THE LAST

In The Middle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you ready?”

 

Jiyong, Hayi, Junhoe and Mino are on their way to the board room for the quarterly meeting. It will be Mino’s first time to attend one and it’s killing him.

“I am, but my body is not cooperating.” Mino answered, as he clutched the presentation he prepared.

Junhoe kept on mumbling nonsense behind him and it’s not helping at all. As soon as they got inside, Mino looked around nervously and pulled his assistant beside him.

“Don’t call me Master Song during the meeting. I am Mr. Song for now, ok? Stop what you’re doing, you’re making me nervous. If everything goes fine, I’ll treat you later. Whatever you want to eat. Got it?”

“I want lobster and steak--”

“Don’t push it.” He sneered at him. “Hello, Mr. Choi.”

Seunghyun sat beside him. “How are you feeling?”

 

“Terrified, but happy.”

 

It’s true. He’s only terrified now, but he’s extremely happy. This whole tiptoeing into their feelings with Joohyun is adding a spring in his step. It actually feels like being a teenager again.

Right on cue, he received a message from her.

Good luck, Chef Song!

Yes, he’s happy.

 

********

 

“At least that went well.” Jiyong invited him for lunch, along with Junhoe.

He did not order lobster and steak, but he was happy to share the table with the siblings and Jennie’s friends, who dropped by the Enterprise that day.

“Good thing Seunghoon hyung gave me a heads up about that Jeju contract. Junhoe was able to gather last minute updates from the investors. The new CFO is no joke, hyung.” Mino had a little Q&A session earlier with Eun Jiwon regarding the budget constraints of their new project.

“He’s doing a great job. He’s retracing the mess from the whole YHS scandal, and he’s able to anticipate the rise of our stock in the market after BP. I feel better having him to work on our finances now.”

Mino sighed deeply as he looked over Jennie, who’s having a nice chat with her friends. “I’m just glad things are running smoothly with BP now. 89% successful user rate is a good start.”

“That’s one less problem, right?” Jiyong asked him.

“Yes. We’re actually planning to drop by the bistro this weekend, me and the guys. I finally got the time to take a shift.”

He is still taking lessons with his brother regarding his job, but the amount of responsibilities are piling high on him. He barely even set his foot at the bistro, and he misses it.

 

They are on their way back to the Enterprise when Jiyong asked him to join him in his car. Junhoe drove his Audi back as Mino sat beside his brother.

“I think you should give up the bistro now, Mino.”

“You’re kidding, right?” He was expecting his brother to say so.

“I’m not forcing the idea, but I mean it.” His brother looked straight at him.

“I can’t do that. This is my first business--”

Jiyong rested a hand on his shoulder, asking him to calm down. “I’m not telling you to leave the bistro altogether. I just want you to stop working as a chef there.”

 

But cooking is what makes him happy. He would’ve stayed being the head cook if only he did not agree to work for his brother.

“That’s a hard thing to give up. I mean, none of these responsibilities would have come up if you did not offer me the job.” His brother smiled and agreed with him.

“I know, but you accepted it. And to be honest, I’m proud of the hard work you are putting into this job. You’re doing great, Mino.”

“Are you somehow bribing me so I won’t leave everything for the bistro?” It’s so rare to punch in this kind of joke to his brother and he’s taking this advantage.

“What? No! Besides, it will be hard for you to find a girlfriend if you just keep on working. Do you want Jennie to get married before you?”

The topic made him blush, and Jiyong was quick to notice.

“Unless you’re keeping something from me.”

He just smiled back to his brother and kept his mouth shut.

Jiyong remained unbothered, but he knows someone who will probably do.

 

********

 

“I’m not sure this weekend, Jen.”

Jennie called Joohyun and invited her to a pampering session this coming weekend. As much as she wanted to join them, Mino already asked her out to watch a movie.

 

But I miss hanging out with you. My friends are leaving next week, and we want to hang out with you guys.

“I really want to join you, but I already have a plan.”

She bit her lip, trying to avoid giving more info about her weekend plans.

Are you going out on a date?

Joohyun lowered her voice as she exited the hallway going to her office.

“No, it’s not a date.” Something caught her eye though, and it made her heart beat like crazy.

Crazy mad.

“Wait, Jen. There’s something I have to deal with at work.”

 

She dropped the call and walked back to her desk, where her sister is casually sitting. Her office mates gathered around her as she kept flaunting her long legs and exploding chest to the delight of the male crowd.

“There’s my sister!”

Suzy stood up, making sure her s bounce with her every step. “I’ve been waiting.”

“Why didn’t you tell us about your sister, Joohyun?” The guy behind her desk told her, his eyes fixed on Suzy’s chest.

“Joohyun? I didn’t know you’re using that name here.” Her evil sister faked a laugh, and they all bought it.

“We’re not allowed to have visitors here during office hours. Can you please leave now?” She calmly told her.

“But I’ve been here for a while and no one mentioned anything about that.” She was teasing her and it’s making her want to yank her hair away from her desk.

“Let’s get you out of here before any of the superiors see you.” She grabbed her wrist and started walking away.

“Relax, Irene unnie. I’m leaving anyway. Come walk with me to the lobby?”

Joohyun flinched at the name she called her. This is a disaster.

 

“How did you know about where I work and where my desk is?” She asked Suzy as they waited for an elevator.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter