WHAT'S IN A NAME

In The Middle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As the day went on, Mino’s friends and workers at the bistro have already rounded up a visit.

 

Through it all, Joohyun remained to be by his side. The next morning, she knows that Mino only has 4 hours to wake up, or he will be declared under coma.

 

She went inside his room and held his hand right away.

 

“I told you I don’t hate you yesterday, but I’m starting to feel otherwise now. You’re making me worried sick. You’re still not waking up.”

 

She knew his family would be taking over the last few hours of the 24-hour timeline Dr. Park gave him, so she wanted to soak up all her emotions to him right now.

 

“Bub, sorry for not talking to you for days, I really am sorry. And if this is your way of punishing me, then you’ve succeeded already. I am in so much pain right now, you have no idea. Please, wake up. Mino! Song Mino! Bub!”

 

She poured her tears and remaining energy. She was jetlagged, and she already dried herself in crying. Joohyun knows that if anything happens, she might just pass out.

 

“I love you, Mino. Don’t leave me like this.” She whispered to him.

 

Then she felt his hand move under her grasp.

 

“Mino?” She called him. His hand moved again upon hearing his name.

 

“Bub?” She tried another shot and he moved once again.

 

“If you can hear me, can you lift a finger when I call your name? Can you do that, Mino?” She gasped when slowly, very slowly, his pointer finger lifted up.

 

“Bub! Just stay there, bub. You need to wake up. Can you do that for me?” She was battling with herself if she needs to call the nurse or wait to see him wake up.

 

"Water…"

 

Joohyun screamed when she heard his low voice. It was as if someone scary jumped in front of her and it made her feel silly. She then called the nurse and mumbled about him asking for water.

 

The nurse ran to the room and checked on Mino.

 

"He moved his hand and asked for water. He really did!" She told her, in case she did not want to believe her.

 

In that moment, she felt Mino hold her hand. Shivers ran through her spine as she slowly looked up to his face, his two eyes staring back at her.

 

"I love you too." He said under his breath.

 

Joohyun cried as the nurse asked her to step aside to check on Mino. She did so without taking her eyes off him. His gaze followed her as the nurse called Dr. Park.

 

Seungyoon flew in to the door first, and was followed closely by the older doctor. They busied themselves checking on him. Joohyun felt useless inside that she slowly dragged her feet outside the room.

 

As soon as she stepped out, Jiyong and Jennie came rushing to her. She gave them an update and told them how Mino responded to her.

 

Jennie hugged her so tight, it almost felt like she's losing breath. "Thank you so much for waking him up."

 

She started crying and let herself drown in Jennie's arms. Jiyong stood next to them covering his mouth as if he's trying his best not to shout out his relief.

 

Dr. Park went out to them and hugged Jiyong.

 

"He's ok. We still need to keep him for his leg injury, but he's fine now. Thanks to this lady here."

 

They all looked at her and she just wanted the floor to eat her alive.

 

"I just held his hand, Dr. Park. You're the one who helped him out of danger." She told the doctor out of gratitude.

 

He just smiled at him and offered a fatherly tap on her shoulder.

 

Dr. Park looked back to Jiyong. "You can see him now. Dr. Kang is with him should you need any help."

 

Jiyong immediately head inside followed by Jennie. Joohyun didn’t want to interrupt so she headed to Aunt Minjung’s room.

 

A nurse was just about to leave her bedside when she spotted her. “Joohyun, how are you?”

 

“I should be the one asking you that, Aunt Minjung.” She smiled at her.

 

She sighed at her, closing her eyes. “I really just want to get out of here. I feel so useless just lying in bed the entire day.”

 

Joohyun took her hand when she opened her eyes and Aunt Minjung frowned at the sight of her tears. “What’s wrong, dear?”

 

“He just woke up.” She simply said. The old lady immediately knew who she was referring to, and she cried.

 

“Oh, thank God. Thank God!”

 

They spent the next thirty minutes comforting each other before she decided to see if she can visit Mino.


 

She stayed outside to wait for her turn, but Jiyong stuck his head out after a few minutes.

 

"Joohyun? Come here."

 

She stood up and smiled back, "I'll just go in after you. He should be with family first."

 

"You're family, Joohyun. And that's not just because you woke him up, but because he loves you. Jennie treats you as a sister too."

 

It did not escape Joohyun that Jiyong did not feel the same familial way towards her. She couldn't blame him after what Suzy did.

 

"I can just wait here-"

 

Jiyong walked to her and extended a hand, "He's looking for you."

 

She struggled to hide her gasp but failed to do so. Her tears started to collect at the corner of her eyes as she took his hand and muttered, "OK."

 

Just when they were about to approach Mino's room, Joohyun suddenly held Jiyong's arm.

 

"I'm sorry."

 

He turned to her with a questioning look on his face.

 

"For everything my sister did." She moved to bow down to her feet when Jiyong caught her arms.

 

"You don't have to apologize, Joohyun. You are not your sister. And whatever happened has already been mended by Suzy. I should be the one apologizing, because of all the trouble she's facing now." He told her.

 

Joohyun breathed easily and looked up to him. "Maybe this is what she needs to make up for all the bad decisions she had in the past."

 

He nodded at her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter