CHAPTER 12 - II

What Is Love?

 

                

 

                “It’s my turn to ask.” Kai said after finishing his story. He glanced at Sehun who seemed to be still distraught by the truth he had just spoken. He was actually worried that Sehun might just jump on him and strangle him.

 

                “Go ahead.” Sehun muttered, perfectly hiding his mood.

 

                “Where are D.O. and Baekhyun?” Kai questioned with caution.

 

                Sehun snorted. “That’s your question?”

 

                Kai looked serious enough.

 

                “They’re…” Sehun paused to think. “On their way.”

 

                Kai let out a disappointed sigh. “So.. you’re not telling me where? Are you?” He smiled. “You always were a smart boy, Sehun.”

 

                    What exactly are you planning, Suho?

 

                “I know.” Sehun sneered.

 

                Kai knew he wasn’t getting much information out of Sehun. Not after having pissed the heck out of him. He knew that much from just looking at Sehun. It wasn't so hard to tell, really.

 

                “So.. I’m guessing you at least told her about what she is?” Sehun was feeling more and more miserable with every question he asked about Sunghee, but it didn’t matter to him. He just wanted to know how she was doing in those two years they were apart.

 

                “I told her she’s an alien.” Kai said awkwardly.

 

                “Aliens fall out of the sky.” Sehun scoffed. “Our kind have been inhabiting Earth for years.”

 

                “So what do you say we are?” Kai said, feeling a bit affronted.

 

                “I’d say… we’re advanced species.” Sehun responded in all seriousness.

 

                Kai actually chuckled. “You make it sound like we’re animals.” He finally decided to stand up and leave. As he climbed the slope to the motor, he turned back and looked at Sehun. “That thing I was going to tell you.. It’s about Sunghee.”

 

                It caught Sehun’s attention. “What is it?” He asked.

 

                “I heard what happened.. When she lost consciousness.” Kai said, looking troubled. “You can’t do that again.”

 

                “I didn’t do anything.” Sehun defended himself.

 

               “If you keep trying to force memories out of her, it will cause her a lot of strain. You might put her in a lot of danger.” Kai explained.

 

                Sehun stood up with his fist clenched. The wind blew coldly, interpreting his emotions. Kai felt sorry for him, but at the same time he wanted to protect Sunghee. And he didn’t know which one was more important.

 

                “You were both right and wrong.” Sehun said out of the blue. “Sunghee can both nullify and increase the abilities of people around her.”

 

                Kai’s eyes widened. Eventually, he slowly understood what Sehun meant.

 

                Sunghee wasn’t just a regular . . . extraterrestrial being.

 

                You see, only a few species can have two very different kind of powers—the royal kind. It was like having both fire and water under your control. Sunghee is a part of the royal bloodline.

 

                    That’s why.. She had so much energy inside her. Kai concluded.

 

                “I once told her—having such abilities is both a blessing and curse.” Sehun continued, having the memory burn clear in his thoughts. “A royal blood.. with responsibilities to both control and protect her people. That’s what her powers stand for. Both nullify and intensify. Therefore, the burden was… she could never protect herself, but only the people around her. But instead, she only smiled at me and said.. ‘Having the ability to protect the people I love.. How can that be a curse?’

 

                “Why are you telling me this?” Kai asked.

 

                “Because I owe you." Sehun said. He wasn’t looking back at Kai, but he meant every word. “Thank you for protecting Sunghee with the best of your abilities, Hyung.. Thank you for protecting her in my place while I was gone.”

 

                A swell of guilt built up around Kai’s chest. He knew how Sehun felt. But He thinks might actually like Sunghee. And he felt more confused more than ever. Sehun was like a little brother to him. They go way back even before all of this happened. Kai was clueless—he didn’t know what he could do.

               

               

 

 

 

 

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

SUBBERS, VIEWERS, READERS
YOU ARE MUCH APPRECIATED AND LOVED!