STRANGER THAN FICTION [Chapter 4 – Part 1]

What Is Love?

 

                

STRANGER THAN FICTION

[Chapter 4 – Part 1]

 

 

                Still, the skies were dark as if it was to rain, but not a drop was falling. Only the winds blew aloofly outside with the sun hidden. The classroom seemed to be as gloomy as ever with the weather all chilly like this.

 

                And yet again.. What an odd weather. Sunghee glanced outside as the teacher was doing attendance check.

 

                “Kim Jungsoo?”

 

                “Here!” The student raised his hand.

 

                “Kim Jongin?”

 

                And there was no answer.

 

                Sunghee’s deep concentration outside was not disrupted. “Miss Sunghee, Do you know where Jongin is?” The teacher asked.

 

                   Kai.... I've been looking everywhere for him this morning like crazy. And it was really cold too! 

 

                 I couldn't find him anywhere. Was he abducted? What if something bad happened to him?! I can’t believe Luhan isn’t doing anything about this! He’s not even worried!

 

                “Miss Sunghee.” The teacher repeated.

 

                Miyoung had to elbow her again to knock some senses into her.

 

                 “Y-Yes sir!?” Sunghee said.

 

                “I said, Do you know where Jongin is?”

 

                Sunghee’s eyes began to water. NO! NO I DON’T!  She wanted to yell at him. FOR ALL I KNOW HE COULD BE DEAD AND I’M STUCK HERE DOING NOTHING ABOUT IT! -- SO NO, YOU SORRY EXCUSE FOR A TEACHER! I DO NOT KNOW WHERE HE IS!

 

                “Sunghee~ah.. Are you alright?” Miyoung whispered.

 

                “I think he’s still sick, Sir.” Sunghee kept her cool and lied. She figured it would be much better to keep her thoughts to her self.

 

                “Ok then. Next—Jang Whosang?”

 

                “Here.” The student answered.

 

                “Oh Sehun?”

 

                There was also no answer.

 

                “What is up with kids these days? You all should be taking care of your health!” The teacher nagged, tutting and shaking his head.

 

                Meanwhile…

 

                “You looked like you were about to cry, Sunghee.” Miyoung said hushly. “Did something happen? Are you alright?”

 

                Sunghee felt like if she were to answer anymore questions about where Kai was-- she was going to burst out and cry. So she only shook her head and faced the window, hoping no one else noticed her. Why was she even so worried? It's ridiculous. She knew very well that Jongin was already grown up, but then again that boy was a kid at heart. He was spontaneous and rash. He gets in trouble a lot. It gave her enough reason to worry.

 

                   KAI. You jerk! Couldn’t you have told me anything before going anywhere so I’m not worrying like an idiot here!

 

. . .

 

                “Today will be a little bit easier for everyone. We won’t be tackling mainly History first—Today is about your family history.” The teacher announced. “You’ll all need a partner. I’ll give you two minutes to pick. Start now.”

 

                And everyone else moved quickly and picked out their partners except for Sunghee—She was too preoccupide with everything and she was the only one left without a partner. Miyoung was snatched away by her boyfriend. Sunghee rolled her eyes as if saying—Oh great. You pick your boyfriend over me?

 

                Miyoung mouthed, Im sorry about this Sunghee. He pulled me!

 

                Sunghee shook her head in disappointment.

 

                “Oh, Sunghee. Don’t you have a partner?” The teacher asked.

 

                “No I don’t sir.” Obviously.

 

                Suddenly..

 

                Sehun came running inside the room. He bowed as he panted. “I'm sorry Mr. Han."

 

                “Oh! Mr. Sehun.” The teacher said in surprise.

 

                “There was an emergency I had to take care of.” He bowed one more time. “I’m sorry for being so late.”

 

                “Is that so?—Well then, quickly, go ahead. Take a seat next to Sunghee. We’re having an activity.” The teacher pointed to the chair.

 

                And for some reason Sunghee felt nervous all over again. She quickly forgot about worrying about where Kai was. W-Wait! What?! Hey! I . .

 

                Sehun gave a short nod instead of a hello.

 

                She nodded back.

 

                “You’ll all have to write down your family trees. And explain them to your partners. I will be calling a few to explain their partner’s family trees. Do you all understand?” Mr. Han explained, looking over at everyone.

 

                “Ne~” Everyone answered.

 

                “Alright then.. You may begin.”

 

                Sunghee froze. There was a slight problem with this seatwork. Suddenly she realized—I can’t remember my parents’ names.. She only knows Luhan as her brother.. And everything else was a BLANK.

 

                    What now?!

 

                She glanced over at Sehun’s paper and was stunned.

 

                His paper was just about as spotless as hers. There was nothing except for a box with his name in it and.. another empty box. Weird.

 

               “Sehun, what is that empty box for?” She attempted to ask, but it came out really badly. She sounded so tense. 

 

                He looked at her as if almost saying 'I'm glad you asked.'

 

                “This space is meant for someone… I love.” There were sadness in his beautiful eyes. ",that I’ve lost.”

 

                Looking at his hurt expression, out of the blue, she felt her heart breaking. This boy was genuinely honest for some reason. That slight tingle of pity in Sunghee's heart made her want to hold his hadn and tell him everything will be fine.

 

                    Wait. What? Did I just want to hold his hand? 

 

                And it was as if Sunghee’s heart was being hammered. It drummed loudly inside her.

 

                    His eyes.. Those eyes..

 

                “Someone.. you lost?” Her voice softened.

 

                His usual cold—emotionless expression changed into a warm smile. It literally made her feel warm for some reason. “Yeah. But I’m sure she’ll come back to me soon.” He said positively. “How about you? Why is there only two boxes?”

 

                She snapped out of whatever trance she was in and glanced at her paper.

 

                She laughed timidly. “Oh, this? Well… I actually don’t remember anything from my past.”

 

                “How can that be?” He asked—looking very curious.

 

                “My brother—Luhan. He explained to me that I’ve had an accident.. and it gave me short term amnesia. I can’t remember anything. Literally.” Explaining to Sehun made her feel better. She’s always wanted to pour out her feelings to someone else but there was just no one out there to talk to.

 

                She said with a hit of bitterness, “It sounds completely unreal doesn’t it? Like some sort of stupid drama.” She almost felt like crying.

 

                “Not at all.” Sehun smiled at her comfortingly. “They say reality is a lot stranger than fiction. It isn’t something you should be ashamed of.”

 

                Unexpectedly.. The wind outside blew softly around Sunghee.. It felt so peaceful and relaxing.. As she looked at him.. “Thanks. Thanks a lot Sehun.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

___________________________________________________________