[Destiny Reunites] Chapter II

What Is Love?

 

 

 

 

 

[Destiny Reunites]
Chapter II

 

 

 

 

                The first bell rang, and classes began. Everyone was already seated to their chairs, waiting quietly for the teacher to arrive. Sunghee, who sat the nearest to the window was staring blankly outside.

 

                The rain stopped. Now it’s sunny. “What an odd weather.” She muttered.

 

                The teacher entered and the students greeted him.

 

                “Good morning everyone, first of all, an announcement. We have a new transfer student who came from China today.” He said with an anticipating smile. “But he’s Korean by blood I assure you. I know it's sudden but I hope everyone treats him well.”

 

                And as if by cue, a boy came in, making the class hissed with excitement, while Sunghee stared mindlessly outside. She probably didn't even hear anything. She was zoning out.

 

                Miyoung, who sat next to her, elbowed Sunghee. “Wow. He’s pretty cute!” She whispered.

 

                Finally, Sunghee turned and look at the new student. Her eyes widened.

 

                    That’s the guy I bumped yesterday!  She suddenly felt nervous for no reason and couldn’t look at him. She began thinking of all sorts of greetings of he ever comes and talks to her. Something like, 'Hi! I'm Sunghee. I'm sorry for bumping on to you yesterday. I'm a cluts, you see.' Or maybe something like, 'Wow! What a coincidence! I didn't expect I'd ever see you again!' Or maybe she could just sit down quietly and avoide getting spotted... Yes. That seems like the reasonable thing to do right now. Act cool.

 

                “What is it? What’s wrong?” Miyoung scrunched her brows.

 

                “Nothing.” Sunghee lied and kept her eyes on the window.

 

                “I’m Oh Sehun.” The new student bowed casually. “Nice to meet you all.”

 

                “You can take your seat right behind miss Miyoung.” The teacher pointed, Miyoung smiled shyly.

 

                As Sehun passed, Sunghee could swear she saw him glance at her. It only made her even more nervous. Miyoung fidgeted excitedly as Sehun took his seat behind her.

 

                How strange.. Something about him's odd..  Sunghee thought.

 

. . .

 

                Lunch.

 

                “Ehem. May I seat with my best friend?” Miyoung was holding her lunch tray, looking at Kai who sat next to Sunghee. I

 

                Kai didn’t seem to be in the mood to answer. His gaze trailed off to nowhere.

 

                “Okay. I’ll take that as yes.” Miyoung sat.

 

                Everyone was quiet and no one spoke. Kai looked like he had a headache—Or maybe that’s just how he looked when he has problems. Who knows? Sunghee barely touched her food—It was like she was having a stare down against a bread.

 

                 Did someone die? They sure are acting weird.

 

                “What’s up with you two?” Miyoung banged the table lightly, It caught both Kai and Sunghee’s attention.

 

                “Huh?” Sunghee blinked.

 

                “You two look . . .stressed.” Miyoung said.

 

                “I have to go.” Kai stood up. Clearly, he had no intention of hearing Miyoung rant on about stupid things like she always do. “I’ll see you later.”

 

                “Oh, Okay.” Sunghee still looked preoccupied.

 

                “See? What’d I tell ya? You two are acting strange! What happened? Tell me!” Miyoung pried feeling a little ignored at the moment. How come she's the only one perked up and lively? It's not fair!

 

                “Kai? Isn’t he always silent? That’s what you told me.” Sunghee hoped she would just stop asking questions for once.

 

                  “Today is a different kind of silent! Usually he’s ‘cool’ silent—but earlier he looked so bothered by something. Did something happen between you two?!” Miyoung exclaimed even more. 

 

                 “What? Will you keep it down?” Sunghee hissed. “Nothing happened. I don’t know anything, okay? I don’t know what’s going on.”

 

                “Chill. I was just asking.” Miyoung’s voice went a little lower. “Fine then, What about you? What’s wrong with you?”

 

                “Me? Nothing’s wrong with me.” Sunghee stuttered, suddenly imagining Sehun's face.

 

                Sunghee and Miyoung were talking as a crowd of students came rushing in. They looked like they were surrounding someone. It was Sehun. Oh, what perfect timing. Now, to add up to everything Sunghee's been thinking, she was once again very fidgety and nervous.

 

                “Will you look at that? First day in school and he’s already got himself a fansclub.” Miyoung said in awe.

 

                Sunghee wasn’t planning on it—but when she looked at their direction she unintentionally looked at Sehun. And for a second there was an eye contact between the two of them. Sunghee quickly looked away.

 

                What the hell was that, Sunghee?  Sunghee mentally face plamed her self and cooly tried take a sip from her milk, blinking away, hoping he wasn’t really looking at her.

 

                “Miyoung, I have to go to the, uhm, restrooms.” Sunghee tensely stood up.

 

                “Huh? Okay. Go ahead.” Miyoung said.

 

                Sunghee quickly jogged out of the canteen.

 

                Walking along the corridor, Sunghee held on to her chest. I’ve seen him before yesterday. I don’t remember. But I have this feeling that.. Somehow.. I know him.

 

                For the nth time, Sunghee's thoughts wondered off and hadn't realized she had already exited the school building. Suddenly she sees Kai. He was sitting on one of the benches along the path. Sunghee went closer and found him sleeping. His arm supported his head--and his eyes were closed. Carefully she sat next to him, making sure she doesn’t wake him up.

 

                Out of the blue, Kai spoke startling Sunghee. “Go ahead. You can tell me whatever’s been bothering you the whole morning.” His eyes were still closed.

 

                Sunghee’s heart skipped in shock.  “I thought you were sleeping.”

 

                Kai turned his head and opened his eyes. “What is it? You can tell me.” He smiled warmly.

 

                She hesitated to tell him. Something inside her kept saying to keep it just to herself—that it’s not really a big deal. “It’s nothing.” She lied once again.

 

                Kai sighed and closed his eyes again.

 

                “Are you alright, Kai?” She asked him.

 

                “It’s just a head ache.” He answered.

 

                “Should I get you some medicine?” She said worriedly. “Does it hurt badly?”

 

                For the second time, Kai looked at her and smiled. “Would you take me home if I asked you too?”

 

                She paused and thought it through. “Well, Of course! If you're really feeling sick. Then of course I will.”

 

                Kai stood up smiling. “Alright then, lets go home.”

 

                “What?” She stood up. “But—Are you sure? You look fine by me. Can’t you just stay in the clinic?”

 

                Kai abruptly changed his expression to being hurt and he held onto his forehead. “Ugh~ Yes. It hurts. Take me home please.”

 

                Sunghee scrunched her brows. “Lazy bum! I bet you just don’t want to go to class.” She said as she held his forehead to feel his temperature.

 

                She was stunned. He really was sick. He had fever. Her eyes widened. “Kai..” She muffled.

 

                Kai smiled weakly. “So how about it? Will you take me home?”

 

                She felt guilty and so she grabbed his arm and put it around her shoulder to assist him. “Ok. Lets go.” She now said without hesitating. “I’ll go ask for permission.”

 

. . .

 

                Meanwhile. . .

 

                On the rooftop . . .

 

                Sehun was watching. . .

 

                Looking down at Sunghee and Kai. . .

 

                “Sunghee..” He whispered.

 

                And as he did, Sunghee felt it again. . .

 

                She was being watched.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

__________________________________________________________________