STRANGER THAN FICTION [Chapter 4 – Part 3]

What Is Love?

 

 

 

 

STRANGER THAN FICTION

[Chapter 4 – Part 3]

 

 

 

 

                In a cold windless night of a fool moon…

 

                “Tch. They’re—everywhere!” Kai breathlessly muttered as he ran along what seemed like a ghost town—somewhere in the outskirts of Japan.

 

                Abruptly, He stopped and hid on the corners of a dark alley hoping that they’d finally give up on chasing him. He made sure no sound came out from his own mouth.

 

                Sounds of frantic footsteps broke the silence. “Did you see where he went?!” A voice of a man frustratedly yelled.

 

                “N-No sir. I think he’s gone and teleported off to someplace else.” Another answered.

 

                “Are you telling me for the twentieth ing time that—that we can’t even catch ONE single brat!?” The man kicked madly at the trash bins piled against the wall of a building.

 

                 That’s right. And you never will. Kai grinned, still hidden and making no movements on the dark alley.

 

                “Continue the search. There might be others here. Now!” The man finally decided.

 

                The subordinate switched his walky-talky on and spoke, “Target was lost. Continue searching. Over.”

 

                “I got it.” Someone on the other side replied.

 

                 When the men have all gone Kai could finally freely opened his mouth and pant, breathing heavily for air. Tch. Damn it. I’m too tired. I might not be able to go back at this state.

 

 

. . .

 

 

 

               Sounds of thunder loudly rolled across the evening skies as the rain was falling. Sunghee who was sleeping soundlessly on the bed was suddenly awoken. She slowly opened her eyes, looking from left to right. It was dark. So dark. She scratched her eyes for a better vision and finally realized she was in her room.

 

                   Wait a minute... Shouldn’t I be in school?

 

                Quickly she sat up trying to recall what happened. 

 

                “Another vision.” She whispered. I was on the edge of a building…

 

                Just thinking about it made Sunghee nervous. She shivered. The way she remembered it, it was a dark night and the wind was damp and chilly. She wasn’t a very big fan of heights. Altough it was just a vision, it felt real. And it was enough to knock the wits out of her, apparently. Damn it, Sunghee, you are such a wimp! She told her self. 

 

                Recalling the word wimp suddenly made her remember, “Sehun!” She buried her face in her palms. “Oh no.. This is so embarrassing.” She whined. "I passed out in front of Oh Sehun." Crap. Why did it have to happen then? Couldn't it have happened at home?! --Poor Sunghee was in distraught over her whimpiness. 

 

                She glanced at her clock and found that it was five minutes past midnight.

 

                    I’ve been out that long?!

 

                She sighed. Maybe she should try working out? Or acting more badass? Or... acting less like a pushover, maybe. Sunghee pulled her hair to the sides in frustration. Is this what they call teenage identity crisis?

 

                Her freak-out-moment was interrupted when she had that creepy feeling again. Someone was watching her. It's different from last time, but she was so sure. Someone's watching. It made all the hair in her neck stand. All instincts told her to check the perimitter, at least that's what her brother would have done. But it was raining and besides I'm a lame- wimp. She pouted unhappily at her self criticism. She only ran up to her window and looked outside. The rain was pouring and she couldn’t see clearly.

 

                But there was a figure she saw walking along the path.

 

                Just a passerby. She thought in relief. She was ready to piss her pant if it another one of those hunters, to be honest. Only, there was a very strange thing about this passer by. Sunghee wa relieved for a second, but the feeling never went away. It's still there. She looked closely. As the man outside walked, Sunghee could see his footstep light up.

 

                Her eyes grew in utter confusion and shock. “Are those.. sparks of.. flames?” She whispered to herself, scared that she'll get heard. 

 

                Impossible. How can that be—It’s raining! She rubbed her eyes. But it was all too real. She began to feel tense and sat not to get spotted.

 

                Sunghee clasped in fright. Her brother was just a door away. She could just scream out and he'll hear- But no. The whole neighborhood might hear, knowing Sunghee, she had this special talent of waking up babies two miles away. She could run. That's it! Run! Like... the coward that you are. Once again, self criticism.

 

                Her thoughts were even jumbled in fright as she heard loud banging from downstairs. It sounded like the door.

 

                She finally lost it. “Luhan!” She ran for the door.

 

                But as she heard something else, she stopped on her tracks. “Shh! Keep it down! You might wake her up!” It was Kris’s voice sounding so distressed.

 

                    That Kris! Barging into my house in the middle of the freakin night! It was like a thorn off her chest when she heard the familiar voice. But, there was something else. What's he talking about?  

 

                “Don’t you see his current state?” It was Luhan. “He’s drained! If we don’t do anything it’ll be dangerous. We need to call Lay.”

 

                “Tch. Alright! Alright. Tao—put Kai down in the sofa.” Kris said sounding panicked.

 

                 Sunghee gasped hearing everyone's worried voices, and hearing Kai's name. Kai.. What’s going on? She wanted to go down and check. But-

 

                “Luhan, go check if Sunghee’s asleep. I’ll go get Lay.” Kris ordered.

 

                 Sunghee had enough seconds to spare, and she quickly jumped on her bed and pretended to be asleep as she heard Luhan come up stairs. She heard him open the door, for a moment he stood silently, and then closed it back. Before she stood up, she made sure he was gone. That's when she heard Kris fly off.

 

                 She went back to eavesdrop.

 

                 “She’s asleep.” She heard Luhan speak. “This idiot. He didn’t have to go so far! He never thinks things through.”

 

                 “I think he just wanted to protect everyone.” Tao deffended.

 

                 “Still—to go through so much trouble just to lead those people away—without even telling us?! Such a reckless thing to do!” Luhan sounded more worried than angry.

 

                 “Don’t worry so much. Kai is a though kid. He’ll be fine once Lay heals him.” Tao said.

                 

                 Sunghee heard Luhan sigh.

               

                 What was this? Kai was hurt? He was missing, and now this? Protect? Who was he trying to protect? Damn it, look. He couldn't protect himself! Jonging, you stupid little-  Unknowingly, Sunghee’s tears began to fall..

 

                 “Kai you—you idiot.” She sniffed. Why would you go off alone like that?!

 

                 “Such.. an idiot.” All night she cried feeling upset that she couldn’t even go down and take a look at how he was doing and how she could do anything for anybody, not even her self.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

(T^T)

Oh Kai.

Tsk. Tsk.

So ... Brave.