DOUBLE DUTY

In The Middle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mino ran to the designated room and saw Dara breathing heavily. He stood next to her and held her hand.

“I’m here, Dara noona. Jiyong hyung is on his way.” He didn’t know what to do or say, actually. He hasn’t been in this situation before.

 

Jiyong flew this morning for a conference in Tokyo, and it probably will take him three more hours to get to the hospital.

 

Dara tried to remain calm, and is actually giving orders to the nurses. “Please check my blood pressure again. My headache is killing me. Monitor it, please.”

“Dr. Park, please calm down. Let me check you.” Another doctor got in and few more nurses.

“Jiyeon unnie, call Hyorin. I think my blood pressure is spiking up.” Dara ordered her cousin, also her doctor, in front of her. 

“Please calm down. It will spike up if you keep on stressing about this.”

Mino felt Dara’s grip loosened a bit. So this is how doctors get treated by other doctors too.

 

“Mino, look away or leave now. It will be a little nauseating here for you.” Dara warned him as Dr. Park started moving around the lower half of her body.

“But Jiyong hyung told me to stay with yaaaaaaaaah-whatthehellisgoingon?” Mino saw the doctor insert something and checked on his noona’s private parts.

“I told you.” She breathlessly laughed at him. She knows that he’s a scaredy cat.

“We can’t wheel you in yet, Dr. Park. You’re not yet ready.”

“But the pain is already ing me up, Jiyeon unnie!!!” Dara yelled her name and that made Mino got scared for a while.

“Relax, mommy Park. We’ll deal with the pain, ok?” She motioned to the nurses and they all got busy checking her stats.

 

“I’m here, I’m here.” Hyorin, a cardiologist and Dara’s friend went inside the room.

“Check my blood pressure, please.” Dara demanded, and she just laughed at her.

“Let the doctors do their job, Dara unnie.” She greeted Dr. Jiyeon Park and they both try to stifle a laugh.

“You just need to relax, ok? You’ll need the energy later to push the twins out.” Jiyeon said nonchalantly as her eyes were busy checking the chart handed by the nurse.

 

“Twins?!”

 

Mino and Dara both looked surprised.

“Sorry, Dara. I have always wanted to tell you this but you kept on shutting me out.”

Dara wanted to sit up, but her lower back pained her back to bed. “I have to tell Jiyong. We only shopped for one baby.”

Hyorin laughed at her again. “Your husband is the richest man in Korea, and you’re worried about that?”

 

********

 

It’s been two hours now. Jennie insisted to stay outside, and Joohyun left already.

 

Doc Jiyeon checks on her every once in a while, but Dara is getting impatient now.

Mino doesn’t know if he wanted to be the person to stay with her in case she gets wheeled out for labor.

“I shouldn’t have told Jiyong to leave this morning. I need my husband right now.” Dara seems to be a little delirious now.

“I’m here, noona.” He shushed her, never losing her hand in his.

“Kwon Jiyooooong!” She screamed out of nowhere, and as if on cue, his brother ran inside the room.

“I’m here now, Dara. I’m here.” His brother stood to where he is and got her wife’s hand from him. He looked like he was about to cry at any moment now.

 

The door opened, and Jiyeon checked Dara down there again.

“Please prepare the delivery room.” She motioned to the nurses. “By the way, you’re having twins, Kwon Sajang.”

“Twins?!” Jiyong looked frozen in a moment and quietly let a tear roll on his cheek.

“Hang in there, Dara.” He leaned over and kissed his wife. That was Mino’s cue.

“Thank you for staying with her, Mino.” His brother called out for him before he left the room.

 

There was something endearing to what he just witnessed there. Jiyong, an only child who have always wanted to have a sibling, is now becoming a father of twins. He must have felt relieved that he will not have a lonely child. Mino smiled to himself as he sat beside Jennie.

 

After another hour, Jiyong walked back to them with the happiest smile in his face. He was speechless, and he just wanted to hug his siblings out of joy.

Mino rested his head on his brother’s shoulder, like a child. He’s sincerely happy for him. No amount of hatred left in his heart. Maybe it’s true that a child brings joy to the family.

 

********

 

“Unnie. Unnie, please wake up.”

 

Joohyun woke up and saw Jennie staring at her.

“Unnie, we’re at the hospital.”

She sat up st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter