REVEAL [Chapter 8]

What Is Love?

 

 

REVEAL

[Chapter 8 ]

 

 

 

Everyone around me thinks I'm this kid they have to protect. They don't tell me anything at all! I mean, at the very least, I should at least know something!

 

It's just not fair!

 

It was another quiet family dinner at Sunghee’s house. Somehow, from all the thinking and the stress, Sunghee's finally had enough. She was pissed. Pissed at eveything. Was it just her teenage hormones? Who knows. She  wasn’t touching her food at all, in all honesty, it looked like she was trying to murder her food, which was really weird. It was so awkward and silent that all you could hear was the utensils clinking.

 

                 Suddenly Sunghee couldn’t take it anymore. “Where is Kai?” She asked although she knew perfectly where he was.

 

                “He’s out.” Luhan answered cooly. It only angered Sunghee even more. How can they lie to me so balantly? She was getting sick of all the lying.

 

                “Then I’ll go to his apartment and bring over some food.” Sunghee tested them further.

 

                “I already did that.” Kris said.

 

                “Doesn’t matter.” She stood up. “I just want to go and see him.”

 

                 “Sit down.” Kris ordered, sending her warning glances. But his focus was still on his food.

 

                 Sunghee had enough. She slammed both her hands on the table. “NO!”

 

                 Kris stood up and looked at her. “Sit. Down.” Everyone trembled at the sound of Kris' voice, let alone the strict look on his face. This was definitely not going to end well.

 

                “Stop.” Luhan told them both. It was killing him inside, seeing everyone over the edge and angry like this.

 

                “I know what happened, Alright?!” She yelled frustratedly. “When are you gunna stop treating me like a kid and start telling me the truth!?” She felt a swell in as she held all her tears back. She was taking all her rage out on every single thing inside this room.

 

                Kris and Lay glanced at Luhan.

 

                “We were doing it for you.” Luhan put a strong front. Everybody knew how much he loves his sister and how much he hates acting all angry. It was just not like him.

 

                “Well maybe I don’t need you to do anything for me, Luhan!”

 

                Luhan flinched at the comment. That certainly hurt. Everyone stayed quiet and stared at the poor boy.

 

                “G-Guys. Relax.” Xiumin pleaded. “You don’t have to yell at each other.”

 

                “Just listen, Okay Sunghee?” Lay began.

 

                “No. I’m not listening to any more lies you have to tell me.” Sunghee wiped her tears. "None of you trusts me enough to tell me anything!"

 

                To top it all off, everyone froze like statues. Literally. Sunghee gasped. For a moment she froze but  she knew what this was. Sunghee  turned to look at Tao, who, apparenly had stopped time.

 

                “Oppa, What are you doing?” She said.

 

                “It was getting noisy.” Tao simply said, not a sign of hesitation on his face. 

 

                “This isn’t helping.” She told him.

 

                Tao slowly stood up. “Luhan was right. Sometimes things are just better left unsaid, Sunghee.”

 

                “You say that because you don’t know how it feels—to have no memories of my past—and to have people I trust lie in front of my face. I don’t know anything! I don’t know who to trust!” More tears came flowing down from her eyes.

 

                Sunghee ran for the door. Tao only watched as she did.

 

                "Do you know hard it is worrying about you all the time?" Tao shook his head.

 

                . . . .

 

                Sunghee kept walking until she realized she don’t know where she is anymore. She glanced at her watch and it pointed forty minutes past ten. It was dark and some streetlights were busted, flickering on and off like Christmas lights. It was so cold that she could see her breath fog up and felt her fingertips freezing.

 

                “What are you doing, Sunghee?” She asked her self frustratedly, rubbing her hands together for warmth. Where am I?

 

                Sunghee started crying. She sat under a blinking light post and hugged her knees.

 

                    Doing it for me? How is lying going to help me? Nobody understands… Nobody…

 

                The wind blew coldly on her face. She shivered. Out of nowhere, a cat jumped at some pile of trash bins and made the bins tumble over and create uproar of noise. Sunghee jumped and screamed in surprise. She realized she was trembling in so much coldness.

 

                Then she heard footsteps. Sunghee sat still and waited for the person to pass, hoping she wouldn’t get noticed. Unfortunately, She heard the footsteps coming towards her. Sunghee hugged her knees tighter and closed her eyes.

 

                “Excuse me miss.” The person said. “What are you doing sitting out here in the cold?”

 

                Sunghee hesitated to lift up her head and look at the person.. but she did anyways.

 

                It was Suho.

 

                “You’re…” Sunghee’s eyes grew big. That guy from the bus..

 

                Suho looked just as surprised as she was.

 

                He quickly helped her up and dusted her off. “Are you okay?” He asked.

 

                “Do I know you?” She sniffed.

 

                Suho looked at her. It was better to ignore that question. “Why were you … crying?”

 

                Don’t answer Sunghee.. You don’t know this stranger.. “It’s—nothing.”

 

                “Okay, but you can’t stay out here. It’s cold. You should go home.” Suho said nicely.

 

                    Home?

 

                “But. I don’t want to. I don’t want to go home.” She said.

 

                “Why?” Suho asked.

 

                “I.. I just don’t.” She reasoned.

 

                “Listen, you really should get going. It’s late.” Suho was talking like a big brother now.

 

                Sunghee scrunched her brows. “Why should I listen to you?” I’ve had enough of listening to anyone.    

 

                “You’re one stubborn girl.” Suho sighed.

 

                “Take me with you!” She suddenly spat out of the blue.

 

                “What?” Suho was stunned. “Look, Sunghee—“

 

                “Sunghee?” She looked at him in shock. He knew her name! “How did you.. know my name?!”

 

                Suho slipped. “Tch. Damn it.” He mumbled. Think, Suho. Think!

 

                Sunghee pointed at him. “Are you a stalker??!”

 

                “What?!—No!” Suho shook his head furiously. He was certainly not a ert. Just like that, he came up with the quickest excuse. “Sehun! Sehun—you go to Sehun’s school, Right?!” He laughed nervously.

 

                “You know Sehun?” She calmed down after hearing his name. 

 

                “I—I do. I live with him, right now at least.” Suho said. Wow, that was close. Good excuse there, Joonmyun. He was quite relieved. “Look, You have to go home.”

 

                “Take me with you.” Sunghee suddenly demanded.

 

                “What?! Are you crazy?” Suho yelled. Now, things got even more complicated. What now?

 

                Sunghee knew he wasn’t going to budge. So she decided to play her guilt card. She held her breath and cried. “I don’t want to go home, okay? Please take me with you.” She sniffed and wiped her fake tears.

 

                And Suho fell for it. “O-Okay. Okay. Just stop crying.” He finally said.