I'm With You [Chapter 18 - II]

What Is Love?

 

 

 

                It was already dark outside. Around this time in the forest nocturnal creatures already go about hunting for their night time meals. Meanwhile Hyunjae had already started a bon fire as she cooked some canned goods she found from the base while Kai was tightly roped into a tree, still unconscious.

 

                        

 

                When Kai gradually gained his consciousness and opened his eyes, he was astonished to see himself sitting  and tied up into a tree. “W-What is this!?” He tried to squirm himself loose but the rope was tied too tight. He scowled at Hyunjae. “What the—Are you cooking?? W-What is this? Untie me right now!”

 

                Hyunjae looked at him with bored eyes. “Look alien.. you are probably the most reckless thing I’ve ever met.”

 

                “I am not a thing. I have a name.” Kai yapped.

 

                “What is it?” Hyunjae asked politely.

 

                Kai looked at her with so much annoyance. “What is up with you? Seriously. Most of the times you’re rude and—now you’re just…” He paused to think of the right word. “Y-You’re strange.”

 

                “You didn’t answer my question.” She poked the fire and little spurs of ember flew.

 

                           

 

                He heaved a deep gloomy sigh. “Jongin. My name is Kim Jongin. I’m guessing you have a name too?”

 

                She stopped and looked at him for a second. “No. I don’t have a name.”

 

                “Okay then, look assassin. Would you just let me off this tree?” Kai tried changing his tone thinking she might reconsider.

 

                Hyunjae poured the canned soup into two cups. Kai felt his stomach rumble in hunger. His mouth watered longing for food but he resisted. Tch. Stupid girl. “Where did you even get those?” He looked at the food.

 

                She hesitated to answer but finally said, “Hyunsung used to call me Hyunjae.” She stood up and walked towards him. She sat in front of him and placed the cups of soup down. “I went inside the base.” She said.

 

                “You what? But I thought those guys are cold-blooded merciless killers. How come you got in?” He wondered, starring hungrily at the soup right in front of him.

 

                “I’m an assassin, duh.” She took a sip from her cup. “And besides everyone was so busy moving out their gears… I heard the whole sector was shut down.”

 

                “Shut down?”

 

                “Yeah.”

 

                “Does that mean… we’re free?”

 

                “Unfortunately.. No.”

 

                “Why it that?”

 

                “Because..” Hyunjae pulled out a knife and leaned closer to Kai.

 

                S-She’s going to—He thought she was going to stab him. But he felt the ropes around him loosen and he looked down and they were cut off.

 

                “I also heard the general cursing and blabbing about how he’s going to make all of you pay.” Hyunjae grinned at Kai’s alarmed reaction.

 

                Kai stretched his arms free. Finally!

 

                “Aren’t you going to eat?” She looked down on his steaming cup of soup.

 

                Kai grabbed the cup and took a sip then he turned to her and said, “Can I just ask—what the hells is wrong with you?! You drugged me and tied me down to a tree!”

 

                “Because you’re a moron, that’s why.”

 

                Kai bit his lips in so much resentment towards her.

 

                “I was thinking you might wake up and run straight to them while I was sneaking inside the base—then you’d end up dead. So I just tied you up while I was gone.”

 

                Kai glanced at the rope she used to tie him up and thought What other dangerous things does she keep inside that bag of hers? Honestly. “So.. This General.. Is he really that dangerous?” He asked.

 

                “He’s a sadistic man.” Her tone suddenly changed. She pulled her sleeve up and showed him a scar. “Most scars I get aren’t from missions, but from his punishments.”

 

                Kai suddenly felt guilty—and he hated it. He was supposed to hate this girl. But even how much irritating she gets he always has to remind himself that she’s still a girl.

 

                He stood up. “We have to get home and warn the others.”

 

                Hyunjae grabbed his shirt and pulled him back down. “We’re not going anywhere.”

 

                Kai almost tumbled down. “Why not??”

 

                “Because your friend told me I shouldn’t let you teleport when you’re weak.”

 

                “Which friend??”

 

                “Y-You know.. the tall one who flies..” She stuttered. “He told me if I keep my eyes on you he’d let me… stay.”

 

                Did she just blush?  “Wufan? Kris hyung?” He said observing her flustered reactions to kris’ name. “Stay? Stay with who? Us? No way. There’s no way. Why would you even want to stay??”

 

                “Look, Jongin.” He blushed as she said his name for the first time. “My subordinates are both dead.. the government expects me to disappear too.. And your friend—what’s his name? Wufan? Kris?—He offered me to stay.. under his protection if I do as he says.”

 

                Tch. That man. Always trying to get what he wants. “Oh I get it. You like him and now you’re doing as he says so you’d get to his good side.”

 

                “Like? Me? I don’t like anything.” She defended.

 

                “Then why are you blushing?” He taunted.

 

                “That’s not it!” She blushed. “It’s completely business.”

 

                “I see— I see how red your face is.” Kai shrugged. “Listen, tell you what. Do your self a favor and stay away from Wufan. He’s sadistic too you know and scary too if you ask me. A pretty girl like y—“ Kai paused. What did I just say??  “—I mean… Y-You’re just wasting your time!”

 

                Hyunjae threw the cup straight to his forehead. “I said I don’t like him!”

 

                “OUCHHH!!” Kai yelped. “THAT HURTS!!” He stood up and stormed off.

 

                “Where are you going now?!” Hyunjae followed impatiently.

 

                “Away from you! You’re gunna end up killing me!” He spat.

 

                “It’s just a cup. You’re over reacting.” She rolled her eyes.

 

                I can’t believe I almost said she was pretty. Nothing about her is pretty. She is annoying as crap. “Find your own sleeping place okay? Don’t follow me!”

 

                “How can I be sure you won’t teleport??” She reasoned.

 

                Looking at her as the bon fire gave light to her pretty face, Kai felt butterflies… and also annoyance. It was mixed feelings actually. He doesn’t know what kind of annoyance this was.

 

                “Y-You just—get away from me okay!” He stormed off.

 

                “Jongin!” She followed.

 

                He blushed again. “Don’t call me that!”

 

                “Idiot!” She called out.

 

                “Did you just call me an idiot!?”

 

                “You said you didn’t want me to call you by your name.. so..”

 

                “UGHH.” He grunted.

 

_____________________________________________________________

 

                Back at Kris’ house.. Suho called a meeting. Everyone was at the living room. Sehun,Xiumin,Chen and Tao sat at the couch. Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo crossed sit on the floor. Kris, Lay and Suho were all standing.

                “Where’s Luhan?” Sehun asked.

                “He decided to stay to keep an eye on Sunghee.” Xiumin answered.

                Kris said. “Suho, what is it you wanted to talk about?”

                “I was thinking we should all reunite.” Suho began. “We’re stronger together.”

                “Stronger energy makes us easier to spot. Isn’t that why we split into two?” Lay contradicted.

                “But they killed Sunghee’s friend.” Chanyeol responded with such sad eyes.

                “We can’t just sit around after that.” Kyungsoo agreed. Sehun looked like he agreed too.

                “What do you suggest we do?” Kris asked. “Attacking won’t do us any good since we can’t kill any humans.”

                “Well retreat to Gangwon-do.” Suho suggested.

                “Why in Gangwon-do?” Baekhyun asked.

                “There’s less population and more forests. It’ll be just like flying under the radar.” Suho clarified.

                “Wait a minute.. Gangwon-do?” Xiumin suddenly said. “I remember Kai saying he has accomplices in Gangwon-do.”

                Suho smirked. “That’s right.”

                Everyone looked at him. “You know about that?” Tao asked.

                “I’ve heard Jinki hyung built a mansion somewhere in Taebaek.” Suho said.

                “You mean… Onew hyung?” Kris looked amazed.

                Lay was stunned as well. “A mansion? Where?”

                “I’ve heard it was in a forest.” Suho answered.

                “Is this all true?” Chen asked.

                “It sounds made up.” Xiumin said.

                “It’s from a reliable source.” Suho grinned.

                “Don’t tell me you’ve already made arrangements.” Sehun stared at Suho’s proud grin.

                “As a matter of fact I have.”

                “But what about Sunghee? She still has to go to school.” Chanyeol glanced at Sehun.

                “Oh. Right. I haven’t thought of that.”

                “The final exams are next week. After that.. well it’s graduation. It’s just weeks time.” Sehun added.

                “That’s good!” Kyungsoo said. “It’s not that long of a wait.”

                “Okay, then. Do we all agree?” Kris finally said.

                Everyone nodded.

                “It’s settled then.” Suho ended. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

________________________________________________________________________

Stay Tuned(;