “It’s him right? Jung YunHo?” at first, HyeRan doesn’t want to admit, she keeps on denying but Kris knows it better. He was there when YunHo bought a coffee at his Starbucks. “That day, he was there right? I know you hide it from me. By the looks from your eyes Eloise, I know it it’s him. The man that you love since you are 14 until now. Then why are you not chase him just now?”

She shook her head again, “you don’t understand Kris. He’s married.” He turns around and leads them both to sit on one of the benches there. “He’s married with my best friend.”

He sighed, “I never thought things will be this complicated. Then why are you still putting your hope on him? If he already married, why are you still waiting for him?”

She starts to have teary eyes.

“You shut yourself from Love and you think in the end you will win his heart?” she wipes the tears that already falls and wet her cheek. Each word that came out from his mouth is like knife that keep stabbing her fragile heart. She knew he was right.

“I want to ask you something.” He saw she nodded her head. “Is he… is he playing with your heart before?”

HyeRan immediately shook her head and a tear falls on her cheek. Kris wipes it away using his thumb. “Either that answer is to cover him up or you are too dumb to realize that.” HyeRan playfully smacks his arms. “Our love story is kinda complicated.” She breathes out. “We like each other. Really like each other.” HyeRan then plays with her fingers. “But that day, I lost my parent and my memories too. He left GwangJu and after 14 years, I met him. We fall in love once again, until I knew, his parent planned to let him and my best friend gets married. So I left.”

To bring up her painful memories is the last thing she wants to do. However, Kris has the right to know. He keeps on staying by her side no matter how her attitudes are. She turns to Kris, “and after I left, it seems like I can’t bring myself to fall in love again. All I want is him Kris. We have been separated for almost 20 years. And that period end when he gets married with my best friend. Recently, I got an email from her, telling she is pregnant and -” she holds her breath, “YunHo is in New York at that time. That’s when you saw him.”

“I don’t get it, if he really loves you then why he agrees to his parent request?”

“He wants to rebel at first. But it’s me who hold him up. He’s the only son Kris. Imagine what will happen to his parent if he runs away with me. Leave everything he had in here. I don’t want because of me, everyone suffers.”

“But you willing to face all the trouble alone?” he saw her nodded her head. “What are you? Superwoman? I don’t get it. Why you don’t want to share all your troubles? We are your friends Eloise, you must remember that.”

She saw how tensed Kris face is. She stands up and held out her hand, “I know I got you. let’s go.” He looks at her hand and capture HyeRan hand.

What are you hiding from me? Why you can’t tell me why you being so secretive..

 

 

 

YunHo slammed his room door and threw himself on the bed. The image of HyeRan standing in front of him still couldn’t get out from his mind. He tries to digest what happened at the scene. It seems like HyeRan is shocked to see him there and that little girl….. She looks like she is 5 to 6 years old and it has been few years since HyeRan left Korea. She is not HyeRan daughter right? He then stands up, “I don’t think she is married.”

Then he remembers that pretty boy beside her, “that man..” he bites his lower lip, “I don’t like him.”

 

 

Next morning, 5 of them are getting ready to spend the entire day at the hospital. The trip to the hospital really open up HyeRan old memories box that she thought she already throw it away long time ago. Everything that she does will connect her to the old Park HyeRan. How she always drove her old car, how YooChun always pick her up after work, the café where she met YunHo for the first time after many many years and lastly, the memory where she confessed to YunHo that she indeed loves him.

“Okay sir, here we are.” JaeJoong paid the driver and help YeRin to get off the taxi. HyeRan silently look at him. Since last night, JaeJoong didn’t speak a word to her. He is giving her the silence treatment again. She gets off the taxi too after politely smiled at the driver. Just when her taxi went off, JunSu and Ri In arrive. Without saying anything, everyone enter through the main entrance.

“The elevator is this way I think.” JunSu said while pointing to the left side. HyeRan quickly cuts him, “eh no, is this way. Come.” She leads their way to the elevator.

“Oh yeah, this is your last hospital right?” she slowly nodded.

 

 

KNOCK KNOCK

JaeJoong twisted the doorknob and the door reveals a sick man lying on the bed while all sort of wires are connected to his old body. All presence in the room holds their breath when they saw how weak their favorite person is. HyeRan is the one who makes her steps towards the bed first. There, she saw Prof. Lee is closing his eyes and breathe weakly. JunSu and Ri In walk to the other side of the bed. JaeJoong too, slowly drags his daughter and let her sit on the bed. YeRin looks at her Grandpa Lee and turns back to her father, “Appa, why is Grandpa Lee lying here? Why he is asleep? Doesn’t he know we are coming?” he kissed on top of her head, “Grandpa Lee is not feeling well baby.”

Ri In sobs when she heard YeRin innocent questions. She holds the old man hand and caressing it. She leans down until his ear level and whisper, “we are here Uncle.

 

They are nothing much they can do actually since Prof. Lee didn’t open his eyes at all. What they do only accompany his days. According to the doctor that in charge of Prof. Lee, his son already take care of him for the entire month already and can’t keep applying for MC anymore. So he will only visit him after his work. Sometimes his daughter in-law will come by and clean up his body. The doctor saw HyeRan, “you are Dr. Park right?” JaeJoong watched the two. HyeRan nodded her head, “Long time no sees Dr. Jin.” She bows. “I heard from Prof. Lee that he transferred you to New York after that case few years ago.” JaeJoong frowned, that case? JunSu and Ri In who keep their ears open also wondering the same. She gulped down her saliva, please don’t mentioned about it anymore Dr. Jin. Dr. Jin saw how uncomfortable HyeRan is after he mentioned about the incident, he clears his throat and immediately all attention on him, “I will be coming to check him up in few hours more. I’ll see you later.” Everybody stands up and bows to him.

HyeRan eyes followed him until Dr. Jin closes the door. Just when she breathes out, suddenly the door open again and reveals someone until she cursed herself for forgetting that particular person.

 

 

“Hello? ShinHye? I’m here”

She turns around and smiles widely when she saw Kris is standing in front of her. Yesterday, they decided to let him try all the clothes first before the event that will be held this Saturday, which is in two days more.

“Hi! Come! I let you see all the clothes first” She drags Kris to the corner and slid the curtain that hid many rows of unreleased clothes.

Kris eyes widened upon seeing that. Sure, there are many lady dresses than the man’s, but still, ShinHye really designed many beautiful dresses. ShinHye scanned the row and saw Kris’s name tag. “Here.” She takes out 5 set of clothes and hand it to Kris. He once again widened his pair of eyes, “This is surely going to take a lot of time.” Before ShinHye can say anything to reply, he winked his eye and goes straight to the fitting room.

 

 

 

“I..” they look at each other. “you first.” HyeRan speaks, YeEun nodded. She breathe in and out, “how are you doing?” HyeRan nodded her head, “I’m more than fine. How about you?” YeEun shakes her head, she turns her head, “I really miss you.” they looked at each other and laughed in tears, “you look so ugly when you are crying.” HyeRan points to her. “You too Doctor.” YeEun points towards her face too. They both laughed a bit more before fall into each other arms. They both are missing each other so dearly. If she misses YeEun this much, how about that person? Will she collapse in his deep embrace if they meet each other again?

After releasing each other, YeEun helps HyeRan to wipes away her tears while HyeRan does the same. They both laughed again. After that, YeEun told HyeRan what happened after she left the hospital. HyeRan is shocked to hear that Mrs. Jung didn’t filed any complain towards the hospital. She also shocked to hear that YunHo actually didn’t get married with ShinHye. When she asked how YeEun knew about this, she said, YunHo is the one who told her in exchanged she told YunHo where is HyeRan at that time.

“So Dr. Park, there is still chance! You can be together with him!” YeEun clapped her hands. She looked at her, “really? I mean, he really didn’t get married with unnie?” YeEun shook her head, “instead, she gets married with ChangMin-sshi. I really love to see them together, they do look good together.” once again, HyeRan has teary eyes, only this time, she shed tears of hope. Hoping that the man she loves didn’t stop loving her all this time.

 

 

JaeJoong frowned then relax when YeRin holds his hand. “Appa, what are you looking at?” he bends down until YeRin height, he shook his head, “nothing. Thirsty?” YeRin shakes her head. she then points to the sick man on the bed, right now there are only two of them, the married couple is downstairs having their dinner. JaeJoong stands up and saw Prof. Lee is blinking his pair of eyes. Immediately, he slammed the red button on the wall and hurried to Prof. Lee side, calling his name.

“Samcheon….”

 

 

YeonHee put away YooChun hand that lingered around her waist, “he is really a ert man.” She chuckled. Suddenly a wave of drowsiness hit her and she covers while immediately making her way to the toilet.

YooChun wakes up when he heard the sound of YeonHee vomiting. He quickly walks to the bathroom door, “baby, are you okay in there?” instead of replying with words, she reply his question with vomit sound. YooChun twist the doorknob and surprised to see YeonHee is weakly leaned on the toilet bowl and her face is pale like Bella Swan after she turned into vampire.

“YeonHee ah!” he rushed to her and lift her up in bridal style, he puts her on their bed and grab an empty small pail, placed it on the bed side, just in case YeonHee wants to throws up again. He then calls up YeonHee workmate, asking her to send someone to their house to check on his wife.

After 20 minutes of anxiously waiting, a female doctor, Dr. Im arrived. She checks on YeonHee condition and YooChun forced her to tell him what happen to his wife when he saw how uncertain the female doctor is when he asked her what happened 5 minutes ago.

“Mr. Park, YeonHee has made a special request to keep her condition as a secret from everyone.” Dr. Im tries to reason.

YooChun shakes his head, “no no no. I’m her husband. I have the rights to know all about her, including her sickness.” Dr. Im lookup to him, he knew? By the way Dr. Im react, YooChun knew he has said something right. “I know YeonHee doesn’t suffer morning sickness. She told me before. And it’s already 5 months of pregnant, don’t tell me bull about morning sickness. I want the truth right now!”

Unknowingly to him, his loud voice has awakened the mother to be, YeonHee saw how her friend afraid of YooChun when he raised his voice like that. “Dr. Im… ” Both turn their head towards her, “I think you may leave now. Thanks for taking care of me. I’ll treat you one day.” “no biggie YeonHee. Take care of yourself.” She kissed her cheek and after grabs her bag, she bows to YooChun and leave the house. YeonHee turns to YooChun, “are you going to ignore me?” she then saw YooChun shoulder starts to shakes. “Oppa… come here…” he heard the soft pat on the mattress but he still didn’t make any movement.

“come here appa, your baby needs you.”

He secretly smiled; YeonHee always knew how to make him return to her arms, returns to her side. He wipes away his tears and turns his body. YeonHee pouts, “Tch, now you love our baby more than me. I wonder if you ever remember about me when our baby already born.” She gasped when YooChun hand starts to caressed her bulged stomach. “Please tell me everything. I saw your health report YeonHee but it makes me frustrated because I couldn’t understand what is stated there. ” He closed his eyes when YeonHee caressed his both cheeks. “I will tell you oppa, I will.”

 

 

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

JiHye smiles when the green light appears and the unlocked sound can be heard. She knows almost all Ri In’s password until JunSu once joked with her saying “just don’t let me text dirty with you. I want to share dirty thoughts with my wifey only! So don’t simply open her email or text messages.” she steps in the house, the vanilla with a little bit of cinnamon scent filled her nostrils.

 

“Ri In always knows how to decorate her house. It’s the same when we were staying together before.” She takes a look round the house before Ri In words played in her thoughts. “down the hallway huh?” she keeps on walking the hallway and stops when YeRin picture filled the wall. The picture of YeRin when she was born, when she is making her first baby steps and most recent picture, she wore her school uniform, probably her first day to school.

“Why is always Ri In on the picture or JunSu?”

And then she thought of JaeJoong. She never knew the existence of JaeJoong before because Ri In is not a person who tells everyone about her family. Although she is her best friend, she never knew since when Ri In became an orphanage, how she ended up here instead of Seoul or maybe China since she once heard Ri In speaks a very fluent Chinese. She knew her when she was looking for an apartment to stay and Ri In is the same case with her. Together, they stay together for almost 4 years until Ri In was proposed by JunSu.

She continues to walk until she reaches the end of the hallway, “I think this is the room.” She twist the door knob and surprised to see  a king bed and in the room.

                                                  

 

“I thought this was supposed to be a study room.” She walks out from the room and look at her right side, “oh god Ri In, how many hallway you have in your house!” she turns back, ready to closed the door and silently apologized when her eyes caught something on the wall.

She knew it was wrong, wrong for simply intrude someone bedroom like this however; she is sure the pictures on the wall will not be something that she regret to look at. True enough, once she arrived right in front of the many pictures, she sighed while smiling.

             

 

Why this man keep on making her falls harder? She laughed when she saw the last picture

                                                                    

 

and on the frame, someone wrote “YeRin first try on camera” JiHye didn’t know why, but she raised her hand and runs her slender fingers on the last picture. a picture of JaeJoong wears his suit. 

 

                                                              

 

“I’m sure now that I love you, Kim JaeJoong.”

She covered when she realized she just spoke out those 3 words that she never mentioned to anyone. She retreats her steps towards the door, take one last look at the pictures before closed the door.  

 

 

 

HyeRan sits on the couch lifelessly. JaeJoong is calming his daughter while Ri In is sobbing in JunSu warm embrace. Dr. Jin sighed when Prof. Lee face is covered with the white sheet. Everything is over now. After 2 months of battling with his own sickness, Prof. Lee is now rest in peace. Dr. Jin walks to HyeRan and he pats her shoulder. “Be strong Dr. Park.” HyeRan couldn’t shake nor nods her head. in fact, she can’t feel anything now. When Prof. Lee breathes out his last breath after barely speaks a word towards her just 3minutes ago, she feels like her soul has been taken away too. Once again, she lost another person that truly loves her. Someone that will back her up no matter what she had done. The tears that keep on sliding down her cheek, she didn’t even bother to wipe it away. What for? Because she knew, her tears won’t stop flowing until god knows when. The saltiness of her tears she already tastes it. On the other side, JaeJoong is calming YeRin down, that poor little girl has witnessed someone death and she can’t stop crying since the moment Dr. Jin shook his head towards them all. While patting YeRin back, his eyes can’t stop from glancing towards HyeRan. JaeJoong saw the emptiness in her eyes like he saw her on her first day in New York. He walks towards the couch and sits beside her. HyeRan don’t bother to look at him. Just when she wants to stands up, she felt JaeJoong hand on her wrist. However, she didn’t turn towards him.

“Let it out.”

Just three words, HyeRan falls back on the couch and immediately cries on JaeJoong shoulder.

 

“He’s gone! He’s gone!”

 

Hearing HyeRan screams like that has make Ri In and YeRin cry even harder. He can’t help it but join the club of tears too.

 

 

 

Author’s note: hello minna!!! I will start bolding the conversation where they speak Korean okay. It’s to avoid any confusion. Now HyeRan already knew YunHo is single and available, I think few chapter more will be their reunion. Be patience okay! Love each one of you! comments and critics are more than welcome!!  

p/s: how's the Jae's pictures huh? credit to whoever own the picture!