STANCE AND CHANCES

In The Middle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Master Song.”

Mino almost dropped his phone when Junhoe appeared beside him.

“Don’t do that ever again or I’ll have you replaced by a sloth!”

Junhoe looked scared. “Apologies, Master Song. I just want to tell you that your brother will be going straight to the Park’s rest house before meeting you here. The twins will join them only if they will feel alright from the trip.”

Mino took note of everything he said and nodded.

“Then I’ll be staying here at the lounge. Go talk to Jiho’s assistant and coordinate for the lunch meeting.”

“I’ll go look for Jihoon-ssi then, Master Song.” Junhoe walked away even before he can dismiss him.

He sat there quietly, reading a newspaper but mostly on the sports pages.

 

“Miss your girl too?”

He turned to see Jiho standing next to him, with a coffee cup and sports magazine in hand.

Sungkyung invited Joohyun for a stroll outside and to have brunch together.

“They seem to be having a great time.” Mino showed Jiho the photos his girlfriend sent him.

Jiho took the empty seat in front of Mino and showed his phone to him as well.

“Kyungie likes her. She’s been bugging me to invite you to our wedding. I’ll expect to see you there, I guess.”

“Just let us know where and when.” Mino told him.

“I’ll have Jihoon send you the details. That means I’m invited to your wedding too, right?” Jiho caught him off-guard.

“Of course, but it’s not happening anytime soon.” He truthfully told him.

“Why, are you having doubts? You seem to look good together. I mean, not that I wanted to gossip about you two.” Jiho retreated defensively.

Mino laughed at the thought of the two of them gossiping about their girlfriends. “It’s nothing like that. I have no doubts about us. It’s just that Joohyun loves her job so much. I want her to enjoy her career more.”

Jiho looked at him intently. “Marrying men like us is like handing them a life sentence to stand beside us for better or worse business ventures. Sungkyung worries about it a lot. She’s afraid we’ll end up like those couples in the society. Mistresses, illegitimate children--” He stopped and saw Mino nodding in agreement. “I didn’t mean any offense, Mino.”

“None taken. You’re right. I used to think that too, but then I saw my brother and his wife living in perfect harmony. I guess what the elders didn’t realize before is that they married for business, not for love. My father did not force Jiyong hyung to go through that and he married the love of his life.”

“You’re doing a great job in converting me to a Kwon Jiyong fanboy.” Jiho admitted.

“Hey, we’re just talking.” Mino smiled back, but he likes how Jiho is warming up to his brother.

 

Jiho was about to say something when he spotted someone.”Jihoon, right here!”

Mino turned to see who he was talking to. He tried to take a better look, by blinking his eyes a couple times.

“I know you.” He told the guy Jiho referred as Jihoon.

“I knew it! Your assistant owes me money.” Jihoon excitedly mentioned and saw Jiho staring at him.

 

“Good morning, King.”

Mino looked at Jiho with a smug look on his face. He wanted to be called King?

“I can’t help it.”

He nodded in approval. “My assistant calls me Master Song.”

They were both laughing when Mino suddenly thought of it. “Are we abusing our authority?”

“But it’s fun.” Jiho told him.

“Well, as long as they don’t refer to us as that with other people. I always remind Junhoe about it.” He defended himself.

 

Jihoon cleared his throat. That made them both look up.

“Sorry, Jihoon. You have anything for me?” Jiho politely asked him.

“Your invitation was accepted. He’ll be attending the party tomorrow.”

It all sounded too vague for Mino but Jiho seemed to understand it too well.

“Good.” Jiho told his assistant.


 

“Bub!”

Mino bolted up upon hearing that voice.

“Bae,” He called her as soon as he saw them.

Sungkyung ran to Jiho who welcomed her with a hug.

“How was your brunch date?” Mino asked Joohyun.

“I think I’m a little buzzed. We had mimosas.” She whispered to him. She does seem a little tipsy.

“You want some coffee?” He asked her as he tucked some stray hair behind her ear.

She nodded with a pout. Yes, she is buzzed. Mino called in the waiter and asked for a fresh cup.

“Would you like some too?” He asked Sungkyung.

“No, I'm good.” She had her arms locked on Jiho’s, as if she’s about to fall from her chair.

“Just how many mimosas did you two have?” Jiho asked his fiance.

“We lost count, actually.” Sungkyung saw Jihoon looking uncomfortable between the two couples.

“Hello, Jihoon!”

“Hi, noona,” He waved at her.

 

“Wait, you two said you know each other. How so?” Jiho asked Mino and Jihoon.

“We went to the same high school.” Jihoon answered.

“Really?” Joohyun asked Mino, who confirmed it.

“So, are you like friends?” Sungkyung asked.

“No.” They both said it.

“I don’t think we really had a chance to be close.” Mino stared at Jihoon.

“If I remembered it correctly, you spent most of your time hanging out with that skinny sunbae.” Jihoon recounted.

Mino laughed at how he described his friend. “Yes, I did spend a lot of time with Seunghoon hyung.”

Joohyun laughed as she realized what Mino said. “Skinny sunbae? I’m definitely calling him that.”

“Mino was actually a quiet kid. Very smart. That’s why I don’t hangout with him. He even does assignments even if our teacher did not give us any.”

“Yah! Don't make it sound like I’m a nerd.” Mino covered his girlfriend’s ears.

“But I remember that one cool thing you did before you rode that ahjumma’s expensive car and never returned.” Jiho said as he smiled to himself.

“We’re waiting, Jihoon.” His boss told him.

“Wait, what are you--ahhhhh.” Mino knew what he was talking about and pressed his hands again on Joohyun’s ears.

“Mino kissed the prettiest girl in class. We were all cheering for him. Jieun was blushing after you left.” Jihoon smiled like a kid to Mino.

“Did she ask about me after I left?” His curiosity got him, and Joohyun as well.

“Why are you interested to know?”  She snapped at him.

Mino kissed her cheek and held her close to him. “I’m just wondering, bae.”

“No. She was actually secretly dating Haneul that time. They revealed their relationship after what you did though. I think they’re still dating.” The assistant told Mino.

 

Their coffee orders were served and the couples forgot about Jihoon again.

He cleared his throat the third time, a little louder this time. “I think I have to go now. Nice seeing you again, Mino, and meeting you too, Joohyun.”

 

********

 

Jiyong and his family landed to Busan a little before lunch time.

They promised to have lunch with Woo Jiho, but they dropped by Dara’s family rest house first.

“Look at these beautiful babies.” Park Sarang, Dara’s mother, greeted them.

“How have you been, mom?” Dara gave her a hug and peck on her cheek.

“I feel better now that my grandchildren ar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter