A princess' decision [Chapter 30]

What Is Love?

 

 

 

 

A princess' decision

[Chapter 30]

 

 

 

That night, Sunghee had yet again decided to watch over Sehun. While Hyunjae never left the chapel, she was still begging for a miracle.

 

She never let go of Sehun’s hands, not even until she fell asleep.

 

In her subconscious, Sunghee was having the most vivid dream she has ever had. It was so realistic and accurate. Too life-like that she was having a hard time believing she was dreaming.

 

In her dream, she was exactly still inside the hospital room, with Sehun right next to her. The room was dark and there was nobody else in it besides the both of them. But it was cold. There were chilling gusts of air coming from the open window. Sunghee stood up to close it down, thinking it wasn’t doing Sehun’s health any good. But to her surprise, there was a glowing figure floating right by the window. Sunghee was too stunned to scream. This was the seventh floor, and that thing must be flying.

 

“Do not be afraid.” The glowing figure spoke with a woman’s tone. Sunghee took a closer look and realized it was a woman. Her hair was flowing like waving water, just like her silk white gown. She might have been an angel, Sunghee thought.

 

“Who are you?” Sunghee finally managed to speak.

 

The woman glowed brightly and glided inside the room. “I… am you. And you are me.”

 

“What are you talking about? There’s only me. Only one me.” Sunghee suddenly felt confused, not knowing whether she was frightened or angry.

 

The glowing woman smiled. Looking at her, Sunghee couldn’t help but stare. She was beautiful, so beautiful that Sunghee felt at ease by just looking at her. “That is true.” The woman’s feet did not touch the ground, she remained levitated. “There is only one you, my princess.”

 

“T-Then who are you?” Sunghee repeated.

 

“I have already told you.” The woman replied with a warm smile.

 

“You’re not making any sense!” Sunghee yelled at her.

 

“On the contrary, there a lot of things in this world that would never make sense, my dear.”

 

Sunghee gave up. She knew she wasn’t getting a proper answer out of this glowing entity. “Why are you here? What do you want?”

 

“I am here because, princess, you needed me.”

 

“N-Needed you? I don’t even know you—so stop calling me princess.” Sunghee took a step back.

 

There was a pained expression emitting from her smile. “That.. Is all my fault.” She glided even closer to Sunghee until they were face to face. Then she hugged Sunghee. “If I had held on a little tighter and lived, I would have been there to see the day you grow up to be such a wonderful child… You would have known who I am, my dear.”

 

Sunghee then realized. . .this woman. . .was her mother. For the first time, she’s finally seen her. Thinking it was a just a dream, Sunghee hugged her mother back as tightly as she could. If this was the only chance she’d get to hug her mother—Sunghee would never let go.

 

The Queen then looked at Sehun. “I have been watching you, my dear princess. I could feel every single tear you have cried for this young man.”

 

The girl sobbed in her mother’s arms. “I don’t know what to do. I don’t have any powers. I’m useless.”

 

“That is why I am here.” The Queen lifted up Sunghee’s head and looked her in the eyes. “I do not want to see you crying anymore, my child. It is too painful watching you cry. And I am such he feels the same way.”

 

“What can we do?” Sunghee asked.

 

“You are a royal blood. You have never lost your powers. It has always been with you.” The glowing woman glided back, pointing towards Sunghee’s heart. “Remember what this loyal knight has told you…”


 

 


 

FLASHBACKS...

 

“Joonmyun hyung said a royal blood is rare.” Sehun smiled at Sunghee. “Only people like you could have two powers at the same time. You’re extremely powerful.”

 

Sunghee’s face turned red. Hearing him praise her like this was the best feeling in the world. These were the times when Sunghee wished she had a recorder with her to tape everything he said. “Nullification and Amplification.” She thought out loud with a shy smile.

 

“I think it’s both a blessing and a curse.” Sehun said forwardly. “A royal blood with responsibilities to both control and protect her people. That’s what your powers stand for. Both nullify and intensify. Therefore, the burden is… you could never protect herself, but only the people around you.”

 

“Oh?” Sunghee’s high feelings suddenly crashed and burned. She was disappointed, but instead she just smiled and said, “Having the ability to protect the people I love.. How can that be a curse?”

 

“You’re right, though.” Sehun said. “If you can’t protect yourself, that’s what I’m here for. I’ll protect you.” He beamed.

 


 

 

 

“You must make a decision.” The Queen took Sunghee’s hand. “What is it that you truly wish for?”

 

A decision. Sunghee was never good at those. It was where she was most unconfident of her self. But one thing was clear to her. “I want to save him...and Jongin too.”

 

The Queen looked as if she was about to cry. She knew very well that this was going to be Sunghee’s answers. “But, princess, in this world sacrifices must be made.”

 

“I am willing to give my all.” Sunghee decided. Instantly, she had an idea of what the sacrifice was. But it was better than going on and living without Sehun or Jongin.

 

“Very well, princess, you must stay strong.” The Queen smiled once more and gave her precious princess a kiss to the forehead. “…and my child, please do not die.”

 

Sunghee grabbed her mother for the last time and hugged her as tight as she could. “Mom, I love you. I always have.”

 

“I do to. For I am you, and you are me. We are one and the same, my love.” A single glowing tear trickled from the Queen’s eye. Her whole body began to grow so brightly like a star. It grew so bright that Sunghee had to close her eyes. She felt her self being lifted off the ground… and when she opened her eyes… the dream was over.

 

There she was, still holding Sehun’s hand.

 

“I know what to do now.” She whispered and wiped her tears.

 

Suddenly, the door bashed open, and the Frantic Joonmyun came in. “S-Sunghee..” He stammered. “Jongin..he’s..”

 

“He’s what?” Sunghee quickly stood up.

 

“He’s awake.” Joonmyun didn’t look so happy about this. “And..he’s..dying..”