WE'RE ON[the]LINE

In The Middle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mino stepped inside the EXO Electronics office with Junhoe walking behind him. Jennie, Hanbin, Taehyun, Wendy, Seulgi and Bobby (who came with Jisoo for a short break from business school) were already inside the conference room.

He was directed to where they are and was greeted by a couple of new faces led by Kim Junmyeon.

 

“Good morning, Mr. Song. Let me introduce my team.” He motioned to each of the guys standing next to him.

“This is Byun Baekhyun, Park Chanyeol, Kim Minseok and Oh Sehun.”

He greeted them one by one, and introduced his team as well. He can see Junmyeon still eyeing Jennie, and Hanbin now.

The guy named Sehun distributed a testing protocol guideline to them as Junmyeon started discussing how they will be conducting the test.

Mino doesn’t really know much about this, but he requested Taehyun to take note of the meeting. He was exchanging jargons with the rest of the EE guys, along with Wendy.

“We will start the test tomorrow then. The codes will be provided by Ms. Wendy Son and procedures will be monitored by Mr. Nam Taehyun, Ms. Kim Jennie and Mr. Kim Hanbin.” Junmyeon announced in behalf of the team.

 

Mino approved of the setup and is ready to leave when Taehyun stopped him. “Hyung, I think you should join us too.”

“Why? I think you guys can handle this.”

Taehyun moved closer, “I don’t feel good about these guys. They kept asking for the program codes. Your presence will definitely intimidate them.”

Mino considered this. It will require him a whole day out of the office. Then he remembered what Joohyun warned Jennie.

 

“Mr. Kim, I would like to oversee the test myself tomorrow as well. Please expect me there.” He smiled politely to him.

“Of course, Mr. Song.” Junmyeon bowed to him, then shot a knowing look to Minseok.


 

********

 

“Whatever you’re planning, I want you to drop it.” Taeyeon met with Junmyeon and his team after Jiyong called her.

Mino doesn’t really feel good about that meeting earlier, so he decided to take it up to his brother.

“We’re not planning anything, Ms. Kim.” Baekhyun answered her.

“Your word, Junmyeon-ssi.” Taeyeon insisted.

 

He heaved a huge sigh and smiled back at her. “You’re really taking their side now. I am disappointed, Ms. Kim.”

“If you think I’m taking their side, you’re wrong. You don’t want to mess with the Kwons, with YGE. They have the public's trust, and that is exactly what LSM wanted to gain from this project. If something wrong happens, we will be put in a negative light.”

“Can you please set aside your friendship with the Kwons for a while? Business is still business. We may be shaking their hands now, but in three years, they will be our rivals again. We need to make something out of this project before it ends. Did you know they’re building their own digital team now?”

“This is their project. It’s only logical for them to start their own digital team now to help them sustain it.” She snapped back to him. The others looked on uneasily.

“How can you be sure that they’re not getting information from us too? They put Nam Taehyun on this project, and we both know what that guy can do, or what he actually did.”

Taeyeon paused and looked around. She’s on the losing end of this conversation.

 

“Just make sure to keep me updated, Mr. Kim. I want to know everything you plan to do.”

 

********

 

Contrary to what they felt during their first meeting, the test actually went by smoothly.

A couple of adjustments are still needed, but Mino can now see the project rolling in two weeks.

 

“Wow, I never thought she’s really that pretty.” Taehyun whispered behind Mino as they stepped outside of the testing room.

Taeyeon was talking with Junmyeon. It really shouldn't bother him, but he suddenly felt weird about their pocket meeting.

“Let’s go now.” Mino tried to shake off the negativities in his head.

 

They boarded the elevator when one hand stopped to join them.

“Sorry, Mr. Song. Please go ahead.” Sehun hastily said upon seeing the entire YGE party inside.

“Don’t worry about it.” He asked him to hop in.

The guy squeezed himself in front of Mino. It was a pretty normal trip down to the lobby when the elevator stopped at the 18th floor.

 

Everything happened in slow motion. Joohyun looked up the same time as him, and their eyes met.

She stepped back, seeing the crowd inside when Jennie grabbed her.

Joohyun gave everyone a quick nod and stood closely to Jennie.

 

Standing behind them made it easier for him to see that Joohyun is actually avoiding Sehun.

His thoughts were interrupted when the elevator stopped. Joohyun did not even look back at him and started walking away. But what bothered him most is seeing Sehun trying to catch up with her.

 

********

 

“Damn it, Joohyun. You should have just taken that empty, faulty elevator.”

Joohyun was mumbling to herself as she paced her steps quickly out of sight of the people she was with at the elevator.

“Joohyun.”

She pretended not to hear him calling her. But his voice is sounding louder, probably catching up with her speed.

“What do you want, Sehun?” She stopped and turned to see the young man following her.

“Joohyun, I just--Can we talk?”

“No.”

Sehun took another step and grabbed her wrist. “I’ve been meaning to talk to you, and this is the first time I’ve seen you in a long time.”

“Can’t you take a hint? I’m avoiding you.” Joohyun yanked her hand away from him.

 

“Is everything ok here?”

Joohyun closed her eyes and looked down. Great, Mino is here too.

“No. He was just asking something about work. I’m leaving now.” She immediately reasoned out.

She started walking away when Mino caught up with her. “Let me drive you home.”

“What? No-” But Mino is already guiding her to his car as the valet gave him his keys.

 

********

 

“Are you avoiding me, Joohyun?” Mino asked her.

She was sulking and kept looking away from him. He didn’t even know what happened to her. Ever since their talk outside the bistro, she has been cold to him.

“Why would you say that?” She asked coldly, still looking outside.

Mino doesn’t feel good about this. He’s feeling a bit impatient towards her attitude, and he knows he need to know what’s wrong.

“Did you have dinner already?” He asked.

“I’ll just eat at home.” She answered back.

“Why don’t you join me for dinner? Ok, you know what? I’m not taking no for an answer. We’re having dinner together.” He sensed that she’ll turn him down, so he set the line straight. He will find out what’s bothering Bae Joohyun tonight.

 

They parked outside a quiet street, and Joohyun was hesitant to leave the car.

“Where are we, Mino?” A slight irritation draped on her words.

He smiled upon hearing her voice again. “Just go with me, ok?”

 

They were walking uphill into a residential area, until they reached a quaint little compound with lit up lanterns outside.

Joohyun gasped as they entered the gates. It was a traditional Korean home that’s been transformed into a restaurant of some sort.

T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter