Chapter 23

The Best 9 Months Of My Life!
Hyemi's POV~

After hours of waiting for Yoogeun I sat up against the bed's headboard with my knees up against my chest. He walked in the bedroom and sat at the edge of the bed with a sigh.

"Where have you been?" I asked.

"I was with Woohyun the whole time just talking," he replied.

"I'm sorry," I said. He looked at me confused.

"It's because of me that you lost control," I said. He chuckled and set his hand on my head.

"It wasn't your fault so don't worry about it," he replied. "But I'm curious about something, why aren't we able to control our feelings?"

"It's not that we can't control our feelings, but that we won't you know what I mean?" I explained. "Why?"

"I think I've started to like them," he replied. "I've tried to not have my feelings go too far, but it's hard to do so."

"Now you know how I feel," I chuckled and he pulled me in for a hug. "Are you okay?"

"I'm perfect," he replied as I felt a smile form on his face and soon then he tucked me in and we fell asleep.

I woke up a bit later than the rest of them but it didn't matter cause most of them didn't even see me. I walked around the house finding no one in sight. I then walked out to the backyard finding them huddled around big plastic bowls

"What are you guys doing?" I asked Yoogeun as I kneeled down next to him.

"Kimchi," he said with the biggest smile he can ever give.

"Kimchi? Ah~that one spicy side dish!" I said snapping my fingers. He smiled and nodded. "So then what is this?" I asked pointing to the cabbages. "That's not kimchi, it's supposed to be red."

"There's a lot of different kinds of kimchi actually, therefore all kimchi are not red," he said. "But we're making cabbage kimchi and this is just the start of it." I nodded, understanding and watched Mrs. Kim rinse off the cabbages.

"Yoogeun-ah, come help me carry these cabbages!" Woohyun called out from the garden. Yoogeun ran to him as I followed along.

"Why are you guys making so much?" I asked him.

"The Kim family makes kimchi for a living, to earn money for themselves," Woohyun explained as I followed them back to Mrs. Kim.

"You can help Mr. Kim with the seasoning," Mrs. Kim said to Woohyun as Yoogeun and I stayed behind watching her.

"Do you make a lot of money from this?" Yoogeun asked.

"Just enough to pay the bills and to feed the family," she answered, using the back of her hand to brush her strand of hair back.

"Family? Isn't it just you and Mr. Kim?" Yoogeun asked.

"Mr. Kim, myself and my 2 sons," she replied. I looked at Yoogeun as he looked at me, confused.

"She has kids?" I asked him in our minds. He just shrugged and looked back to Mrs. Kim as she seemed a bit saddened.

"Where are you sons?" Yoogeun asked her.

"My oldest one is in the army as for my younger one," she began. "You'll find out where he is in the next 2 days when we go visit him." Yoogeun and I looked at each other again and just sat there quietly.

"Yoogeun come try this!" Woohyun yelled from the front yard. We ran to him as he had a bowl of kimchi with him. "Here, let me feed you two." He extended his hand out to our mouths as we ate it out of his hands.

"Mhmm, it's delicious!" I exclaimed.

"This is probably the best kimchi I've ever had!" Yoogeun said now chowing down on the rest. Mr. Kim chuckled as Woohyun did as well. After hours of making kimchi we decided to rest for a bit. I laid under the blue sky with Yoogeun and Woohyun.

"Appa, have you met Mrs. Kim's sons?" I asked out of the blue. He turned to me and just stared. I gave him a curious as Yoogeun did as well.

"I've met them both, they're nice guys," he said with a smile. "We pretty much grew up together. Kim Himchan was my age and Kim Junsu was younger by 2 years." Woohyun went on and on about them and telling silly stories as well laughed almost making us cry from the laughter, but then it suddenly died.

"But soon then Himchan reached 18 and became irresponsible," Woohyun said. "He would always push Junsu around and stuff like that and disrespect his parents. Not only that but he started driving and one day he was challenged to a race. Junsu tried to stop him, but Himchan wouldn't stop and left. Junsu being the caring one went after Himchan asking him to take him along. Himchan agreed and Junsu rode with him in the passenger's seat and if you haven't figured it out yet, they got into a pretty bad accident and Junsu died while Himchan tried saving his life doing CPR and all of that."

"So then Himchan went to the army just to get away from all of that?" Yoogeun asked. Woohyun nodded and we both just hung our heads low. "Wow, that's terrible."

"So then two days after today is his anniversary since his death?" I asked tilting my head.

"Yep, but it's also his birthday," Woohyun said with a sigh. "Things really have changed since then. The town has gotten quieter, but maybe it's just mother nature." Yoogeun and I just sighed and continued looking up at the clouds fly by.