VOICE OF REASON

In The Middle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Four years ago, I fell in love with a princess. We were both reckless and stupid, but we're also geniuses."

 

Jennie cringed from her seat as Taehyun addressed the student board regarding her thesis.

"Does he really have to start this way?" She whispered next to Hanbin.

"I think it's working." He answered, while looking around the interested and curious faces of the committee. His eyes landed to Dahyun, who has a scowl on her face.

 

"We ran away to Daegu. On our way there, we were throwing out ideas on what should be a cool business project where our skills can be utilized. That's where the Black Project started. I wrote the design and wireframe, which Dahyun-ssi refers to now as her research paper model."

"How can we be sure that you have not copied the idea from her research paper?" A burly professor asked him.

"I'm not a reader. I'm sure I would never read a business research paper even if it's right in front of me. You're thinking too much about this. Two things can be similar in concept, but it doesn't mean that they're the same. Our project is born out of a reckless, drunken adventure, while yours is made out of boring research and online surfing."

Another professor cleared . "Forgive me, but weren't you a drop out student at SNU?"

"Yes. But can we also take note that I was smart enough to get in?" He sneered at them.

Jennie tried to hide her grin by keeping shut.

"And weren't you accused of the YGE employee database hacking?"

"It's an accusation, and nothing was confirmed. I believe the Kwons never released any names regarding the incident." Nam kept grinning.

"Aren't you recently involved in a fiasco between SMI and YGE lately?"

"Now that, I have legal documents acquitting me of the accusation. What are you doing now, Prof. Snape? Trying to attack my character based on assumptions and false accusations are actually grounds for defamation. I'm here to share my piece on how utterly bull the reason is for a young, intelligent woman to not be able to graduate just because an angry ex girlfriend wants a piece of her boyfriend back. YGE is currently lining up their legal team to take this matter to court if you won't take your heads out of your asses. Seriously, Blackpink is up and running, and is being used by 65% of the Korean public. This thesis is the foundation of that digital phenomenon and you're disrespecting it. Jennie should be given an outstanding recognition for being able to do that while being an SNU student. What the hell is wrong with you?"

Jennie had tears in her eyes, and utmost respect to Taehyun. Years of hatred and revenge has all been wiped out entirely as he defended her, and their little project.

"Thank you." She mouthed at him, which he returned with his own toothy grin.

 

--------

 

The news of Jennie's graduation made Mino's day, but fear rushed through him as he stood in front of Joohyun's room.

 

"Suzy?" He knocked.

"Go away." She answered.

Mino insisted on knocking at the door. "You can't just drop a name and leave me hanging. You know I won't stop bugging you about this."

The door slightly opened and Suzy's exhausted face welcomed him.

"We're going to need a drink." She told him.

 

Mino rummaged the kitchen and saw the bottle of rum lingering in a corner.

"This ok with you?" He asked her. She already chose to sit on the kitchen barstool.

"That will do. I need food too. Order something up." She said while staring outside the window.

Mino called a quick delivery of greasy snacks and deep fried chicken to match their drink.

As soon as he sat across her, Suzy is already downing her second shot.

"Ease up, soldier." He told her as he slowly grabbed the bottle next to him.

Silence fell between them.

"You've had with my sister?" She asked out of nowhere.

Mino almost dropped the glass he was holding midway of emptying the rum in it.

"Totally caught me off guard there." He breathed and finished off his drink.

"To answer your weird question, and I don't really know why, I have."

She smiled while fixing her gaze on her empty glass.

"Good."

"Please take your time spouting nonsense. This is extremely not awkward." Mino tapped his hand on the counter. He has no idea where this conversation is going.

"I know how much my sister hates me, but the truth is, I love her. Every time someone asks her out, I always throw myself out there to know their intentions. And I'm always right. They're only after one thing. They want to be the one to break her. So I'd rather take their hits, than let my pristine sister get boned by the wrong guy."

Mino felt uncomfortable listening to Suzy's heartfelt admission.

"That's some twisted way of declaring love for your sister."

She smirked and slowly looked at him. "Is it weird that I don't mind? I am the family . I'm just living it."

"Joohyun lost her confidence because she thought no one really likes her." Mino recalled her insecurities spilled on him during their trip to Busan.

"I still don't regret doing it because it led her to you. I tried to corrupt you, remember? And you looked disgusted." She laughed as if it was a funny memory.

"I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter